Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jan 2018, 02:31

Amusing article about tracking down all the many ex-members:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/ ... are_btn_fb
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 25 Jan 2018, 04:21

toomanyhatz wrote:Amusing article about tracking down all the many ex-members:

The resulting book is a cracking read!
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 25 Jan 2018, 05:31

OCT wrote: And that BAND! at their best, they were as thrilling as anyone.

Glad you said that.

Rest in peace-ah.
Question authority.

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 25 Jan 2018, 08:24

The Red Heifer wrote:

Yeah.
Nice tribute from Simpson here:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/24/mark-e-smith-the-fall

Dave Simpson wrote: the Fall’s contract to appear on Later … with Jools Holland included a clause stipulating that under no circumstances was Holland to play boogie-woogie piano anywhere near the Fall

:lol:

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 25 Jan 2018, 09:41

Muzorewi's Daughter, in the dark on the Peel show some time around 1980 I guess. Frightening.

Leading to Totale's Turns being my first Fall purchase. The audience really did not like them much :)

That man loved us. He came down from Hovis land. Is that a kazoo?

Still have it somewhere but I listen to the Peel sessions box set if I want to listen to the Fall, why did they always sound so much better when given less time and money to record?
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 25 Jan 2018, 09:56

Copehead wrote:Muzorewi's Daughter, in the dark on the Peel show some time around 1980 I guess. Frightening.

Isn't it? yelping, jungle drums, twisted 'surf guitar' - scary enough in the daytime!

I think Dragnet is probably their strangest and most uncompromising album. Deliberately badly recorded and all the better for it.

Mike Watt posted quite a bit about his Fall-love yesterday on Twitter - and most of it was about that album. I've always liked that fella but he went up even further in my estimation :)

Copehead wrote:but I listen to the Peel sessions box set if I want to listen to the Fall, why did they always sound so much better when given less time and money to record?

Every obsessive music fan should own a copy of that box. It shakes the birds out of the trees. Just magical.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Jan 2018, 10:03

That is stunning news. The last bunch of pics I saw of him didn't look promising though.
What slays me is that he was only 60????

Best wishes to you John.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 25 Jan 2018, 10:08

I got into The Fall in 89/90. I was 17/18. The 458489 compilations came out - A-sides great, B-sides even better. But then was listening to Peel show and heard the sessions for the new album - Extricate, still my favourite by The Fall. Saw them half a dozen times all told in the early/mid 90s. Great each time, aside from the last, when Brix returned. London show, was an utter mess. Sadly never saw them again although reconnected with my cousin after many years who told me she is a big Fall fan. Hence plans were made for "whenever they play next in London." Sadly not going to happen.

R.I.P. you old bugger. Not in the mood to play the albums yet but will do soon. Love this track though. My favourite.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 25 Jan 2018, 10:18

Very Stable Baron wrote:I think The Fall are probably as great as any British band from after the punk explosion. With that said, a little goes a long way with me and I only actually listen to them once or twice a year. Like most things, I finally got to hear them in the 90s. I wish I had heard them earlier, I can see how they would be absolutely formative. Respect to MES. Condolences to JC.

Thanks!

Formative, no kidding. It was thrilling that there was a British band in the 80s that had all of the wonderful and frightening elements that made all the best 60s stuff (Beefheart, VU, Elevators, Stooges, Can) so essential. We were lucky for a while. And if you don't believe me, give Slates another spin.

never/ever wrote:That is stunning news. The last bunch of pics I saw of him didn't look promising though.
What slays me is that he was only 60????

Best wishes to you John.

Thank you. He'd had a hard life, really. But I thought he'd outlive Shane, at least :(
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 25 Jan 2018, 10:27

A friend of mine knows one of what was the current band members and says that one of his jobs was to pick up MES for band practice. MES refused to wear a seat belt so they'd drive through Manchester for about 20 minutes with this bleeping sound in his car.

I think that gets to the heart of what MES was about - probably in all honesty that he was basically a cunt. But that singular bloody-mindedness and refusal to compromise made him and his project what it was.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Jan 2018, 10:44

I really love these tribute photos put against lamp posts in Prestwich...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... responsive
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Jan 2018, 12:09

northernsky wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:

Yeah.
Nice tribute from Simpson here:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/24/mark-e-smith-the-fall

Dave Simpson wrote: the Fall’s contract to appear on Later … with Jools Holland included a clause stipulating that under no circumstances was Holland to play boogie-woogie piano anywhere near the Fall

:lol:

Loved Simpson's book - The Fallen is still the most entertaining Fall-related book I think. MES's own Renegade was a bit of a disappointment but Brix's, Stephen Hanley's and Si Wolstencroft's memoirs are all great and perhaps surprisingly all on the whole complementary to the great man.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 25 Jan 2018, 12:17

Toby wrote:A friend of mine knows one of what was the current band members and says that one of his jobs was to pick up MES for band practice. MES refused to wear a seat belt so they'd drive through Manchester for about 20 minutes with this bleeping sound in his car.

I think that gets to the heart of what MES was about - probably in all honesty that he was basically a cunt. But that singular bloody-mindedness and refusal to compromise made him and his project what it was.

I don't know about that. Certainly he could be a total cunt - and I have witnessed that side of his character in action (Worthing Assembly Hall some time in the late'90s). But pretty much all of his friends, collaborators and band members from Brix (who should have the longest list of grievances), Julian Cope and Ian MacCullough in the early days to Andi Toma and Jan St Werner and others in more recent years all seem have a genuine fondness for the old scrote.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 25 Jan 2018, 14:50

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 25 Jan 2018, 15:37

Pool Hall Richard wrote: Love this track though. My favourite.

Oh, me too! But I always think that’s ’cause I’m not, frankly, a hard-bitten fan. But my introduction to the Fall was a schoolfriend giving me a C90 with Extricate and The Infotainment Scan on respective sides in the balmy summer of ’97, and ”Bill is Dead” was one of my go-to songs for waking up on someone’s floor, in someone’s tent, or in someone’s hedge.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jan 2018, 15:57

One of my favourite Smith quotes. Still makes me chuckle when I read it.

"But if Jesus had seen U2 he'd have been very mad indeed, Jesus would throw bottles at U2. We supported U2 once, at Elland Road, and people were going 'Satanists! Satanists!' and throwing Bibles and crosses at us".

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Jan 2018, 16:08

That's surely made up.

Not that it matters mind.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 25 Jan 2018, 16:20

Yeah, a friend of mine posted this on Facebook, surely it can't be true:

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 25 Jan 2018, 16:24

That last one’s definitely true. But he was prone to self-mythologising

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 25 Jan 2018, 17:05

northernsky wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote: Love this track though. My favourite.

Oh, me too! But I always think that’s ’cause I’m not, frankly, a hard-bitten fan. But my introduction to the Fall was a schoolfriend giving me a C90 with Extricate and The Infotainment Scan on respective sides in the balmy summer of ’97, and ”Bill is Dead” was one of my go-to songs for waking up on someone’s floor, in someone’s tent, or in someone’s hedge.

I have a long Fall playlist, a real mix of it all from Witch Trials to Middle Class Revolt. All good. I love the raw and the melodic. For every Kicker Conspiracy or Futures and Pasts you get Time Enough At Last and Edinburgh Man. The latter is just as beautiful as Bill is Dead.

Return to “Yakety Yak”