81%

Total votes: 48

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Jan 2018, 13:35

BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:One of the greatest pop albums ever made

It's magnificent. You've got four of the greatest singles of the era - that alone qualifies it as far as I'm concerned. But then there's 'Seconds', for fuck's sake!

There might be two tracks I could live without, but I could say the same thing about Pepper.

Does not "suck" in any right-thinking person's world.

I Am The Law is a bit daft but I don't dislike it and it works fine in the context of the album. It's full of hooks and melodies, the sleeve is zeitgeist on a stick and the singles are some of the best of that era. And it ends really strongly as well.

But, hey, 80s, synths, whatever
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 10 Jan 2018, 13:49

80s, yeah, same as Journey, they were all doing the same thing
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Jan 2018, 16:12

I'm going to vote that it goes in the Hall of Suck. I don't get it. I hear people rhapsodize about how brilliant this sort of stuff is and I need to pinch myself to see if we're talking about the same stuff. In the spirit of the thread - I WILL try to give it a spin & see if the scales fall from my eyes. I have a few things to do first - a few chores, some yard work, take the car in for repairs, feed the hungry, heal the sick etc..
uggy poopy doody.

NMB

Postby NMB » 10 Jan 2018, 17:26

It’s just all so inept, of course it sucks.
turn on, tune in, nod off

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 10 Jan 2018, 17:52

It’s a classic. The next album was really good as well, but perhaps a bit too much pop sheen.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jan 2018, 18:24

Sneelock wrote:I'm going to vote that it goes in the Hall of Suck. I don't get it.

I don't think your generation of American music fan does get synth music. I'm not sure why, but there's a clear pattern to comments when we've discussed this kind of stuff over the years.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jan 2018, 18:36

The level of defensiveness here is pretty striking giving the overwhelming support this album is getting. You’d think it was under fire.

Why the need to dismiss contrary opinions as not getting synths or conflating all 80s music?

What if a few people just don’t love this music? That’s not possible?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jan 2018, 18:45

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:The level of defensiveness here is pretty striking giving the overwhelming support this album is getting. You’d think it was under fire.

Why the need to dismiss contrary opinions as not getting synths or conflating all 80s music?

No defensiveness at all. I think what I've said is blindingly obvious. Why don't you just admit that (like Hatz, Snee or Matt) you just don't like synth music of this period (or indeed any). It seems that people are worried at being dismissed as having narrow taste or something, so they pretend it's just an opinion on that particular act when it's really the genre or the period they don't like. I mean that's your taste, you shouldn't have to apologise for it.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jan 2018, 19:10

I can’t speak for others, but I’m pretty on record about not being a huge fan of electronic music as a genre. So in my case, it’s silly to accuse me of trying to paper over that.

But it simply isn’t true that I dislike synth music because of the instrument. There’s plenty of examples to the contrary. Like all things, it depends on the specific aesthetic choices involved.

Just a few weeks ago I was involved in a conversation on Facebook about McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmas Time.” A few of its detractors were bemoaning the synth sounds. I defended them, as I think (regardless of what you might feel about the song itself) that the sonic choices on the track all work pretty well to my ears.

In my mind, this has a lot to do with the amount of open space in the sonic landscape, and the more percussive/staccato approach of the synths.

By contrast, a lot of the choices on Dare are just really unattractive to me. The vocal style in particular, but also the drum sounds and the general approach to filling space via the synth.

It’s entirely possible that there’s a generational component to my disliking these sounds (people younger than me probably were partially formed by really bad sounding records - and perhaps developed a fondness for ugly sounds), but I don’t think it’s a lack of “getting” anything.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Jan 2018, 19:15

well, I LOVE electronic music. in fact, I actually spent my very own hard-earned Sneelock Dollars on Human League's "Reproduction" album and sort of liked it more or less.

The Modernist wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:The level of defensiveness here is pretty striking giving the overwhelming support this album is getting. You’d think it was under fire.

No defensiveness at all. I think what I've said is blindingly obvious. Why don't you just admit that (like Hatz, Snee or Matt) you just don't like synth music of this period (or indeed any). It seems that people are worried at being dismissed as having narrow taste or something, so they pretend it's just an opinion on that particular act when it's really the genre or the period they don't like. I mean that's your taste, you shouldn't have to apologise for it.

nor should you have to apologize for liking music that is very popular. it doesn't flatten your pointed head that you like something that went to the top of the charts. just because people who ate with their elbows on the table liked "dare" doesn't reflect on YOU at all. Likewise, just because I DON'T like it says absolutely nothing else about me.

I don't like the songs - you do. that's really all there is to it.
Last edited by Sneelock on 10 Jan 2018, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Jan 2018, 19:18

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:I can’t speak for others, but I’m pretty on record about not being a huge fan of electronic music as a genre. So in my case, it’s silly to accuse me of trying to paper over that.

But it simply isn’t true that I dislike synth music because of the instrument. There’s plenty of examples to the contrary. Like all things, it depends on the specific aesthetic choices involved.

Just a few weeks ago I was involved in a conversation on Facebook about McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmas Time.” A few of its detractors were bemoaning the synth sounds. I defended them, as I think (regardless of what you might feel about the song itself) that the sonic choices on the track all work pretty well to my ears.

In my mind, this has a lot to do with the amount of open space in the sonic landscape, and the more percussive/staccato approach of the synths.

By contrast, a lot of the choices on Dare are just really unattractive to me. The vocal style in particular, but also the drum sounds and the general approach to filling space via the synth.

It’s entirely possible that there’s a generational component to my disliking these sounds (people younger than me probably were partially formed by really bad sounding records - and perhaps developed a fondness for ugly sounds), but I don’t think it’s a lack of “getting” anything.

Or maybe it's just because you aren't a very good dancer? I think this is what much of this boils down to.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Jan 2018, 19:20

you might have something there. I scared a date away once trying my best to "Safety Dance"
it was not a pretty sight.
uggy poopy doody.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Jan 2018, 19:23

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It’s entirely possible that there’s a generational component to my disliking these sounds (people younger than me probably were partially formed by really bad sounding records - and perhaps developed a fondness for ugly sounds), but I don’t think it’s a lack of “getting” anything.

"it might be my fault that I don't like this music - which by the way is really shitty" :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jan 2018, 19:26

Yeah..I think its a bad sounding record. Have I been unclear on that point?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jan 2018, 19:29

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Or maybe it's just because you aren't a very good dancer? I think this is what much of this boils down to.

Correlation vs causation.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 10 Jan 2018, 19:31

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Yeah..I think its a bad sounding record. Have I been unclear on that point?

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:It’s entirely possible that there’s a generational component to my disliking these sounds (people younger than me probably were partially formed by really bad sounding records - and perhaps developed a fondness for ugly sounds), but I don’t think it’s a lack of “getting” anything.

never mistake subjectivity for objectivity, Davey x

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 10 Jan 2018, 19:32

Minnie the Minx wrote:Or maybe it's just because you aren't a very good dancer? I think this is what much of this boils down to.

Well that's certainly true in my particular case! :D

Although, there is plenty of dance music I love - most 70s disco, for starters - so obviously if something transcends just being a dance record, I'm still fully capable of loving it.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 10 Jan 2018, 19:35

Doesn't suck. Mostly very good!

P.S. If I had the energy, I would clarify the differences between Styx and Journey for our British posters who think they are equivalent.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Jan 2018, 19:35

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Correlation vs causation.

Godzilla vs Megalon

uggy poopy doody.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jan 2018, 19:36

BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Yeah..I think its a bad sounding record. Have I been unclear on that point?

never mistake subjectivity for objectivity, Davey x

Must every discussion here devolve into a lecture on subjectivity - or can we accept this as a given?

Return to “Yakety Yak”