21%
Violent Femmes
9%

Total votes: 43

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: five more self-titled debut albums

Postby KeithPratt » 16 Jan 2018, 10:01

Van Halen and Guns 'n' Roses are two very similar bands. Rock bands with punk roots that had a pop sensibility. They were scorned by metal heads precisely because of this. They weren't "metal" enough etc.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 10:06

Fonz wrote:In the same way that Hendrix influenced every rock guitarist that came after, either directly or infirectly, Eddie did the same after the VH debut.
That influence, though less obvious now (40 years on) is still felt.
I say this as a player of 30-odd years with a voracious appetite for Guitar magazines.

Whose side are you on :x

I know what you mean; but no one really plays like EVH, like I suppose no one really plays like Hendrix, but every guitarist will have listened to them.

Modern rock seem to owe more to Tatler and so even more so Tony Iommi I suppose. That lineage of riffing seems much more dominant these days. The sort of shredding that reached it apogee with EVH, Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen seems a trifle naff these days does it not? I thought Metallica, grunge and Nu Metal had made it seemed a bit old fashioned and wanky years ago.

But I am not a subscriber to any Guitar magazines so you'd probably know better than me, enlighten us.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 16 Jan 2018, 10:10

Toby wrote:Van Halen and Guns 'n' Roses are two very similar bands. Rock bands with punk roots that had a pop sensibility. They were scorned by metal heads precisely because of this. They weren't "metal" enough etc.

They certainly weren't. I'd grown out of it all really by GnR ( and Axl Rose's screech was enough to make sure I didn't grow back into it ) and I am not sure what punk roots VH had, they seemed more like a gussied up Aerosmith, but they were definitely not metal enough for my peers.

What really killed them and their like off was a similar musical style that really did have punk roots, had some pop sensibility and was metal enough and that was Grunge.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 16 Jan 2018, 10:12

Copehead wrote:
Fonz wrote:In the same way that Hendrix influenced every rock guitarist that came after, either directly or infirectly, Eddie did the same after the VH debut.
That influence, though less obvious now (40 years on) is still felt.
I say this as a player of 30-odd years with a voracious appetite for Guitar magazines.

Whose side are you on :x

I know what you mean; but no one really plays like EVH, like I suppose no one really plays like Hendrix, but every guitarist will have listened to them.

Modern rock seem to owe more to Tatler and so even more so Tony Iommi I suppose. That lineage of riffing seems much more dominant these days. The sort of shredding that reached it apogee with EVH, Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen seems a trifle naff these days does it not? I thought Metallica, grunge and Nu Metal had made it seemed a bit old fashioned and wanky years ago.

But I am not a subscriber to any Guitar magazines so you'd probably know better than me, enlighten us.

Prob the best example of a group/ guitarist being influenced by VH is Pantera. Dime was buried with the ‘Bumblebee’. Pantera, and Dime, are still very influential today. Even to the point of sibs in dr/gt.

Any group with a guitarist that even slightly ‘shredd’ Will have the Eddie influence.
The rock/metal scene thrives, despite its non-visibility on bcb.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Jan 2018, 10:14

Fonz wrote:Dime was buried with the ‘Bumblebee’. Pantera, and Dime, are still very influential today. Even to the point of sibs in dr/gt.

:?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 Jan 2018, 10:16

I'm guessing that siblings on drums and guitar. :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Jan 2018, 10:20

aha!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Jan 2018, 10:21

I had friends growing up who were Metallers so I was exposed to a fair amount of the vile stuff. One thing I do remember is that Kerrang dug Van Halen. I’m sure I recall adverts selling EVH-style guitars, those stripey things.

Side issue - what happened to Pandora Peroxide? Googling shows her as a Grunge-r?

Fucking Seattle.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Jan 2018, 11:44

fucken OCTO-ARM wrote:
Fonz wrote:Dime was buried with the ‘Bumblebee’. Pantera, and Dime, are still very influential today. Even to the point of sibs in dr/gt.

Dimbag Darryl - guitarist (for Pantera?), dead - I would assume bumblebee was his guitar (didn't he play a V with a custom concentric circles paintjob?)

Guitar magazines are always obsessed with these tedious but presumably technically proficient fret wankers.

The last time I subscribed to one they seemed to have Guthrie Govan (who he?) on the cover every other month - I would get slightly excited at the prospect of a big profile of 'Guthrie' only to find out it was Govan rather than Robin :x

Just checked and his name's Darrell :)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Jan 2018, 11:51

nev harp wrote:I had friends growing up who were Metallers so I was exposed to a fair amount of the vile stuff. One thing I do remember is that Kerrang dug Van Halen. I’m sure I recall adverts selling EVH-style guitars, those stripey things.

Side issue - what happened to Pandora Peroxide? Googling shows her as a Grunge-r?

Fucking Seattle.

I think there is an EVH brand of guitars and amps.

... indeed there is:

http://www.evhgear.com
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 16 Jan 2018, 13:09

Deebank wrote:
fucken OCTO-ARM wrote:

Dimbag Darryl - guitarist (for Pantera?), dead - I would assume bumblebee was his guitar (didn't he play a V with a custom concentric circles paintjob?)

Guitar magazines are always obsessed with these tedious but presumably technically proficient fret wankers.

The last time I subscribed to one they seemed to have Guthrie Govan (who he?) on the cover every other month - I would get slightly excited at the prospect of a big profile of 'Guthrie' only to find out it was Govan rather than Robin :x

Bumblebee was EVH’s black with yellow stripes axe.
Dime was a big VH fan.

I get that somefolks don’t enjoy ‘fret wankery’. I do, however.
The guitar is my instrument, and musically at least, it is how I express my creative side.
From my beginnings as a ‘4 chords and the truth’ type, I needed more. More notes doesn’t mean better, but having more tools/tricks in your armoury can help.
I’m still learning, still willing my fingers to move faster.

Just because you can play fast doesn’t mean you have to. When I’m composing my own stuff it’s rare there’s anything fast in there.

Eddie made it seem effortless and fun.
Dave was definitely having a good time.

I’ll have a bit of that. Rather than po-faced miserabilists. Or sincere worthiness.
Heyyyy!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 16 Jan 2018, 13:32

Fonz wrote:
Deebank wrote:
fucken OCTO-ARM wrote:

Bumblebee was EVH’s black with yellow stripes axe.
Dime was a big VH fan.

I get that somefolks don’t enjoy ‘fret wankery’. I do, however.
The guitar is my instrument, and musically at least, it is how I express my creative side.
From my beginnings as a ‘4 chords and the truth’ type, I needed more. More notes doesn’t mean better, but having more tools/tricks in your armoury can help.
I’m still learning, still willing my fingers to move faster.

Just because you can play fast doesn’t mean you have to. When I’m composing my own stuff it’s rare there’s anything fast in there.

Eddie made it seem effortless and fun.
Dave was definitely having a good time.

I’ll have a bit of that. Rather than po-faced miserabilists. Or sincere worthiness.

I have no problem with that and to be fair they seem like a decent bunch (Satriani et al), I'm just not interested in their music per se.

Without knowing a lot about him/it, it occurs to me that EVH combined raw talent and speed with new technology (I'm thinking Floyd Rose locking trems or whatever) and a couple of his own signature 'moves'. But thus are legends born, right?

And Jump is a great pop song... I have no desire to ever hear it again, but it is undeniable :)

As it goes this was on DD's wikipedia page:

Abbott stated in various interviews that his riffs were largely influenced by Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath.[30] Iommi also influenced Dimebag's guitar tone and tunings, which often went down to D♭ or lower. Pantera covered Black Sabbath songs "Planet Caravan", "Hole in the Sky" and "Electric Funeral". Eddie Van Halen was another big influence on his style. He learned "Eruption" note-for-note and often played it live in his early days.[31]

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 16 Jan 2018, 13:57

Can someone post that clip of Van Halen, with Dave in the big white polar bear boots please!
Heyyyy!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 16 Jan 2018, 14:03

fucken OCTO-ARM wrote:

This isn't Twitter for fuck's sake!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Jan 2018, 14:05

Too fucken right

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 16 Jan 2018, 14:08

After reading this thread all I can think is thank fuck I'm not Copehead. I can't imagine being that tedious. People would fucking hate me!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Jan 2018, 14:12

Would?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 16 Jan 2018, 14:19

This list of people I'm glad I'm not just keeps growing.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Jan 2018, 14:23

:lol:

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Jan 2018, 14:27

Harvey K-Tel wrote:After reading this thread all I can think is thank fuck I'm not Copehead. I can't imagine being that tedious. People would fucking hate me!

:lol:

Return to “Yakety Yak”