Vinyl Only N.P.

Do talk back
User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12183
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Oscar » 04 Jun 2020, 10:58

Image

It's a lovely copy throughout but just noticed a "skip" at the beginning of the first track. Then I was reminded why I was so thrilled when cds were invented. I've just had 10 minutes with a magnifying glass and cocktail stick but the bugger still skips. Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5714
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2020, 11:11

Oscar wrote:Image

It's a lovely copy throughout but just noticed a "skip" at the beginning of the first track. Then I was reminded why I was so thrilled when cds were invented. I've just had 10 minutes with a magnifying glass and cocktail stick but the bugger still skips. Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?



Have you tried giving it a clean/wash? Also, I find that sometimes just preventing the needle from skipping, by holding your finger up against it, sometimes does the trick of removing whatever might be in the groove. However if it's a pressing fault or a scratch nothing will help.

Re CDs, I have bought new CDs that have skipped as well - nothing's perfect.


.

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12183
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Oscar » 04 Jun 2020, 11:51

robertff wrote:
Oscar wrote:Image

It's a lovely copy throughout but just noticed a "skip" at the beginning of the first track. Then I was reminded why I was so thrilled when cds were invented. I've just had 10 minutes with a magnifying glass and cocktail stick but the bugger still skips. Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?



Have you tried giving it a clean/wash? Also, I find that sometimes just preventing the needle from skipping, by holding your finger up against it, sometimes does the trick of removing whatever might be in the groove. However if it's a pressing fault or a scratch nothing will help.

Re CDs, I have bought new CDs that have skipped as well - nothing's perfect.


.


Tried holding my finger against the arm and that seems to have worked. Thanks for that! So tried the same trick with another album - same issue - and it didn't work :( It prevents the skip when you hold it but it doesn't cure it. I've tried washing lots of times.

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12183
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Oscar » 04 Jun 2020, 11:57

Image

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2344
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Jumper K » 04 Jun 2020, 12:44

Funnily enough

Image

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5714
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2020, 12:46

Oscar wrote:
robertff wrote:
Oscar wrote:Image

It's a lovely copy throughout but just noticed a "skip" at the beginning of the first track. Then I was reminded why I was so thrilled when cds were invented. I've just had 10 minutes with a magnifying glass and cocktail stick but the bugger still skips. Does this bother anyone else as much as it bothers me?



Have you tried giving it a clean/wash? Also, I find that sometimes just preventing the needle from skipping, by holding your finger up against it, sometimes does the trick of removing whatever might be in the groove. However if it's a pressing fault or a scratch nothing will help.

Re CDs, I have bought new CDs that have skipped as well - nothing's perfect.


.


Tried holding my finger against the arm and that seems to have worked. Thanks for that! So tried the same trick with another album - same issue - and it didn't work :( It prevents the skip when you hold it but it doesn't cure it. I've tried washing lots of times.




Glad to hear that it worked for the above album, perhaps trying it a few times with the other might help to dislodge something if there is something there. The guy who founded Linn turntables (Ivor Tiefenbrun) said that the best way to clean a record was by letting the needle run through it. However, as I said earlier, if it's a pressing fault or a deepish scratch nothing will help.


.

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12183
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Oscar » 04 Jun 2020, 13:22

Jumper K wrote:Funnily enough

Image


His best.

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12183
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Oscar » 04 Jun 2020, 13:24

Not a great fan of the Dan. I'm only really attached to Countdown To Ecstasy but I can like and dislike them in the space of a day. I really like them this afternoon.

Image

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4113
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 04 Jun 2020, 13:41

Image
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4113
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 04 Jun 2020, 13:57

Image
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4113
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 04 Jun 2020, 15:40

Image
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5714
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby robertff » 04 Jun 2020, 19:27

Tom Waits For No One wrote:Image



Such a great cover - the album's not too shabby either.


.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2344
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Jumper K » 05 Jun 2020, 08:57

Image

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2344
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Jumper K » 05 Jun 2020, 10:35

Image
Loving this.

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4113
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 05 Jun 2020, 12:49

Image

Big Big Train - Folklore
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2344
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Jumper K » 05 Jun 2020, 12:52

Image

User avatar
Tom Waits For No One
Posts: 4113
Joined: 14 Nov 2014, 08:05

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 05 Jun 2020, 13:56

Image
Give a shit or be a shit.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2344
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Jumper K » 05 Jun 2020, 14:41

Image

User avatar
robertff
Posts: 5714
Joined: 20 Jul 2003, 06:59

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby robertff » 05 Jun 2020, 14:42

WP

Image


NP


Image


.

User avatar
Jumper K
Posts: 2344
Joined: 22 Oct 2014, 16:25

Re: Vinyl Only N.P.

Postby Jumper K » 06 Jun 2020, 08:11

Image
Billy Strings - Turmoil and Tinfoil