RIP Ray Thomas

Do talk back
User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37165
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 07 Jan 2018, 11:48

b 1941



Moody Blues
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
nev gash
cultural defective
Posts: 15456
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: jouissance

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby nev gash » 07 Jan 2018, 14:45

RIP Ray. A big part of the reason the Moodies lift off.
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2322
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Jan 2018, 14:51

kewl klive wrote:RIP Ray. A big part of the reason the Moodies lift off.


His "Legend of a Mind" may be the greatest thing they ever put to tape.

User avatar
nev gash
cultural defective
Posts: 15456
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: jouissance

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby nev gash » 07 Jan 2018, 15:05

It’s wonderful.

The Moodies were yer proper three pints of Bitter psychedelicists.
Hodgson wrote:You just have to face reality that you are not well liked by some people here. Not necessarily people who will shout on the BCB cunt threads,but posters who are well liked by all and who get on with the business of posting to threads when they want

User avatar
slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?
Posts: 9730
Joined: 03 Sep 2003, 20:07
Location: facing the computer
Contact:

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby slightbreeze » 07 Jan 2018, 16:14

Always liked Ray. No great shakes as a flautist and the majority of his songs were pretty dreadful, but he always looked dapper and didn't seem to take the po faced music too seriously . RIP, Ray, you seemed to be a very down to earth and likeable chap

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28922
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Jan 2018, 16:33

Days of Future Past is grossly under appreciated here.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6616
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby jimboo » 07 Jan 2018, 18:24

It isn't.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
Purgatory Brite
Posts: 1830
Joined: 22 Feb 2015, 11:31

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Purgatory Brite » 07 Jan 2018, 18:54

RIP

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 22015
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby never/ever » 07 Jan 2018, 19:42

Sad to hear. Just before their HoF-induction too.
Jon K just posted on Facebook about it, he had just finished a cruise-tour with the other Moody Blues-members.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 16381
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby pcqgod » 07 Jan 2018, 23:28

I loved Ray's singing, his songs, his flute playing, even. I know that he had retired touring with the Moodies some time ago, and though I am still excited to see them on their 50th anniversary 'Days of Future Passed' tour in a couple of weeks, I knew it wasn't going to be the same without him.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Posts: 26657
Joined: 07 Apr 2005, 00:01
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby toomanyhatz » 08 Jan 2018, 00:42

He's outside looking in. :(

I always liked the music hall goofiness he brought to them. A much-needed antidote to the seriousness elsewhere.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.


1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46475
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Quaco » 08 Jan 2018, 08:24

Massive fan of the Moodies over here. His weren't the easiest to love because they weren't sexy, but his influence gave them a dorky, down-to-earth quality which, as others have said, was a good antidote to the seriousness of Pinder and Edge especially -- even though Thomas himself was serious in his way -- and to the almost too good hair of Hayward. I guess he's like the odd uncle who told funny stories that family gatherings just aren't the same without.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2322
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Bent Fabric » 08 Jan 2018, 12:39

Quaco wrote:Massive fan of the Moodies over here.


I had an anxiety dream last night about frantically trying to text you from Staples Center because I was supposed to play the Moodies' RRHOF induction ceremony and it was all deep cuts from the early 70s (handpicked by Arthur Lee, no less) that I didn't really know and wasn't going to have time to learn in a matter of minutes.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 12199
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Rayge » 08 Jan 2018, 15:42

I only opened this thread because I didn't know who he was (a common occurrence in obit threads). Once I found out he was a flautist from a band I, ahem, haven't cared for for a half-century or more, I was going to leave, because, well, don't speak ill of the dead and all that, but then I read the rest of the tributes, so I'll just say,
RIP Ray
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
sneelock
Posts: 11018
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby sneelock » 08 Jan 2018, 16:32

toomanyhatz wrote:He's outside looking in. :(

I always liked the music hall goofiness he brought to them. A much-needed antidote to the seriousness elsewhere.



bingo.
I was sadder to hear than I might have expected. I guess I liked him a lot.
"the brakes are good and the tires are fair.”

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46475
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Quaco » 10 Jan 2018, 00:19

Bent Fabric wrote:
Quaco wrote:Massive fan of the Moodies over here.


I had an anxiety dream last night about frantically trying to text you from Staples Center because I was supposed to play the Moodies' RRHOF induction ceremony and it was all deep cuts from the early 70s (handpicked by Arthur Lee, no less) that I didn't really know and wasn't going to have time to learn in a matter of minutes.

Call Mills! Was I going to stand in for you, or text you the chords?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2322
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Bent Fabric » 10 Jan 2018, 04:21

Quaco wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:
Quaco wrote:Massive fan of the Moodies over here.


I had an anxiety dream last night about frantically trying to text you from Staples Center because I was supposed to play the Moodies' RRHOF induction ceremony and it was all deep cuts from the early 70s (handpicked by Arthur Lee, no less) that I didn't really know and wasn't going to have time to learn in a matter of minutes.

Call Mills! Was I going to stand in for you, or text you the chords?


Oh, I expected you to play.

User avatar
Nancy
Daft Sod
Posts: 7646
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 22:25
Location: Where I am when I'm not here.

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Nancy » 11 Jan 2018, 16:16

RIP Ray.

Always loved his voice, and he was a very good flute player - sometimes double-tracking bass flute and soloing over himself.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

User avatar
Carlsson
Robust
Posts: 49056
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby Carlsson » 11 Jan 2018, 16:59

I watched The Moodies at Isle of Wight 1970 last night- robust stuff.

Not quite an Ian Anderson but a good flautist and a great voice in a corker of a band

RIP Ray






.
neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

User avatar
kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos
Posts: 34032
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 15:20
Location: bama via new orleans

Re: RIP Ray Thomas

Postby kath » 12 Jan 2018, 20:32

another massive fan of the moodies here, and of ray's contributions.

r.i.p. ray.

sniff. i imagine i'll get more words out at the listen.