21%
Violent Femmes
9%

Total votes: 43

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: five more self-titled debut albums

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Jan 2018, 14:39

And his notion of metal guitarists being the end all/be all of 'influence' for a band as minor as Diamond Head is hopelessly myopic. But one reaches a point in these internet arguments where it becomes obvious the other guy is never going to back down no matter what is said - then it's time to merely walk away from the computer.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 16 Jan 2018, 16:31

I just voted for Love. It's honestly the only one of these I'd listen to.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2018, 17:08

toomanyhatz wrote:Nothing whatsoever lackluster about that Love album unless you compare it with what was to come. It's still a staggeringly good debut.

Actually, I like everything here - yes, even the Femmes - but Love's head and shoulders above the rest.

I'm with 'hatz. I think the Love is real good. I didn't realize the violent femmes were so despised. I like Van Halen because they rock but a lot about them always annoyed me - especially that sing songy signature backing vocal thing they do on every song - ACK. Still, I had roomates who wore it out & it rocks better than / as good as Montrose or what used to pass for hard rock albums in those dark days.
Last edited by Sneelock on 16 Jan 2018, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Jan 2018, 17:28

Oh, and David Lee Roth says “OW!” exactly 75% too often. I’ve done the math.
uggy poopy doody.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 21:24

Harvey K-Tel wrote:After reading this thread all I can think is thank fuck I'm not Copehead. I can't imagine being that tedious. People would fucking hate me!

And I thank god that I am not some one so petty or lacking in anything approaching a life that I would even think that of another human being for having a harmless bit of fun on a discussion about Van Halen

But I have to say I am a bit shocked at such a childish statement from someone I can barely remember exchanging comment with in the past 16 + years. Probably best not to let it fester Harv, better out than in
Last edited by copehead on 16 Jan 2018, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 21:27

Matt Wilson wrote:And his notion of metal guitarists being the end all/be all of 'influence' for a band as minor as Diamond Head is hopelessly myopic. But one reaches a point in these internet arguments where it becomes obvious the other guy is never going to back down no matter what is said - then it's time to merely walk away from the computer.

Let it go Matt, I showed you how influential they were on the most important Rock Band of the last 25 years, droning on after you've been shown to be out of your depth is just a bit sad.

Take your own advice, you are the one who can't stop picking at it.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 21:28

Who would have thought that American Van Halen fans ( bar Fonz ) would be such a bunch of cry baby morons?

I am shocked :o

:)

And I would like to change my vote to Love as well, because thinking about it that would be the album I would put on if given that choice, Blondie was a bit knee jerk and they hadn't really hit their stride yet.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Jan 2018, 21:42

Copehead wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:And his notion of metal guitarists being the end all/be all of 'influence' for a band as minor as Diamond Head is hopelessly myopic. But one reaches a point in these internet arguments where it becomes obvious the other guy is never going to back down no matter what is said - then it's time to merely walk away from the computer.

Let it go Matt, I showed you how influential they were on the most important Rock Band of the last 25 years, droning on after you've been shown to be out of your depth is just a bit sad.

What your feeble brain doesn't comprehend is that Metallica's influences mean nothing outside the metal world. A fact I've been trying to get you to understand but it's like trying to teach a duck to dance. And how can Metallica be the most important rock band of the past 25 years when they've sucked for most of that time? You've proved nada, zilch, zip, zero. Just like your Boomtown Rats discussion. You live in a fantasy world where your 'points' as it were, are worshipped and adored by all. Except no one but you feels this way.

And it's more than just 'a bit' sad.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 21:58

Matt Wilson wrote:
Copehead wrote:

What your feeble brain doesn't comprehend is that Metallica's influences mean nothing outside the metal world.

Neither do Van Halen's though. Once again using Metal as catch all for that style of music not some matt Wilson defined sub genera.

Post 80s Van Halen have influenced nothing other than a few guitarists who think shredding is cool.

A fact I've been trying to get you to understand but it's like trying to teach a duck to dance. And how can Metallica be the most important rock band of the past 25 years when they've sucked for most of that time?

Fuck knows, ask someone who buys their records, I think they are horrible, but I think it is pretty undeniable, they dominate that world like no other band I can think of has dominated any genre.

You've proved nada, zilch, zip, zero. Just like your Boomtown Rats discussion.

But you are, in the nicest possible way, bringing a pea shooter to a gun fight here.

All you do is tell me why I am wrong, you have nothing to back that up so forgive me if I don't bow to your superior argument.

You have no argument except that my argument is wrong for reasons you don't seem able to articulate but are based in liking Van Halen and not liking someone else pointing out what little imprint they left on current music. Compared to a bunch of virtual unknowns like Diamond Head.

You live in a fantasy world where your 'points' as it were, are worshipped and adored by all. Except no one but you feels this way.

People worshipping my points? Sounds cool, wish I did,

]And it's more than just 'a bit' sad.

I think we can agree on that

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Jan 2018, 22:07

And you've proved nothing either. You act as if most rock bands are influenced by Diamond Head - when no one outside the metal world even knows who they are. Metallica themselves influence no one outside the metal world either for your information. And it's metal itself which is the sub genre - that's all you can talk about. You've failed to mention even one band outside of Metallica in any of your 'points.' Your 'pea shooter' and 'gun fight' imagery suggests that, like I alluded to earlier, you truly believe you've laid out a point-by-point illustration of how Diamond Head are more influential than Van Halen - yet you've not named one band who actually sounds like Diamond Head - because it certainly isn't Metallica.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Jan 2018, 22:09

Does anyone here know what the fuck Copehead is on about?

It can't just be me - he sounds like a dribbling ijit.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 22:25

And let us not forget that what provoked this monumental hissy fit was the simple point that it is ironic that for all Van Halen's success a bunch of British NWOBHMers most people have never heard of have had a larger influence on the current rock scene.

The counter argument to this being the highly persuasive "didn't didn't didn't didn't didn't didn't "

Moral: if you dis Van Halen American males of a certain age get upset.

Fuck knows why, they were honest to goodness bollocks.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Jan 2018, 22:27

Preach Copey, preach.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 22:33

Matt Wilson wrote:And you've proved nothing either. You act as if most rock bands are influenced by Diamond Head - when no one outside the metal world even knows who they are. Metallica themselves influence no one outside the metal world either for your information. And it's metal itself which is the sub genre - that's all you can talk about. You've failed to mention even one band outside of Metallica in any of your 'points.' Your 'pea shooter' and 'gun fight' imagery suggests that, like I alluded to earlier, you truly believe you've laid out a point-by-point illustration of how Diamond Head are more influential than Van Halen - yet you've not named one band who actually sounds like Diamond Head - because it certainly isn't Metallica.

Well that is me shown; silly me for taking Metallica's word that Diamond Head were their seminal influence, I should have listened to Matt Wilson saying they weren't.

There is no point talking about bands outside Metallica because most of them are like Metallica: they dress the same, play a similar style of riffing hard rock, and go for the same sort of image.

And until you can name one current rock band talking about or sounding like Van Halen then it is 1:0 to me and I don't really need to bring up anyone else.

But it is nice you hold a flame for them, perhaps their day will come again, I sincerely hope not.

This isn't an outlandish or oddball thesis: it is self evident that no one in the modern rock scene is running around doing split kicks in purple leggings and mile high hair while shredding a wibbly guitar solo over pop metal.

They all wear black and play riff heavy rock music.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 22:34

Any way I have to fly half way around the world now
So I will get back to this on another date

death to false metal

I would still be interested to hear Sliders take on Van Halen in the UK from a grown ups point of view

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Jan 2018, 23:56

Copehead wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:And you've proved nothing either. You act as if most rock bands are influenced by Diamond Head - when no one outside the metal world even knows who they are. Metallica themselves influence no one outside the metal world either for your information. And it's metal itself which is the sub genre - that's all you can talk about. You've failed to mention even one band outside of Metallica in any of your 'points.' Your 'pea shooter' and 'gun fight' imagery suggests that, like I alluded to earlier, you truly believe you've laid out a point-by-point illustration of how Diamond Head are more influential than Van Halen - yet you've not named one band who actually sounds like Diamond Head - because it certainly isn't Metallica.

Well that is me shown; silly me for taking Metallica's word that Diamond Head were their seminal influence, I should have listened to Matt Wilson saying they weren't.

There is no point talking about bands outside Metallica because most of them are like Metallica: they dress the same, play a similar style of riffing hard rock, and go for the same sort of image.

And until you can name one current rock band talking about or sounding like Van Halen then it is 1:0 to me and I don't really need to bring up anyone else.

But it is nice you hold a flame for them, perhaps their day will come again, I sincerely hope not.

This isn't an outlandish or oddball thesis: it is self evident that no one in the modern rock scene is running around doing split kicks in purple leggings and mile high hair while shredding a wibbly guitar solo over pop metal.

They all wear black and play riff heavy rock music.

This is what I mean by you don't comprehend simple things. Please show me where I said Diamond Head weren't Metallica's main influence? What you fail to grasp is..........so what? What does that prove? Who says (besides you that is), that Metallica is the biggest rock band of the past 25 years? Did they influence grunge, hip hop or even Britpop? Of course not. Please try to respond to this so as not to seem like a fool. Metallica are only a metal band and no one cares about them save headbangers.

Your second point only refers to metal. Kinda like all of your points. It seems to be all you can converse about - despite trying to say this has nothing to do with metal.

You haven't named one current rock band who talks about Diamond Head. Metallica have been around for over thirty years now. Has this fact escaped you? Of course it has, silly question. In fact - your entire argument about the importance of Diamond Head centers on Metallica - as if that means anything to anyone save you.

It's nice you hold a flame for Diamond Head, but you seem to be the only one here who does. Start a Diamond Head vs Van Halen thread and see who agrees with you.

And Copehead, I've got news for you - very few people care about 'the modern rock scene.' No one save middle aged men arguing on the internet that is. Kids today care about pop and hip hop - and no one in those worlds has ever heard about Diamond Head. Go and google most influential guitar players in rock and see how many times Eddie appears, then see how many times Brian Tatler shows up. No, I didn't think you'd go for that. Your thesis would go up in smoke in an instant... :lol:

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 Jan 2018, 04:07

Matt Wilson wrote:You come from the school of Davey when it comes to arguing. One where you tell yourself that you're correct and you've made good points to prove your thesis. Your opponent, if that's what you want to call it, has been proved a fool and you've annihilated him with your profound and articulate illustrations.

Matt...nice to see you branching out. It was a waste of your talents back when you were acting like a bellicose ass-nugget to only one person at a time.

Well done!
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Jan 2018, 08:57

:lol: :lol:
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 17 Jan 2018, 17:15

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:You come from the school of Davey when it comes to arguing. One where you tell yourself that you're correct and you've made good points to prove your thesis. Your opponent, if that's what you want to call it, has been proved a fool and you've annihilated him with your profound and articulate illustrations.

Matt...nice to see you branching out. It was a waste of your talents back when you were acting like a bellicose ass-nugget to only one person at a time.

Well done!

I wanted to attain the heights you used to effortlessly climb to when you were bellowing against half of the forum in your God threads, Todd. Your idiocracy a sterling example of hubris and narcissism. I've a long way to go, fortunately.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 Jan 2018, 18:19

Well don’t get ahead of yourself Matt. You’re well suited for any endeavor that calls for impotent aggression. But anything requiring brains might be beyond you.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Return to “Yakety Yak”