Return of The Old Grey Whistle Test

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Return of The Old Grey Whistle Test

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Feb 2018, 13:48

I'm listening to Radio 4 where they have just said that the BBC are bringing back The Old Grey Whistle Test -
What about that then! ? ! ?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Return of The Old Grey Whistle Test

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Feb 2018, 13:49

Oh it's just a one off.
Carry on.
AS YOU WERE

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 13:55

The BBC really should try and create a new music show. Jools is well past his sell by date. They haven't really made any effort in this at all have they..which is pretty bad for a public service broadcaster where an important part of the remit is its cultural engagement.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Feb 2018, 13:58

Exactly! Hence my excitement, dampened immediately like sandbags on my flame of optimism.

Dr Markus wrote:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Feb 2018, 13:58

The Modernist wrote:The BBC really should try and create a new music show. Jools is well past his sell by date. They haven't really made any effort in this at all have they..which is pretty bad for a public service broadcaster where an important part of the remit is its cultural engagement.

Marc Riley did a great pilot show (or shows) that were on the iPlayer a couple of years ago.Really good new bands on - full of old blokes with Jazzmasters playing angular nouveau post-punk (many of whom feature on his R6M show).
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 14:00

Me I'd mix it up. I'd have a mixture of new music and features on older artists: live performances, interviews, archive features. A bit like a less youth orientated version of the Tube. My main market would be intelligent music fans between 25-40, although you would hope they'd be some appeal outside that demographic obviously.
It shouldn't be that hard to come up with something half decent.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 14:04

The Modernist wrote:Me I'd mix it up. I'd have a mixture of new music and features on older artists: live performances, interviews, archive features. A bit like a less youth orientated version of the Tube. My main market would be intelligent music fans between 25-40, although you would hope they'd be some appeal outside that demographic obviously.

Precisely.

I dunno - I guess the audience isn’t there
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 14:11

OCT wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Me I'd mix it up. I'd have a mixture of new music and features on older artists: live performances, interviews, archive features. A bit like a less youth orientated version of the Tube. My main market would be intelligent music fans between 25-40, although you would hope they'd be some appeal outside that demographic obviously.

Precisely.

I don't think its there for a mainstream show at peak viewing time. But 10.00 on a Friday night on BBC2? I think so. They could begin by replacing one of those endless 'comedy' panel shows they have.
When I sometimes read a music article on the Guardian website, I'm always struck by how many commentators there are. When you meet reasonably intelligent twenty somethings and thirty somethings, they're often into their music.
It might not have the cultural power that it did when we were growing up, but I don't think it's become this very fringe interest either.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 09 Feb 2018, 14:13

The Modernist wrote:My main market would be intelligent music fans between 25-40.

Rules out anyone on this board then. That’s probably a very good thing.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 14:16

The Modernist wrote:
OCT wrote:

Precisely.

I don't think its there for a mainstream show at peak viewing time. But 10.00 on a Friday night on BBC2? I think so. They could begin by replacing one of those endless 'comedy' panel shows they have.
When I sometimes read a music article on the Guardian website, I'm always struck by how many commentators there are. When you meet reasonably intelligent twenty somethings and thirty somethings, they're often into their music.
It might not have the cultural power that it did when we were growing up, but I don't think it's become this very fringe interest either.

Forward this last post to the BBC, G. I’ll cohost the show with you. We can burn a Jools Holland effigy on the first one.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 14:19

:D Forget the show, we can just burn the effigy.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 14:31

:)

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Feb 2018, 14:35

The Modernist wrote:
OCT wrote:

Precisely.

And besides, the Beeb don't have to chase ratings all the time - stick it on BBC4 on a Friday!
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 Feb 2018, 15:21

OCT wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
OCT wrote:
Precisely.

Forward this last post to the BBC, G. I’ll cohost the show with you. We can burn a Jools Holland effigy on the first one.

ER... it's MY thread. I'LL be hosting it with that lass from the Lovely Eggs and the surviving members of Fuzzbox THANK YOU.

Dr Markus wrote:

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 15:24

:(

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Feb 2018, 16:13

yeah, it's not hard is it? Christ. You just need the right people doing it.

Give me 50 quid and a haggis supper and I'll get rid of Jools bloody Holland forever.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Feb 2018, 16:33

The Modernist wrote::D Forget the show, we can just burn the effigy.

Fuck the effigy, let's burn Jools!
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 16:40

I've just emailed Mark Cooper at the BBC.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 09 Feb 2018, 17:44

He's just replied!!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Feb 2018, 17:56

Did he tell you to fuck off?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Return to “Yakety Yak”