RIP Mark E Smith

Do talk back
50 Shades Of Blue

Re: RIP Mark E Smith

Postby 50 Shades Of Blue » 24 Jan 2018, 21:54

Darkness_Fish wrote:I've probably been as negative as anyone around here about The Fall, and Mark E Smith in particular, but it does feel like a passing of an era as much as the passing of a man. Just feels like the time of genuine indie mavericks has gone with him, there's no room anywhere near the indie mainstream for someone like him anymore.

Good post. Think that's how i feel about his passing.
I had drinks with him in Edinburgh a few times when he lived in here. Funny and clever if delusional guy. Nothing was ever Mark's fault :)
Played table tennis with Tommy Crooks recently. Tommy was the guitar player in the line up when there was the famous onstage fall out in New York and Mark ended up getting arrested. It ended badly but Tommy is still proud to have been in The Fall with Mark.
Following that meeting I have been rereading the MES book "Renegade". A very funny and massively entertaining read, humour and grumpiness mixed together in an addictive cocktail as he was in life. RIP MES
Some mother's talking 'bout Guns' n 'Roses
As if i give a fuck
At best i think they suck

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jan 2018, 22:01

OCT wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:They were still kicking arse live. I was well impressed when I last saw em.

I was there for his last-ever gig :cry:

:(
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.

The Slider on Prog Corner wrote:God, you lot are playing some right old shite in here

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jan 2018, 22:11

Never been a big fan, but I have grown to appreciate some stuff a great deal thanks to the many people (including several here) steering me toward specific parts of his (as he is the only constant) rather unwieldy discography.

But I do sort of feel a kinship with what D_Fish says above. I would say his 'like' will not come again but that feels like an understatement - he was one of the few people in our recent history that you really could say was 'one of a kind.'

And this is the way I'd like to remember him. Lots of death-defying going on in that group. I wouldn't have put my money on him to be the first to go. Too hard-headed to let anything beat him, not even death.

RIP won't cut it - he never did anything peacefully. But maybe we can take some comfort in the fact that, if he had it to do all over again, I doubt he would've changed a thing.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Jan 2018, 22:12

OCT wrote:
Deebank wrote:He was still capable of greatness right up to the end.

Nice to read that, 'cos I really do think that last album had some great moments. It was pleasing to long-term Fall fans at the very least, many of whom probably didn't think the band (and MES) still had it in them.

Still the best band I ever saw... and the worst, but I suspect that’s just the way he’d want it.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jan 2018, 22:13

He's one of those people where regardless of how much you like The Fall the world is that little bit dimmer tonight.
Jimbo wrote:I'm on a we never went to the moon video tear these days - and it looks like we didn't.

The Slider on Prog Corner wrote:God, you lot are playing some right old shite in here

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 24 Jan 2018, 22:17

Ooh, particularly love this quote:

MES wrote:One thing that really annoys me is that stream of consciousness thing. I wouldn't let on to it normally, but it annoys the shit out of me. I put a lot of hard sweat into them, I think about them. They have an inner logic to me so I don't really care who understands them or not. I see writing and singing as two very different things. My attitude is if you can't deliver it like a garage band, fuck it. That's one thing that's never been explored, delivering complex things in a very straightforward rock 'n' roll way. My old excuse is if I'd wanted to be a poet, I'd have been a poet.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 24 Jan 2018, 22:31

I guess it shouldn’t be a shock - but it is. You just kind of expected him to be there forever.

An absolute one-off, unrepeatable sui generis and so compelling as a character as well as a band leader. RIP.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 24 Jan 2018, 22:40

Nothing to add to what's been said so eloquently already :(
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 24 Jan 2018, 22:41

I’ll never forget his set at The Bulldog Bash in front of a tent full of bemused Hells Angels, whoever booked the band must have been taking the piss, as indeed was MES. The set ended with MES disdainfully waving at the distinctly unimpressed crowd at the bar. I offered to buy him a drink. He told me to fuck off. You couldn’t call me a fan per se but the world will be a poorer and less interesting place without him in it.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 24 Jan 2018, 22:42

soundchaser wrote:Syd Barrett was the big one for me.

Me too. Him and Nikki Sudden and Gerry Ragavoy.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Super-Jank
hounds people off the board

Postby Super-Jank » 24 Jan 2018, 22:45

Gary Lucas - GARY LUCAS! - posted on Facebook that The Fall were his ‘favourite group for a long long time’ :)

Lots of really nice tributes/stories on Twitter
Diamond Dog wrote:and then we can have an adult debate about why you think there are 'over reaching' chord changes

Copehead wrote:I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English

K wrote:I think we all know that I would batter the fuck out of Coan.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 24 Jan 2018, 22:46

Losing Mark E Smith is like watching the last vinyl record shop close down on your High Street.
RIP.

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 24 Jan 2018, 22:49

He sent me a hand written copy of the lyrics to Bingo Master Breakout when I wrote to him to say our band wanted to play it live but we couldn't make out all the words.

He said that the "price for this unholy thievery" was to buy him a drink when they played Middlesborough Rock Garden.

I was 15, couldn't get to the gig to buy him that drink.
A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

Super-Jank
hounds people off the board

Postby Super-Jank » 24 Jan 2018, 22:52

See? A nice guy
Diamond Dog wrote:and then we can have an adult debate about why you think there are 'over reaching' chord changes

Copehead wrote:I am a native speaker who got an A in O level English

K wrote:I think we all know that I would batter the fuck out of Coan.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 24 Jan 2018, 22:52

Tom Waits For No One wrote:He sent me a hand written copy of the lyrics to Bingo Master Breakout when I wrote to him to say our band wanted to play it live but we couldn't make out all the words.

He said that the "price for this unholy thievery" was to buy him a drink when they played Middlesborough Rock Garden.

I was 15, couldn't get to the gig to buy him that drink.

Beautiful.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 24 Jan 2018, 23:07

I wrote to him when Grotesque came out, with some fairly dull questions about the lyrics and things. He replied on a postcard and answered them all. I still have that card somewhere...
You don't like me...do you?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jan 2018, 23:08

I love reading things like that.

That's the thing with people. They can be awful but lovely too. Nice to read about a different side to him.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Jan 2018, 23:09

OCT wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Look after yourself John and play 'Psycho Mafia' for me. x

The first Fall song I really loved!

"In My Area" here.

:|
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 24 Jan 2018, 23:17

Deebank wrote:[Still the best band I ever saw... and the worst

Funnily enough, that is precisely the line I used about them.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Jan 2018, 23:39

OCT wrote:Lots of really nice tributes/stories on Twitter

There are. It's kinda nice.
OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.