Your own ultimate list of albums...only ten!

Do talk back
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Your own ultimate list of albums...only ten!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Feb 2018, 10:23

I can relate to and agree with a lot of the above. Though for me that process of my tastes solidifying and forming my own personal canon happened much later, more like mid thirties. That reflects a generational thing a well as people who grew up in the 70s and 80s were mainly consuming new music. I was a bit unusual in that I did look back, but even so most music I consumed back then was new stuff. Music media then also concentrated on the new, it wasn't until the mid to late nineties you had magazines like Mojo looking to the past.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 27 Feb 2018, 12:57

By my mid-teens I was always looking backwards.
My list on this thread isn't my favourite albums by any means, but the watershed moments, the albums that opened up whole new world's of listening for me. I suppose I could have put some super-rare soul record that I adore now, but the truth was that it was hearing a greatest hits album that opened that door to me as a kid. Similarly, I didn't drive straight into Black Monk Time, it was Nuggets that ushered me into that world, and Liege and Lief that made me start on folk. That's why these are the ones listed, not because they are the best or most impressive. They also cover a very short time period from the age of 12 to about 20 I would guess. I haven't had any real watershed musical moments since then, sadly.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

NMB

Postby NMB » 27 Feb 2018, 13:32

Maybe not the greatest albums ever made but old friends and comfort blankets.

Ram
Pet Sounds
John Wesley Harding
Beggars Banquet
Crosby Stills and Nash
Schoolboys in Disgrace
Pronounced Leh-nerd Skin-nerd
Grateful Dead (Skullfuck)
London Calling
Diamond Dogs

I'll probably change a couple after more thought.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Feb 2018, 14:57

fange wrote:
Super-Jank wrote:But you do seem to get people who constantly listen to music, they always have something on the go almost regardless of what shit it is. It's weird.

Why is it weird? :? We're music people here; i'm always trying new things, even if I go back to my wheelhouse stuff for the joy and excitement i'm guaranteed it will bring.

I'm a person who constantly listens to music. I don't find it weird at all! How else could I find something that might end up being on a list of my ultimate albums if I don't hear it first?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 15:05

How do you expect the Count to win another BCB cup if he doesn't?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 27 Feb 2018, 15:29

Goat Boy wrote:How do you expect the Count to win another BCB cup if he doesn't?

I'm pinning all my hopes on the World Music Bobbins Cup

Really, though, why willfully suspend your curiosity? There might be all kinds of stuff out there that could move you deeply. Your old standby records aren't going anywhere...they're going to be there when you want them. Take a damn chance on something and don't be so picky, I say.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 27 Feb 2018, 15:49

Count Machuki wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:How do you expect the Count to win another BCB cup if he doesn't?

Really, though, why willfully suspend your curiosity? There might be all kinds of stuff out there that could move you deeply. Your old standby records aren't going anywhere...they're going to be there when you want them. Take a damn chance on something and don't be so picky, I say.

If your tastes didn't congeal between the ages of seventeen and twenty-five there must be something wrong with you! Get with the programme!
Last edited by Moleskin on 27 Feb 2018, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 27 Feb 2018, 15:51

This confirms my view that most people don't veer too much from the music of their teens, twenties and maybe early thirties. It's understandable - perhaps back then too we didn't listen to as much music as is possible and repeated plays of what we did like are to expected. I mean, I played the Stone Roses album every day for about 3 years from mid 1989. I simply cannot imagine anyone doing that now.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Feb 2018, 16:02

Count Machuki wrote:

Don't tell anyone, but there's this Jorge Ben fella who goes down a storm in these things.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 16:03

I think it's a natural thing to a large degree.

I mean look at BCBers politics ffs.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Feb 2018, 16:05

Don't bring politics into it!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Feb 2018, 16:20

It's true, I always go back to those Neil Kinnock speeches of my youth, whenever I want some absolute inspiration.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 27 Feb 2018, 16:33

I warn you not to grow old and listen to classic rock...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 16:37

I quite like Neil Kinnock - but ask me again tomorrow and it’ll be a completely different choice
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Feb 2018, 16:49

:lol: :lol: :lol:

joklend

Postby joklend » 27 Feb 2018, 18:00

I've just turned 30 so I wouldn't know a later perspective, but given that Unknown Pleasures is my only survivor from my teenage favourites (the Kraftwerk and Aphex were close but just a little bit later maybe) it does suggest some kind of re-assessment through the years. I think I've got everything out of rock music that I ever will, though.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 27 Feb 2018, 18:10

Revolver
Marquee Moon
Velvets and Nico
Please to See the King
Highway 61
Farewell Aldebaran
Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Whatevershebringswesing
Pet Sounds
Piper at the Gates of Dawn

The top five are pretty much always there, the bottom five are always in the discussion but may vary. Ask me tomorrow and, etc.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 27 Feb 2018, 19:49

joklend wrote:I've just turned 30 so I wouldn't know a later perspective, but given that Unknown Pleasures is my only survivor from my teenage favourites (the Kraftwerk and Aphex were close but just a little bit later maybe) it does suggest some kind of re-assessment through the years. I think I've got everything out of rock music that I ever will, though.

That's how I felt when I turned 30, which isn't to say I never listen to rock albums, but other genres are more exciting for me to explore.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 27 Feb 2018, 20:11

The Modernist wrote:
joklend wrote:I've just turned 30 so I wouldn't know a later perspective, but given that Unknown Pleasures is my only survivor from my teenage favourites (the Kraftwerk and Aphex were close but just a little bit later maybe) it does suggest some kind of re-assessment through the years. I think I've got everything out of rock music that I ever will, though.

That's how I felt when I turned 30, which isn't to say I never listen to rock albums, but other genres are more exciting for me to explore.

Speaking as someone who is in his early thirties I have to say that I spent a lot of my twenties listening to other esoteric underground techno and mega obscure Brazilian grooves, but have regressed to rock of late. Now I'm 33 and listen to nothing but Whitesnake and Uriah Heep.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 27 Feb 2018, 20:48

Yes I myself am about to start the Zambian leg of my African trip and I hope to find some tribes there who haven’t even heard of an ‘electric guitar’ and instead make music from seeds and fruit - how exciting that would be!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Yakety Yak”