31%
Iggy Pop
69%

Total votes: 29

sloopjohnc

Re: David Byrne Vs Iggy Pop

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jan 2018, 21:06

OCT wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:I loved everything about Byrne when I was young and so utterly pretentious it dismays me to even think about it, but it just makes me cringe now. It's trying so hard to be kooky and different, but it's really just slick marketing in disguise. And forced. It's the musical equivalent of Peter Greenaway's movies or Damien Hirst's "art".
Iggy is rock and roll.

That's a gross over-simplification.

I'm as big an Iggy fan as anyone here, but he's just a fella leaping about who took drugs for too long. Byrne is a genuine geek, autistic, managed to find a place in rock and roll. They were both lucky, and talented.

Didn't the Talking Heads meet at the Rhode Island School of Design? The Talking Heads carefully crafted their music and presentation - I think a lot of their music is very visceral at times, but it comes across as kinda studied.

Iggy is intuitively great. It's all quick twitch reflex. And he's one of the greatest poets in rock, in my opinion.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 22 Jan 2018, 17:09

Nikki Gradual wrote:I loved everything about Byrne when I was young and so utterly pretentious it dismays me to even think about it, but it just makes me cringe now. It's trying so hard to be kooky and different, but it's really just slick marketing in disguise. And forced. It's the musical equivalent of Peter Greenaway's movies or Damien Hirst's "art".

God how many times to we have to hear this shit on this site although now reworded.
"just slick marketing in disguise" give me a F*cking break

This is the equivalent of me stating Iggy only looks like a rocker actually all his music is planned and jumps around but he actually practices this at home and his steps are all choreographed and thought out so its pretentious too since its just all for effect to pretend to be a true rock and roller.
BS

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 22 Jan 2018, 18:00

Hightea wrote:

God how many times to we have to hear this shit on this site although now reworded.

This is the equivalent of me stating Iggy only looks like a rocker actually all his music is planned and jumps around but he actually practices this at home and his steps are all choreographed and thought out so its pretentious too since its just all for effect to pretend to be a true rock and roller.
BS

Say whatever you like. You are just as entitled to express your incorrect opinion as I am to state my correct one. I won’t even throw a little tantrum because of it. Fill yer boots.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 Jan 2018, 18:12

Hightea wrote:

BS

U ok Hun?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 22 Jan 2018, 20:08

Hightea wrote:This is the equivalent of me stating Iggy only looks like a rocker actually all his music is planned and jumps around but he actually practices this at home and his steps are all choreographed and thought out so its pretentious too since its just all for effect to pretend to be a true rock and roller.
BS

...and if you felt that way, I would certainly hope you would feel free to say so.

Failing to see the problem here.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Jan 2018, 00:50

The brickbats are a little hard to get used to but it’s really more fun that way. Sometimes people just say something is “shite” without saying why. I LIKE Peter Greenaway movies!
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Yakety Yak”