BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Do talk back

It Sucketh?

Poll ended at 16 Jan 2018, 23:24

Into the Hall it goes
9
19%
Does not suck
39
81%
 
Total votes: 48

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11011
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jan 2018, 22:53

Snee sees it as effeminate basically. Music for girls. :)

User avatar
sneelock
Posts: 11018
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby sneelock » 10 Jan 2018, 22:54

are you suggesting that girls are the only ones who like to get dressed up and bounce around to catchy music?
Sexist!!!! ;)
"the brakes are good and the tires are fair.”

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50639
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby German Dave » 10 Jan 2018, 22:58

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Nominated by Moddie


Has he had a bump on the head or something? :?
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11011
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jan 2018, 22:59

Sneelock wrote:are you suggesting that girls are the only ones who like to get dressed up and bounce around to catchy music?
Sexist!!!! ;)


I want you to get in touch with your feminine side Snee. It's not too late, just a daub of eyeliner is all that it will take!

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11011
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby The Modernist » 10 Jan 2018, 22:59

German Dave wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Nominated by Moddie


Has he had a bump on the head or something? :?


Just Davey's little joke.

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50639
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby German Dave » 10 Jan 2018, 23:03

Thank god. I was composing your obituary in my head, there.
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
sneelock
Posts: 11018
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby sneelock » 10 Jan 2018, 23:03

The Modernist wrote:
I want you to get in touch with your feminine side Snee. It's not too late, just a daub of eyeliner is all that it will take!


are you kidding? I'm wearing ladies underwear!
"the brakes are good and the tires are fair.”

User avatar
nev gash
cultural defective
Posts: 15456
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: jouissance

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby nev gash » 10 Jan 2018, 23:05

They’re supposed to go under the trousers.
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

User avatar
sneelock
Posts: 11018
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby sneelock » 10 Jan 2018, 23:16

:oops:
"the brakes are good and the tires are fair.”

User avatar
fange
Posts: 11837
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby fange » 10 Jan 2018, 23:19

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:never mistake subjectivity for objectivity, Davey x


fange wrote: Dare is brilliant. While there's always the odd cloth-eared cretin who might want to dispute this, they are clearly wrong.


Moleskin wrote:Only someone completely tone deaf could have nominated this one.


BCB's Most Tedious Poster wrote:Does not "suck" in any right-thinking person's world.

You know i was just having a laugh with the cretin part, right?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
nev gash
cultural defective
Posts: 15456
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: jouissance

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby nev gash » 10 Jan 2018, 23:23

He meant galah.
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

User avatar
fange
Posts: 11837
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby fange » 10 Jan 2018, 23:29

Drongo.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
fange
Posts: 11837
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby fange » 10 Jan 2018, 23:51

Davey the Fat Boy wrote: ugly sounds


U-g-l-y, you ain't got no alibi...
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare
hounds people off the board
Posts: 16319
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 10 Jan 2018, 23:53

STOP BEING PLAYFUL
Betty Denim wrote:As for Patti Smith, now there’s an insufferable cunt. The most pretentious, tedious, bag of incomprehensible self-important shit with all the charm and intelligence of Bungle from Rainbow.

User avatar
nev gash
cultural defective
Posts: 15456
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: jouissance

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby nev gash » 10 Jan 2018, 23:54

C’mon, Davey don’t dig Celeste, he prefers the honest sound of an acoustic guitar.
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 23215
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 11 Jan 2018, 00:13

The Modernist wrote:Come now Davey, your blind devotion to anything Beatles related is well established. The fact that for years you were using Kraftwerk as a BCB meme for 'shit and overrated' tells me everything I need to know about your attitude to synths. I doubt there's much that would get your approval, although I'm sure we can find a Dylan song which uses a synth which you can use as evidence of your broad-minded appreciation of the genre.


Boy...you really are a piece of work!

I’m perfectly capable of saying exactly what I mean without your help. So yeah - I DO think Kraftwerk is ridiculously overrated, and I DO love the Beatles. Guilty as charged.

But my opinions on the synth as an instrument are fairly complex. Just as you don’t love every act that ever put an acoustic guitar at the center of their music, I don’t have to love every synth act to prove that I don’t have an irrational prejudice against an instrument.

What I’ve generally not liked is a lot of the musical choices often made by synth acts. I DO like how McCartney uses them more than The Human League. Not because I’m more comfortable with McCartney or am unwilling to criticize him (don’t get me started on Press to Play) - but because I generally like his musical instincts more than the folks in The Human fucking League.

Now stop being an asshole.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

Image

User avatar
fange
Posts: 11837
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby fange » 11 Jan 2018, 00:20

:lol:

Easy, tiger. Let's not get het up under the collar.

Remember, synthhole is as synthhole does. A synth in the hand is worth two up yer tush.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8579
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby Polishgirl » 11 Jan 2018, 00:29

It's got the singles. It's got Seconds. It's got I Am The Law. It is fabulous.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
Polishgirl
Posts: 8579
Joined: 21 Dec 2009, 22:06

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby Polishgirl » 11 Jan 2018, 00:34

Goat Boy wrote:
I Am The Law is a bit daft


:o
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11011
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: BCB Hall of Suck: Dare - The Human League

Postby The Modernist » 11 Jan 2018, 01:39

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:Come now Davey, your blind devotion to anything Beatles related is well established. The fact that for years you were using Kraftwerk as a BCB meme for 'shit and overrated' tells me everything I need to know about your attitude to synths. I doubt there's much that would get your approval, although I'm sure we can find a Dylan song which uses a synth which you can use as evidence of your broad-minded appreciation of the genre.


Boy...you really are a piece of work!

I’m perfectly capable of saying exactly what I mean without your help. So yeah - I DO think Kraftwerk is ridiculously overrated, and I DO love the Beatles. Guilty as charged.

But my opinions on the synth as an instrument are fairly complex. Just as you don’t love every act that ever put an acoustic guitar at the center of their music, I don’t have to love every synth act to prove that I don’t have an irrational prejudice against an instrument.

What I’ve generally not liked is a lot of the musical choices often made by synth acts. I DO like how McCartney uses them more than The Human League. Not because I’m more comfortable with McCartney or am unwilling to criticize him (don’t get me started on Press to Play) - but because I generally like his musical instincts more than the folks in The Human fucking League.

Now stop being an asshole.


Well I'm not trying to pick on you so calm down. If you prefer McCartney's synth songs to The Human League then great. It is a bit like saying Rod Stewart made better disco records than Chic, but whatever floats your boat.