RIP Mark E Smith

Do talk back
User avatar
fange
Posts: 12745
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby fange » 25 Jan 2018, 00:25

RIP man, and thank you for the music.

:(
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
martha
rambling rose
Posts: 5367
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 17:41
Location: Self-imposed exile.

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby martha » 25 Jan 2018, 01:00

So sorry John. Wish I could hug you and share a bottle of something while listening to them with you tonight.
--m.

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18625
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 25 Jan 2018, 01:20

thanks Martha x
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42960
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby LeBaron » 25 Jan 2018, 01:38

I think The Fall are probably as great as any British band from after the punk explosion. With that said, a little goes a long way with me and I only actually listen to them once or twice a year. Like most things, I finally got to hear them in the 90s. I wish I had heard them earlier, I can see how they would be absolutely formative. Respect to MES. Condolences to JC.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 27335
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Jan 2018, 02:31

Amusing article about tracking down all the many ex-members:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/ ... are_btn_fb
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

User avatar
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14843
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby The Red Heifer » 25 Jan 2018, 04:21

toomanyhatz wrote:Amusing article about tracking down all the many ex-members:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/ ... are_btn_fb


The resulting book is a cracking read!
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15469
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby Jimbo » 25 Jan 2018, 05:31

OCT wrote: And that BAND! at their best, they were as thrilling as anyone.


Glad you said that.

Rest in peace-ah.
Some say the glass is half-empty others half-full. I say. "Lemme see that glass!"

User avatar
northernsky
Posts: 2284
Joined: 08 Aug 2005, 10:18
Location: East of Sweden

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby northernsky » 25 Jan 2018, 08:24

The Red Heifer wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Amusing article about tracking down all the many ex-members:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/ ... are_btn_fb


The resulting book is a cracking read!


Yeah.
Nice tribute from Simpson here:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/24/mark-e-smith-the-fall

Dave Simpson wrote: the Fall’s contract to appear on Later … with Jools Holland included a clause stipulating that under no circumstances was Holland to play boogie-woogie piano anywhere near the Fall


:lol:

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24091
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby Copehead » 25 Jan 2018, 09:41

Muzorewi's Daughter, in the dark on the Peel show some time around 1980 I guess. Frightening.

Leading to Totale's Turns being my first Fall purchase. The audience really did not like them much :)

That man loved us. He came down from Hovis land. Is that a kazoo?

Still have it somewhere but I listen to the Peel sessions box set if I want to listen to the Fall, why did they always sound so much better when given less time and money to record?
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18625
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 25 Jan 2018, 09:56

Copehead wrote:Muzorewi's Daughter, in the dark on the Peel show some time around 1980 I guess. Frightening.


Isn't it? yelping, jungle drums, twisted 'surf guitar' - scary enough in the daytime!

I think Dragnet is probably their strangest and most uncompromising album. Deliberately badly recorded and all the better for it.

Mike Watt posted quite a bit about his Fall-love yesterday on Twitter - and most of it was about that album. I've always liked that fella but he went up even further in my estimation :)


Copehead wrote:but I listen to the Peel sessions box set if I want to listen to the Fall, why did they always sound so much better when given less time and money to record?


Every obsessive music fan should own a copy of that box. It shakes the birds out of the trees. Just magical.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23027
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby never/ever » 25 Jan 2018, 10:03

That is stunning news. The last bunch of pics I saw of him didn't look promising though.
What slays me is that he was only 60????

Best wishes to you John.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3671
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 25 Jan 2018, 10:08

I got into The Fall in 89/90. I was 17/18. The 458489 compilations came out - A-sides great, B-sides even better. But then was listening to Peel show and heard the sessions for the new album - Extricate, still my favourite by The Fall. Saw them half a dozen times all told in the early/mid 90s. Great each time, aside from the last, when Brix returned. London show, was an utter mess. Sadly never saw them again although reconnected with my cousin after many years who told me she is a big Fall fan. Hence plans were made for "whenever they play next in London." Sadly not going to happen.

R.I.P. you old bugger. Not in the mood to play the albums yet but will do soon. Love this track though. My favourite.


User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18625
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 25 Jan 2018, 10:18

Very Stable Baron wrote:I think The Fall are probably as great as any British band from after the punk explosion. With that said, a little goes a long way with me and I only actually listen to them once or twice a year. Like most things, I finally got to hear them in the 90s. I wish I had heard them earlier, I can see how they would be absolutely formative. Respect to MES. Condolences to JC.


Thanks!

Formative, no kidding. It was thrilling that there was a British band in the 80s that had all of the wonderful and frightening elements that made all the best 60s stuff (Beefheart, VU, Elevators, Stooges, Can) so essential. We were lucky for a while. And if you don't believe me, give Slates another spin.

never/ever wrote:That is stunning news. The last bunch of pics I saw of him didn't look promising though.
What slays me is that he was only 60????

Best wishes to you John.


Thank you. He'd had a hard life, really. But I thought he'd outlive Shane, at least :(
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
Toby
Arsehole all Erect
Posts: 23305
Joined: 28 Jul 2003, 23:13
Contact:

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby Toby » 25 Jan 2018, 10:27

A friend of mine knows one of what was the current band members and says that one of his jobs was to pick up MES for band practice. MES refused to wear a seat belt so they'd drive through Manchester for about 20 minutes with this bleeping sound in his car.

I think that gets to the heart of what MES was about - probably in all honesty that he was basically a cunt. But that singular bloody-mindedness and refusal to compromise made him and his project what it was.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23027
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby never/ever » 25 Jan 2018, 10:44

I really love these tribute photos put against lamp posts in Prestwich...

Image

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... responsive
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23110
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby Deebank » 25 Jan 2018, 12:09

northernsky wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:Amusing article about tracking down all the many ex-members:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/ ... are_btn_fb


The resulting book is a cracking read!


Yeah.
Nice tribute from Simpson here:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/24/mark-e-smith-the-fall

Dave Simpson wrote: the Fall’s contract to appear on Later … with Jools Holland included a clause stipulating that under no circumstances was Holland to play boogie-woogie piano anywhere near the Fall


:lol:


Loved Simpson's book - The Fallen is still the most entertaining Fall-related book I think. MES's own Renegade was a bit of a disappointment but Brix's, Stephen Hanley's and Si Wolstencroft's memoirs are all great and perhaps surprisingly all on the whole complementary to the great man.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 23110
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby Deebank » 25 Jan 2018, 12:17

Toby wrote:A friend of mine knows one of what was the current band members and says that one of his jobs was to pick up MES for band practice. MES refused to wear a seat belt so they'd drive through Manchester for about 20 minutes with this bleeping sound in his car.

I think that gets to the heart of what MES was about - probably in all honesty that he was basically a cunt. But that singular bloody-mindedness and refusal to compromise made him and his project what it was.


I don't know about that. Certainly he could be a total cunt - and I have witnessed that side of his character in action (Worthing Assembly Hall some time in the late'90s). But pretty much all of his friends, collaborators and band members from Brix (who should have the longest list of grievances), Julian Cope and Ian MacCullough in the early days to Andi Toma and Jan St Werner and others in more recent years all seem have a genuine fondness for the old scrote.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Nuts
Posts: 529
Joined: 15 Jan 2013, 15:31

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby Nuts » 25 Jan 2018, 14:50

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

User avatar
northernsky
Posts: 2284
Joined: 08 Aug 2005, 10:18
Location: East of Sweden

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby northernsky » 25 Jan 2018, 15:37

Pool Hall Richard wrote: Love this track though. My favourite.



Oh, me too! But I always think that’s ’cause I’m not, frankly, a hard-bitten fan. But my introduction to the Fall was a schoolfriend giving me a C90 with Extricate and The Infotainment Scan on respective sides in the balmy summer of ’97, and ”Bill is Dead” was one of my go-to songs for waking up on someone’s floor, in someone’s tent, or in someone’s hedge.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12327
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jan 2018, 15:57

One of my favourite Smith quotes. Still makes me chuckle when I read it.

"But if Jesus had seen U2 he'd have been very mad indeed, Jesus would throw bottles at U2. We supported U2 once, at Elland Road, and people were going 'Satanists! Satanists!' and throwing Bibles and crosses at us".