1988 - The BCB year in review

Do talk back
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

1988 - The BCB year in review

Postby clive gash » 08 Jan 2018, 21:44

Think yourself back to ‘88 (1988 Rayge, sorry).

What were you listening to?
What had you stopped listening to?
What new discoveries, what surprised you?
Fave LPs/Tracks at the time? And now?
Who did you think would make it big but never did?
What did you miss looking back?
Best gigs?

Anything else?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: 1988 - The BCB year in review

Postby The Modernist » 09 Jan 2018, 00:22

I can barely remember that year, so I can't really answer your questions. I do remember I'd pretty much stopped buying singles apart from the odd American 12" soul/electro track.
I had a look at NME's top 50 singles and albums, and found I bought all of three (all albums) - Public Enemy. Eric B and Rakim and Cocteau Twins.
The only band I remember listening to that weren't on that list was A.R.Kane, who I still rate. I probably bought 'The House Sound of Chicago' in that year too, I was onto that stuff pretty early. And the Morgan Khan Street Sounds comps of course.Like a lot of people, I was waiting for something to happen -luckily it did.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Jan 2018, 03:21

What were you listening to?

Young Fresh Fellows, Lemonheads, Primitives, Replacements, Husker Du, Pixies, Hard-Ons, Redd Kross, Game Theory

What had you stopped listening to?

arena rock that I now listen to more than the above.

What new discoveries, what surprised you?

Sonic Youth was an ear-opener.

Fave LPs/Tracks at the time? And now?

Primitives - Lovely, Living Colour - Vivid, Pixies - Surfer Rosa, Lemonheads - Lick, Prohibition -- Flophouse. Still like the same stuff but also more hip hop and metal from that time.

Who did you think would make it big but never did?

Primitives, Young Fresh Fellows, Living Colour, probably.

What did you miss looking back?

I miss all the old record shops in Austin that I used to frequent.

Best gigs?

Squeeze (with Jools Holland!) at the Austin Coliseum. Still consider it one of the best shows I've seen.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 09 Jan 2018, 10:05

I turned 15 in 1988. It was, in reflection, the year I really started listening to music. I had no interest in it before then - apart from taping the Top 40.

What were you listening to? - Public Enemy mostly. I had "A nation of millions" welded to my walkman from '88. And the first album obviously. That's about it.

What had you stopped listening to? - Chart music

What new discoveries, what surprised you? - Everything I guess. My brother was in Loop at the time so he was sending me tapes of their stuff. It was ok, but I wasn't into it much. I liked what I heard of acid house, in particular this, which I heard for the first time on the radio in a cafe in Haltwhistle, whilst walking Hadrian's Wall.

Fave LPs/Tracks at the time? And now? - Well, my knowledge of acid house is much greater now obviously. My Bloody Valentine, Larry Heard, Pat Metheny, Steve Reich (Different Trains), loads of other ambient music like the Software album, which is a classic.

Who did you think would make it big but never did? - Loop!

What did you miss looking back? - I was too young for acid house, which was at its height then. None of my friends were into it, and wouldn't be until 1993 or so.

Best gig - I didn't go to my first gig until 1989.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Jan 2018, 10:53

What were you listening to? peak FALL obsession around 1988, also Pixies, REM, Smiths/Morrissey ('Suedehead' still brings it all back), Beefheart, Talking Heads, Pere Ubu, 60s garage (the NME cassette especially)

What had you stopped listening to? The Beatles, sort of

What new discoveries, what surprised you? late in the year my mate Dale played me some MBV, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, House of Love and some Sarah stuff on a good system which took up half of his student room. I can't say all of it blew me away but some SHO' opened my eyes to what guitars could do in the late 80s. And Blue Note comps - I listened to more jazz back then than I do now. Blue Bop was a beloved one (with a fabulous Tina Brooks' track)

Fave LPs/Tracks at the time? And now? Surfer Rosa was a BIG fave, played the fuck out of that one. 'Bremen Nacht', 'You Made Me Realise', Sugarcubes/That Petrol Emotion/Bachelor Pad/Huskers A-sides

What did you miss looking back? I don't feel like I missed anything. To the left was Tracy Chapman and to the right was Public Enemy and I fucking hated both. White boys with guitars, right? :oops:

Best gigs? House of Love at Birmingham Irish Centre, The Fall at Liverpool Royal Court, Weddoes at Newcastle Riverside were all bone-rattlers and I came away bruised (other gigs lost in an alcoholic haze - I seem to remember the Bhundu Boys packing the Riverside out)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Jan 2018, 12:58

Blimey, I only turned 13 back then. I think I was probably half way between listening to Level 42/Pet Shop Boys, and heading into thrash metal territory around then. I know that within a year I was regularly tuning into the John Peel show to hear whatever grindcore he was picking out.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 09 Jan 2018, 14:35

I was seven years old, so probably, the Teenage mutant hero turtles intro was probably my favorite tune.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Jan 2018, 15:09

I got married in June, turned 40 in October. Music, fuck knows.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Jan 2018, 15:10

kewl klive wrote:Think yourself back to ‘88 (1988 Rayge, sorry).

Cheeky cunt
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Yakety Yak”