BCB 100 Songs: "Rock and Roll Band"

Do talk back
sloopjohnc

Re: BCB 100 Songs: "Rock and Roll Band"

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Jan 2018, 16:39

Hate. Boston.

Rock and Roll Band? Boston was basically a general contractor with subcontractors there's the tile guy, the plumbing guy and an electrician.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 Jan 2018, 15:50

sloopjohnc wrote:Hate. Boston.

Rock and Roll Band? Boston was basically a general contractor with subcontractors there's the tile guy, the plumbing guy and an electrician.

Well, Zorak liked 'em.

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 04 Apr 2018, 01:21

I don't know what "era of BCB" 2005 was, but, during that summer,I did a series for several weeks called Listen With Loveless: these extremely long form pieces where I'd sit down with an album and go through it song by song, just...digging in to what made it move me.

Boston was one of the first records I explored.

It's impossible to remember much about the reaction ("mixed", surely), but..suffice to say, it's a hell of an album that manages to be this sort of "state of the art mid 70s Cal Jam era AOR Pet Sounds".

I agree with nathan that it works spectacularly as an album, but generally tends to feel decidedly more "plankton" when parsed out into the individual tracks, FM radio style.

I really enjoyed your writing about "R&RB" - you capture quite a bit about it and how it does what it does: not least of all a certain pure momentum/positive energy.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 04 Apr 2018, 02:02

Bent Fabric wrote:...suffice to say, it's a hell of an album that manages to be this sort of "state of the art mid 70s Cal Jam era AOR Pet Sounds".

I agree with nathan that it works spectacularly as an album, but generally tends to feel decidedly more "plankton" when parsed out into the individual tracks, FM radio style.

I think I know what you mean. You can truly sense the way everything fits together perfectly. In the more anarchic groups, you hear different personalities vying for space (Jefferson Airplane for example). In most groups, arguments were had and people play what they're supposed to but not always happily. With Boston, everybody happily plays all to the singular vision. That's because it's mostly Scholz doing it all. You get the same feeling with other one-man-band records (McCartney, Rhodes, Prince). Somehow everything fits and gels together just right, in a way you can't get with real bands.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Return to “Yakety Yak”