Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Do talk back
User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10139
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 30 Jan 2018, 20:47

Matt Wilson wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I think most of the 14 Remasters have not met with very much approval.


In what way?
Sounds fine to me, and Im very hard to please, sound wise :-)
Would be interesting if you would like to elaborate?!


Go to the Hoffman site for further elaboration.


I ask a nice friendly question, and you send me to hell!? :o
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67286
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jan 2018, 20:53

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I think most of the 14 Remasters have not met with very much approval.


In what way?
Sounds fine to me, and Im very hard to please, sound wise :-)
Would be interesting if you would like to elaborate?!



Not me personally but I remember quite a few of the most recent remasters were criticised for lacking exactly what you say PG lacks - bass.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29686
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jan 2018, 20:58

They're brickwalled.

The best Zeppelin remasters would be the 1990 ones when Jimmy first went back to the well.

Then again, there are those who prefer the '80s CDs from before 'remastering' was even a thing.

But if an audiophile forum where sound qua sound is discussed ad nauseum is considered 'hell' then you're gonna have to form your own opinions regarding the sound quality of CDs.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10139
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 30 Jan 2018, 21:00

Matt Wilson wrote:They're brickwalled.

The best Zeppelin remasters would be the 1990 ones when Jimmy first went back to the well.



They are far from brickwalled!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67286
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jan 2018, 21:04

Matt Wilson wrote:They're brickwalled.

The best Zeppelin remasters would be the 1990 ones when Jimmy first went back to the well.

Then again, there are those who prefer the '80s CDs from before 'remastering' was even a thing.

But if an audiophile forum where sound qua sound is discussed ad nauseum is considered 'hell' then you're gonna have to form your own opinions regarding the sound quality of CDs.



I'm not sure brickwalled is the case with this selection..... that was the previous incarnation.

The first Zep CD's were simply atrocious - the record company used (in some cases) fifth generation tapes and were guilty of some abysmal errors (missing the cough and small talk off of "In My Time Of Dying" completely, for instance... I have a CD version with that eror).
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29686
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jan 2018, 21:05

You could be correct, that's why I advised going over to the Hoffman boards and checking out what they have to say about it. Zeppelin is one of the dominant bands over there and I'm sure there are countless threads devoted to the subject. It's true that most modern CDs don't get good ratings over there, and brickwalling is the main reason why. I could have sworn brickwalling was the culprit but I don't own any of the recent remasters so I wouldn't know. If you're happy with them, then great.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10139
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 30 Jan 2018, 21:10

Black dog, Sidore vs 2014 remaster.

Image

:)

the only one Im not happy with is PG
will check out earlier editions to compare
not that familiar with their catalogue from back in time so hard to tell whats wrong
but PG sounds thinny
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29686
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jan 2018, 21:11

Here, this took me about sixty seconds of searching:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/l ... ll.606937/

Looks like most people are happy with the 2014 remasters, but the next most popular batch is the original CDs I think. Too lazy to read more.

So it looks like they're not brickwalled after all.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

User avatar
ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage
Posts: 10139
Joined: 06 Nov 2003, 07:14
Location: Below The North Pole
Contact:

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 30 Jan 2018, 21:12

Matt Wilson wrote:Here, this took me about sixty seconds of searching:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/l ... ll.606937/

Looks like most people are happy with the 2014 remasters, but the next most popular batch is the original CDs I think. Too lazy to read more.

So it looks like they're not brickwalled after all.


thanks! my ears are alright then! :lol:
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.


Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

Kinkhurt
Posts: 2423
Joined: 09 Feb 2004, 11:03
Location: Hairball Alley

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Kinkhurt » 31 Jan 2018, 13:10

Diamond Dog wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:They're brickwalled.

The best Zeppelin remasters would be the 1990 ones when Jimmy first went back to the well.

Then again, there are those who prefer the '80s CDs from before 'remastering' was even a thing.

But if an audiophile forum where sound qua sound is discussed ad nauseum is considered 'hell' then you're gonna have to form your own opinions regarding the sound quality of CDs.



I'm not sure brickwalled is the case with this selection..... that was the previous incarnation.

The first Zep CD's were simply atrocious - the record company used (in some cases) fifth generation tapes and were guilty of some abysmal errors (missing the cough and small talk off of "In My Time Of Dying" completely, for instance... I have a CD version with that eror).


I and II from that series still sound better than the all other versions though
angering the feeble

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67286
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Diamond Dog » 31 Jan 2018, 13:14

Kinkhurt wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:They're brickwalled.

The best Zeppelin remasters would be the 1990 ones when Jimmy first went back to the well.

Then again, there are those who prefer the '80s CDs from before 'remastering' was even a thing.

But if an audiophile forum where sound qua sound is discussed ad nauseum is considered 'hell' then you're gonna have to form your own opinions regarding the sound quality of CDs.



I'm not sure brickwalled is the case with this selection..... that was the previous incarnation.

The first Zep CD's were simply atrocious - the record company used (in some cases) fifth generation tapes and were guilty of some abysmal errors (missing the cough and small talk off of "In My Time Of Dying" completely, for instance... I have a CD version with that eror).


I and II from that series still sound better than the all other versions though


Yeah I was thinking about this earlier.... it was some of them, not all..... I shall have to go back and listen but I'm happy to go along with your statement.... you know your stuff!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

Kinkhurt
Posts: 2423
Joined: 09 Feb 2004, 11:03
Location: Hairball Alley

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Kinkhurt » 01 Feb 2018, 08:48

Diamond Dog wrote:
Kinkhurt wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

I'm not sure brickwalled is the case with this selection..... that was the previous incarnation.

The first Zep CD's were simply atrocious - the record company used (in some cases) fifth generation tapes and were guilty of some abysmal errors (missing the cough and small talk off of "In My Time Of Dying" completely, for instance... I have a CD version with that eror).


I and II from that series still sound better than the all other versions though


Yeah I was thinking about this earlier.... it was some of them, not all..... I shall have to go back and listen but I'm happy to go along with your statement.... you know your stuff!


Take HotH cd, also.If you want a comparison to how that has suffered ......
Listen to the original cd press at a healthy volume - go to TSRTS, where the guitar crashes in for the first time, Yep that's how you do it.
Now go to the Marino remaster - what the hell happened, hits you like a .... wet blanket ? Impact, dynamic range ? who stole it ?
I don't know what the new version is like - the original cd sounds like my LP so I've stuck with that.
angering the feeble

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3723
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby Fonz » 01 Feb 2018, 12:01

1 4
2 1
3 Presence
4 3
5 HotH
6 PG
7 2
8 ITTOD

Though my first LZ album was TSRTS, and that still has the definitive 'RnR', 'StH', and crucially 'NQ', and that is why it would be my desert island LZ album. I would cull 'tRS', 'MD' and 'DaC' if necessary.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
northernsky
Posts: 2294
Joined: 08 Aug 2005, 10:18
Location: East of Sweden

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby northernsky » 04 Feb 2018, 09:49

IV
HotH
III

PG
I / II

P
ITTOD

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35603
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby yomptepi » 04 Feb 2018, 19:10

Kinkhurt wrote:I and II from that series still sound better than the all other versions though


They do. Three and HOH sound OK, if not brilliant. It is Four that lacks bottom end. It just sounds weedy unless you pump it up to 11. I really want Black Dog and Rock and Roll to thunder in. But they don't . In fact you can hardly hear the bass at all, even when playing loud. very disappointing.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63781
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Feb 2018, 17:27

yomptepi wrote:It is Four that lacks bottom end. It just sounds weedy unless you pump it up to 11. I really want Black Dog and Rock and Roll to thunder in. But they don't . In fact you can hardly hear the bass at all, even when playing loud. very disappointing.


Like I wrote earlier in the thread, it's interesting to read each person's take away.

I think four is in the top two or three of fullest sounding LZ albums. At least on vinyl.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19530
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 05 Feb 2018, 18:39

He's talking specifically about these new CD remasters (I think)
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19530
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 08 May 2018, 10:23

Any more thoughts about these remasters? thinking of buying III (again :roll: )
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19530
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Ranking Led Zeppelin Studio Albums

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 12 May 2018, 01:19

Ah well.

I've ordered III and Houses of the Holy
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.