trans-chigley express

Re: The BCB Blue Note Corner

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Feb 2018, 10:08

I’ve been enjoying this quite a lot recently, just really easy on the ear

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Jan 2019, 05:07

A bunch of reissues, publications, plans and various other stuff are being planned for BN's 80th anniversary this year...

80 years ago on January 6, 1939, a German immigrant and passionate Jazz fan named Alfred Lion produced his first recording session in New York City with two Boogie Woogie pianists, founding what would become the most-respected and longest-running Jazz label in the world. Blue Note Records has gone on to represent The Finest In Jazz, tracing the entire history of the music from Hot Jazz, Boogie Woogie, and Swing, through Bebop, Hard Bop, Post-Bop, Soul Jazz, Avant-Garde, and Fusion, and—after being relaunched by Bruce Lundvall in 1984—has remained the leading label dedicated to documenting today’s vibrant and creatively thriving Jazz scene under the leadership of current President Don Was, who took the helm in 2012.

A special edition of The Blue Note Monthly playlist on Apple Music and Spotify honors the legendary label’s legacy with an overview of the catalog beginning with that very first session featuring Albert Ammons and including the label’s first “hit” (a 1939 recording of “Summertime” by Sidney Bechet), timeless classics like John Coltrane’s “Blue Train” and “Moanin’” by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, and tracks from our current roster including Charles Lloyd, Ambrose Akinmusire, Brian Blade, Terence Blanchard, Robert Glasper, Norah Jones, Gregory Porter, and Kandace Springs.

Throughout 2019 we’ll be celebrating the 80th Anniversary of Blue Note Records with vinyl catalog reissues, the Blue Note Review boxset subscription series, a documentary film, live events, branded apparel, art prints of classic Blue Note imagery, streaming initiatives, and more. Highlights of the year will include.....

http://www.bluenote.com/news/blue-note- ... lebrations
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 11 Jan 2019, 05:12

These 2 from Bobby Hutcherson's San Fransisco LP have been rocking my world for several months now; have had stuck in my head to a crazy degree.

Ummh

Goin' Down South

Magnificent playing, and both are full of memorable hooks.

NOBODY playing the vibes like the fucking Hutch.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Yakety Yak”