Beefheart on German TV.

Do talk back
bobzilla77

Re: Beefheart on German TV.

Postby bobzilla77 » 09 Feb 2018, 23:30

FUCK YEAH it is!

That version of Steal Softly Thru Snow is killer, and I think I finally understand how to play it after staring at Ed Marimba's left foot for several minutes.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 09 Feb 2018, 23:42

That is dancing music.
You don't like me...do you?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 23:49

It's horrible: ugly, twiddly nonsense. Seriously, how do people listen to stuff like that?
File it along with unlistenable 'experimental' stuff from the seventies like Hatfield & The North.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 09 Feb 2018, 23:51

The Modernist wrote:It's horrible: an ugly, discordant racket. Seriously, how do people listen to stuff like that?
File it along with unlistenable 'experimental' stuff from the seventies like Hatfield & The North.

You just need an in G. Like a lot of music, it sometimes needs a key to open it up.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 09 Feb 2018, 23:57

Monster Boss!
uggy poopy doody.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2018, 00:00

yomptepi wrote:
The Modernist wrote:It's horrible: an ugly, discordant racket. Seriously, how do people listen to stuff like that?

You just need an in G. Like a lot of music, it sometimes needs a key to open it up.

There have been times I've enjoyed him believe it or not! But I find this side of him more annoying the older I get, it just feels so gimmicky and pretentious. I'm probably reacting to how popular he is on here as well if I'm honest (as he's BCB's sacred cow), just like Jimboo was on The Beatles thread.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Feb 2018, 00:02

G please give this a go:

if you can't dig it - and I mean REALLY dig it! - then I'm not speaking to you again
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2018, 00:07

What kind of extreme statement is that!? :lol:
You're probably joking.. but with Beefheart I can't tell because he's put on such a pedestal around here.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Feb 2018, 00:08

Listen to the bloody thing!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2018, 00:17

Honestly - the music was good: a skewed blues soul gumbo. The vocals didn't add anything at all for me, he's just dribbling on incoherently. Is it meant it be funny? He's the worst thing about the band in my view.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Feb 2018, 00:21

Oh boy.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2018, 00:44

He's the biggest sacred cow around and always has been. I've given up looking for opposing views on him because they're just not out there, not amongst the critical rock establishment anyway. He's the artist who unites the post-punkers and the proggers, more importantly he's become this rite of passage for anyone who considers themselves a serious music fan who wants to dig deeper away from the mainstream. So you get a kind of fait accompli around him, he's immune to the kind of criticism or fashionable revisionism that affect just about any other artist. He's like this article of faith for a certain kind of music fan.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Feb 2018, 00:48

Apart from his first record, I can pretty much take it or leave it. Happy now, G?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Feb 2018, 00:52

Very Stable Baron wrote:Apart from his first record, I can pretty much take it or leave it. Happy now, G?

Yes! :D
Even though I've probably been put on ignore by the rest of BCB!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Feb 2018, 01:01

'dribbling on incoherently' is so far from the truth. It's clear you didn't even bother to listen.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Feb 2018, 02:40

Moddie probably just hates Beefhesrt's hair.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Feb 2018, 02:42

Harvey K-Tel wrote:Moddie probably just hates Beefhesrt's hair.

And that pants-shoes combo.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 10 Feb 2018, 09:44

My first experience of Beefheart was Trout Mask Replica. I had absolutely no idea what it was. Poetry, impenetrable rhythms, random guitar shrillness. I had no idea. It wasn't until I listened to The Spotlight kid, and in particular White Jam that it all made sense. His poetry is so beautiful. The band are so tight. And the songs are made so that you will always find something new every time you listen. I never tire of his records, and they never cease to thrill me. It isn't something I can share in the car, or at a gathering, but something I can enjoy for myself.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Feb 2018, 21:57

To some extent, I agree with G, but I'm coming at it from the other side. I mean, I love Trout Mask Replica, Shiny Beast, etc, but I don't get why so many are willing to accept the oddness of those albums, but wouldn't dream of listening to U.S. Maple or The Lemon Kittens, etc. I know the answer here is going to be the usual "but they're shite lol" that I normally get here, but I'm looking for a deeper answer. If he hadn't started off in the world of faintly stodgy blues rock (yeah, I'm not really a fan of Safe as Milk), I think very few here would accept the off-kilter nature of his odder albums. I don't understand how you can listen and love TMR, but then write off the vast majority of avant-garde/experimental as talentless dribbling. Why does Beefheart get a pass?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Feb 2018, 21:59

‘faintly stodgy blues rock’ - there’s another one!

Return to “Yakety Yak”