RIP Jim Rodford

Do talk back
Davey the Fat Boy

RIP Jim Rodford

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 20 Jan 2018, 15:56

Founding member of Argent. Current member of the Zombies. Also spent time with The Kinks, Swinging Blue Jeans and many other notable bands.

I’d seen him a few times with The Zombies - even as recently as a few months ago. Good player.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Spock!

Re: RIP Jim Rodford

Postby Spock! » 20 Jan 2018, 17:31

Rod Argent posted the following on facebook.

It is with deep sadness that I learned this morning that my dear cousin and lifelong friend, Jim Rodford, died this morning after a fall on the stairs. More details are not yet known about the exact cause of death.

Jim was not only a magnificent bass player, but also from the first inextricably bound to the story of The Zombies. An enormous enabler for us. He was actually the first person ever to be asked to join the band, way back in 1961. Because he was in the top St.Albans band of the time (The Bluetones), he turned us down at first, but from day one helped us chart our course. He loaned us The Bluestones' state of the art gear for our very first rehearsal, arranged the rehearsal space, and even showed Hugh the first kick and snare drum pattern our original drummer ever learned. He was responsible for the first song I ever wrote (for The Bluetones - which they recorded); the person who organised most of our early gigs, and the very first person outside the group ever to hear - and pass judgement on - our first record, "She's Not There"(he loved it). Years later, he became founder member, with me, of Argent; and then, for eighteen years, throughout a hugely successful American period for them, was bass player for The Kinks.

Jim, always a hugely sought after musician, had also had long stints as bass player with both The Mike Cotton Sound and the Lonnie Donegan band.

When Colin and I put together our second incarnation in late 1999, our first phone call was to Jim. He gave us absolutely unflagging commitment, loyalty and unbelievable energy for eighteen years, and our gratitude is beyond measure.

To the end, Jim's life was dedicated to music. He was unfailingly committed to local music - an ever present member of the local scene in St.Albans, where he had spent his whole life. Often, Colin and I would compare notes a couple of days immediately after a U.S. tour and discuss how long it would take us to recover from an intense, fantastic but exhausting couple of months - only to find out and marvel that Jim had already been out playing with local bands (often, but not always, with "The Rodford Files", made up of talented family members) or giving charity shows or lectures on the St.Albans music scene.

His dedication was rewarded with Doctorate Of Music, granted to him last year by the University Of Hertfordshire.
Jim was a wonderful person, loved by everybody. When Colin and I, shocked and hardly able to talk, shared the news this morning, Colin said " I've never heard anyone say a bad word about him..."
He will be unbelievably missed. Goodnight and God Bless dear friend. - Rod x

First saw him in Argent days and like Davey I also saw him with the reformed Zombies several times. Most definitely a solid player and one who helped give me some elating moments, particularly the first Zombies gig which was magical.

Thanks for the music, RIP Jim.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 20 Jan 2018, 18:16

Not a big fan of Argent or his era of The Kinks... but that was most emphatically not his fault. He was always a terrific bass player and harmony singer, and on stage (I saw him twice with the Kinks and I don't know how many times with the Zombies) he invariably gave the impression that there was nowhere he'd rather be at that moment.

You done good, Jim - R.I.P.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 20 Jan 2018, 21:04

I saw the Kinks lots of times from 1982 to 1987, and he was the bass player. He was cool.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 21 Jan 2018, 00:25

Crazy! He was on board of the Moodies -cruise only two weeks ago, playing with The Zombies.
RIP.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 21 Jan 2018, 09:41

Saw him several times with both the Zombies and the Kinks.

With the latter he looked bemused during the segment of the show that had live acting on stage. But much happier when Kirsty Maccoll joined the Kinks to sing 'Days'. Which is incidentally one of my favourite memories of live shows I have seen.

RIP
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Jan 2018, 16:40

I saw him with the Kinks in the 80's and the Zombies in recent years. R.I.P.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Return to “Yakety Yak”