Vocalists Who Made You Stop The First Time You Heard Them.

Do talk back
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Vocalists Who Made You Stop The First Time You Heard Them.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2018, 12:56

This is not about singers you greatly admire now, or the greatest vocalists... this is to see if any vocalists actually made you stop what you were doing the very first time you heard them and concentrate until the end of the song. You know - really 'drop everything' and listen.

I can think of three of the top of my head :

Jeff Buckley - I'd been out for a great (drunken) night out with my ex wife, we came home and put the TV on (whilst getting the compulsory Chinese takeway ready) and "Grace" came on one of the late night music shows (possibly The White Room?). I remember just stopping and being completely transfixed by his vocals.... I scribbled his name down and made a point of getting the single/album the next day. I did exactly that and never really looked back. An astonishing voice.

Kate Bush - I'm sure a few others on here are the same... "Wuthering Heights" completely blew me away when I first heard it. Still does. It was one of those "What the fuck is that?" moments.

Billy McKenzie - TOTP.... "Party Fears Two". Billy looking so unbelievably nonchalant (memory serves me right he was wearing a green full length mac!).... and then that voice unveiled itself.... I was absolutely dumbstruck.... I know "Party Fears Two" is a bit like Marmite - but I loved his voice right from the off.... and still luxuriate in its brilliance every so often.

I'm sure there are others, but those three stick out as real 'stopped dead in my tracks' moments.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Charlie O.

Re: Vocalists Who Made You Stop The First Time You Heard Them.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Feb 2018, 13:38

Karen Dalton.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 11 Feb 2018, 13:41

Beefheart , Walker and Dylan. Mark E Smith was another.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Feb 2018, 13:50

The Everly Brothers, Irma Thomas, Timi Yuro, Lorraine Ellison, Ben E King, Arlene Smith (of the Chantels), Patti Smith, Diamanda Gallas, Tony Williams (Platters), Winnie Winfield (Harptones), Johnny Rotten. Among others, I'm sure
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 11 Feb 2018, 13:51

Oh yeah ,Rotten.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

take5_d_shorterer

Postby take5_d_shorterer » 11 Feb 2018, 13:58

Charlie O. wrote:Karen Dalton.

Yes.

On a related note, I was in a parking lot listening to the radio when this came on. I had to wait a minute to compose myself before driving.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2018, 14:04

Rayge wrote:Johnny Rotten.

I had Rotten too but crossed him off because I wasn;t sure in my mind if that was my initial reaction or second or third.
Cocaine

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 Feb 2018, 14:28

Ian Gillan, Sonja Kristina, JJ Cale, Tanita Tikaram
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 11 Feb 2018, 14:31

Wilson Pickett with the Falcons: “I Found A Love.”
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Feb 2018, 14:47

The first time I heard Amy Winehouse I thought to myself, "what the hell is this?"
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 11 Feb 2018, 15:04

pcqgod wrote:The first time I heard Amy Winehouse I thought to myself, "what the hell is this?"

yeah, me too, I'd forgotten that.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Feb 2018, 15:18

Remember hearing Kurt Cobain’s scream on the school bus and being floored by it - I didn’t immediatlely bond with the music but the voice sent chills straight away.

One of the earliest musical memories I have is of hearing Rod Stewart’s singing - I was hooked immediately by the voice more than anything else. There are still moments when I hear his singing that I can transport myself back to that first moment (a little bit like on some rare occasions when I’m drinking beer I can get the taste/smell from the very first time I had beer). Led to a lifelong love of cracked/smokey voices.

Neil Young is another, for quite different reasons. I was very (very) late to hearing him for the first time (one of those people I always knew of but didn’t hear anything by) and by then I was already singing and performing but was always very self-conscious of my voice. The moment I heard Neil Young was the first time I heard someone sing like me - I actually thought it *was* me at first and that someone was having a joke. I *hated* my voice and was so reassuring to hear that someone could make a career with a voice like that. I’ve subsequently appreciated that he probably sings a bit better than me but anyway :-).
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Feb 2018, 15:30

Rayge wrote:
pcqgod wrote:The first time I heard Amy Winehouse I thought to myself, "what the hell is this?"

yeah, me too, I'd forgotten that.

Absolutely. Of artists in recent years there aren’t many otherwise where the voice has hit me immediately me - Anthony Johnson is another i suppose where I wondered where on earth this was coming from, even if the music wasn’t always my kind of thing. God I could really do with someone new whose voice hits me straight away - been way too long.

There are plenty where I knew the music/singing long before I understood, appreciated, or reacted to, the voice. Most soul singers fall into this bracket to me unfortunately. I’m trying to think of female singers whom I reacted to straight away and can’t think of any right now. Björk is perhaps the closest - I couldn’t believe how beautiful it could be when I first heard it.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 11 Feb 2018, 16:17

Antony Hegarty

and of course his brother Den.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Feb 2018, 16:21

Bjork, with the Sugarcubes ("Birthday"). I won't say I was an immediate fan - or that I'm a Bjork fan now, for that matter - but it was definitely a kind of "what is that?" moment. [Whoops, just saw that Geezee mentioned her too.]

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2018, 16:27

Charlie O. wrote:Karen Dalton.

You know what Charlie - I've never (knowingly) heard her.

I just went and checked her (incredibly short) career out... wow. Thank you!
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Feb 2018, 16:46

Liz.
One Monday night, listening to Superclean Dreammachine on AVRO Radio, playing Song To The Siren, back in 1984.
I wanted to crawl in the speaker to hear it even better.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 11 Feb 2018, 17:05

never/ever wrote:Liz.
One Monday night, listening to Superclean Dreammachine on AVRO Radio, playing Song To The Siren, back in 1984.
I wanted to crawl in the speaker to hear it even better.

Yeah, I thought of her too, and the same song.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Feb 2018, 17:29

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Antony Hegarty.

I hadn't given much notice of him until I saw him as part of Lou Reed's band performing the entire Berlin-album and him giving a stunning encore of Stephanie Says.
Could very well be that after one hour of the crow-like voice of Lou that his croon sounded like manna from heaven though...
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Feb 2018, 18:07

Bjork, first time I heard the Sugarcubes' "Birthday" on college radio. I didn't catch the back-announce to hear who the artist was, and was afraid I would never hear that song again. Of course they did play it again, and I picked up the Cubes record as soon as it came out & saw them live that summer at a small theater in Philadelphia. That was a neat discovery, a brand new thing that exceeded expectations. There were a lot of things I liked about it but undeniably, it was that voice that made me go HEY!

Also Keith Morris the first time I heard early Black Flag, the outtake of "Gimme Gimme Gimme", side one of Everything Went Black. That was a WHOA! THIS IN INTENSE! kinda moment.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”