Do talk back
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

More on the Bernard Purdie/Beatles claim

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Jan 2018, 07:31

Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: More on the Bernard Purdie/Beatles claim

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jan 2018, 08:28

Though I'm a Purdie fan I can't believe he replaced Ringo. I recently heard some YouTube interview with Paul and he said they happened to hear Ringo play with Rory Storm and Ringo was so hot they felt that he was the guy they had to have - and not Pete Best - and so stole Ringo away from Storm and kicked Best out. That is something I can imagine happening, hearing a drummer so good you just have to have him and damn any hurt feelings. So with a bold and cutthroat move like that to get Ringo why replace his drumming with Purdie's?
Question authority.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 22 Jan 2018, 15:28

Jimbo wrote:Though I'm a Purdie fan I can't believe he replaced Ringo. I recently heard some YouTube interview with Paul and he said they happened to hear Ringo play with Rory Storm and Ringo was so hot they felt that he was the guy they had to have - and not Pete Best - and so stole Ringo away from Storm and kicked Best out. That is something I can imagine happening, hearing a drummer so good you just have to have him and damn any hurt feelings. So with a bold and cutthroat move like that to get Ringo why replace his drumming with Purdie's?

Finally a conspiracy theory you disagree with!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Jan 2018, 15:31

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Though I'm a Purdie fan I can't believe he replaced Ringo. I recently heard some YouTube interview with Paul and he said they happened to hear Ringo play with Rory Storm and Ringo was so hot they felt that he was the guy they had to have - and not Pete Best - and so stole Ringo away from Storm and kicked Best out. That is something I can imagine happening, hearing a drummer so good you just have to have him and damn any hurt feelings. So with a bold and cutthroat move like that to get Ringo why replace his drumming with Purdie's?

Finally a conspiracy theory you disagree with!

:lol:
Question authority.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Jan 2018, 16:56

i can't watch that video at work. if the claim is that he overdubbed some of Ringo's drumming on later albums, I can see the possibility. I've read that it would basically be impossible to do overdub on the early recordings, however. But that's not the only dubious part, to me. He apparently claims that he was alone in the studio with Brian Epstein? Wouldn't it have been Martin? Also, on the albums up to Rubber Soul at least, there's no obvious overdubbing of drum parts that I can hear. Also, despite all the criticism he gets, Ringo was a perfectly fine drummer who at the very least was capable of playing the relatively simple parts required for Beatles songs -- this can be verified by listening to session tapes and live recordings. And again, if you're John Lennon and you want to be the biggest band in the world, why saddle yourself with an inferior drummer who can't even play 4/4 drum parts?
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 22 Jan 2018, 17:04

If any drums needed redoing, surely Macca would have stepped in.
You don't like me...do you?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Jan 2018, 17:37

yomptepi wrote:If any drums needed redoing, surely Macca would have stepped in.

He would've if he hadn't been killed in 1966.

;)

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jan 2018, 17:46

Trouble is Purdie is a bit like the drumming equivalent of Jimmy Page - he seems to have played on just about everything.... trouble is with Purdie (even more) is that he only seems to have played on - or can recall- big hits. He appears to have a 100% strike rate - which, oddly enough, isn't how session musicians generally work.

Add to that that his story seems to shift, depending on the date and need, and I think the vast majority of his 'recollections' can safely be labelled bullshit.

The explanation in the video is entirely possible - but, equally, it could be fucking anyone playing those drums. There is nothing that links Purdie to the music he claims to have drummed on for The Beatles - he may have, he may not have. It's just as likely (in fact, probably *more* likely) to have been Macca. Thing is, if it was McCartney, we'll have to wait for Ringo to pass away, because that's Macca's established modus operandi, isn't it?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jan 2018, 18:17

He's a self mythologiser (is that a word?)

Sounds like b-b-b-b-bullshit to me
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 22 Jan 2018, 18:20

More likely to have played in the Rutles than the Beatles. Did he know the difference?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 22 Jan 2018, 18:26

Goat Boy wrote:He's a self mythologiser (is that a word?)

Sounds like b-b-b-b-bullshit to me

You would need a helicopter to stay above his bullshit.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Jan 2018, 18:34

Diamond Dog wrote:Trouble is Purdie is a bit like the drumming equivalent of Jimmy Page - he seems to have played on just about everything.... trouble is with Purdie (even more) is that he only seems to have played on - or can recall- big hits. He appears to have a 100% strike rate - which, oddly enough, isn't how session musicians generally work.

Add to that that his story seems to shift, depending on the date and need, and I think the vast majority of his 'recollections' can safely be labelled bullshit.

The explanation in the video is entirely possible - but, equally, it could be fucking anyone playing those drums. There is nothing that links Purdie to the music he claims to have drummed on for The Beatles - he may have, he may not have. It's just as likely (in fact, probably *more* likely) to have been Macca. Thing is, if it was McCartney, we'll have to wait for Ringo to pass away, because that's Macca's established modus operandi, isn't it?

One thing that connects Purdie to those tracks, is that he was a hired gun for Atlantic Records which released those in the USA. I would find it quite unlikely that McCartney could have possibly been bothered to play overdubbed drums on old session tapes right at the moment they were writing new songs in 1964.

The most plausible explanation IMO, is that yes, he did play overdubbed drums on some Beatles tracks, just not the ones he claims to have done. He just forgot the details.

Speaking as a student of drums, I think quite highly of Bernard. He's not the kind of guy that would need to make up stories about being on some geat records.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Jan 2018, 18:45

I'm not denying he's a great drummer. I'm doubting his recollection of events, full stop.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Jan 2018, 19:06

bobzilla77 wrote:One thing that connects Purdie to those tracks, is that he was a hired gun for Atlantic Records which released those in the USA. I would find it quite unlikely that McCartney could have possibly been bothered to play overdubbed drums on old session tapes right at the moment they were writing new songs in 1964.

The most plausible explanation IMO, is that yes, he did play overdubbed drums on some Beatles tracks, just not the ones he claims to have done. He just forgot the details.

This is basically what the video says, and I agree. It is likely that he overdubbed the Tony Sheridan stuff in 1964, as the timeline is quite plausible. I don't think he made his claim in bad faith, just didn't remember the details (also plausible for a busy session drummer in 1964) and then embellished and exaggerated.

Purdie ALSO plays on the soundtrack for that horrible Sgt. Pepper movie, if that counts for anything. Maybe he qualifies that as playing on Beatles songs, which I guess it is, technically.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 22 Jan 2018, 19:22

But he clearly says that Ringo did not drum on any Beatles records. he is a fantasist.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Jan 2018, 19:36

yomptepi wrote:But he clearly says that Ringo did not drum on any Beatles records. he is a fantasist.

Well yeah... that doesn't seem very plausible!
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Jan 2018, 21:53

I'm more puzzled by his claim (in the video) that "there were four drummers who played on the Beatles' records - and none of them were Ringo." In that same interview he mentions Pete Best, so that's one; Purdie himself makes two. I doubt he knew about Paul playing on "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence"... so who are the other two?

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 22 Jan 2018, 21:55

Charlie O. wrote:I'm more puzzled by his claim (in the video) that "there were four drummers who played on the Beatles' records - and none of them were Ringo." In that same interview he mentions Pete Best, so that's one; Purdie himself makes two. I doubt he knew about Paul playing on "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence"... so who are the other two?

He's probably counting himself three times.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 Jan 2018, 21:56

:)

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 22 Jan 2018, 21:58

Charlie O. wrote:I'm more puzzled by his claim (in the video) that "there were four drummers who played on the Beatles' records - and none of them were Ringo." In that same interview he mentions Pete Best, so that's one; Purdie himself makes two. I doubt he knew about Paul playing on "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence"... so who are the other two?

Jim Keltner and Hal Blaine!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “Yakety Yak”