Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - WE HAVE THE POWER!

Do talk back
User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8323
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 09 Feb 2018, 21:35

Martial drumming.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50535
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby C » 09 Feb 2018, 21:36

John aka Josh wrote:The Reckoning is also the title of a great album by John Tams. Highly recommend it.


I love John Tams and yes, it is a great album







.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50535
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby C » 09 Feb 2018, 21:36

Nancy wrote:Martial drumming.


Solid. Expressive. Penetrating






.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 35200
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2018, 21:37

C wrote:Image





.


i would add at this particular juncture that i've had a thing for dragonflies all my life.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50535
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby C » 09 Feb 2018, 21:37

Image





.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50535
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby C » 09 Feb 2018, 21:37

VdGG organ






.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50535
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby C » 09 Feb 2018, 21:38

kath wrote:
C wrote:Image





.


i would add at this particular juncture that i've had a thing for dragonflies all my life.


The thing is kath the illustration is not a dragonfly....







.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8323
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 09 Feb 2018, 21:38

Not many bands make albums this good this late in their careers.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 35200
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2018, 21:39

C wrote:
John aka Josh wrote:The Reckoning is also the title of a great album by John Tams. Highly recommend it.


I love John Tams and yes, it is a great album







.


i do not know who john tams is.

i am constantly trying to learn these things.

epicky epicness goin awnnnn here.... gweeetar

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50535
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby C » 09 Feb 2018, 21:39

Lambert's guitar is so subtle throughout but each note hits the spot perfectly






.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 35200
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2018, 21:40

C wrote:
kath wrote:
C wrote:Image





.


i would add at this particular juncture that i've had a thing for dragonflies all my life.


The thing is kath the illustration is not a dragonfly....







.


well, it looks a few wings short of what i grew up catching and releasing.

what am i missing?

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 35200
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2018, 21:41

C wrote:Lambert's guitar is so subtle throughout but each note hits the spot perfectly






.


it is phenomenal

this section... incredible music i say

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50535
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby C » 09 Feb 2018, 21:41

kath wrote:
i do not know who john tams is.



A folkie [folk/rock actually remember Home Service Alright Jack?)

He was in The Albion Band







.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8323
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 09 Feb 2018, 21:42

A wonderful epic.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 6743
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Feb 2018, 21:42

kath wrote:[
i do not know who john tams is.

i am constantly trying to learn these things.

epicky epicness goin awnnnn here.... gweeetar




Actor/songwriter/musical director.




Albion Band, Home Service, just three solo albums but many songs for plays (usually with a social conscious). Folk rock.



You'll love Home Service 'Alright Jack', English folk rock masterpiece.
Image

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 50535
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby C » 09 Feb 2018, 21:44

kath wrote:
what am i missing?


The illustartion is a damselfly

Damselflies, which are similar in structure, though usually lighter in build; however, the wings of most dragonflies are held flat and away from the body, while damselflies hold the wings folded at rest, along or above the abdomen.





.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 35200
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby kath » 09 Feb 2018, 21:45

thanks, c and jj. i don't remember alright jack, but i will check it out. i love me that kinda folk, but i know so relatively lil

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 6743
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby John aka Josh » 09 Feb 2018, 21:45

Sounds like a well placed contrast to 'Ferryman's Curse. Is this the oldest vocal sound yet - breathier? Really do think a lot of skill has gone into the recording of this album.
Image

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8323
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 09 Feb 2018, 21:46

C wrote:
kath wrote:
what am i missing?


The illustartion is a damselfly

Damselflies, which are similar in structure, though usually lighter in build; however, the wings of most dragonflies are held flat and away from the body, while damselflies hold the wings folded at rest, along or above the abdomen.





.


So the damselflies' flight is more... distressed? :)
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 8323
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Strawbs - The Ferryman's Curse - Friday 9th February @ 9pm

Postby Nancy » 09 Feb 2018, 21:47

John aka Josh wrote:Sounds like a well placed contrast to 'Ferryman's Curse. Is this the oldest vocal sound yet - breathier? Really do think a lot of skill has gone into the recording of this album.


Yes, the recording and production are first-rate.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.