CSNY Reunion on the cards?

Do talk back
northernsky

Re: CSNY Reunion on the cards?

Postby northernsky » 14 Dec 2017, 18:24

[quote="Charlie O”]. But I do know that Young has had to sell off much of his vintage car collection (and that was before the split with Pegi - did they divorce?), and he's spoken candidly about how the royalties don't roll in like they once did. [/quote]

I don’ t understand, seriously. But I want to. I don’t mean to derail the thread, but how financially insecure can any of these guys be? What is their expected yearly income from royalties? Why arent they saving?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 14 Dec 2017, 18:47

didn't Neil buy Daryl Hannah's "ranch" for, like, 4 million about a year ago?
that's a lot of dough.
uggy poopy doody.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Dec 2017, 18:55

northernsky wrote:[quote="Charlie O”]. But I do know that Young has had to sell off much of his vintage car collection (and that was before the split with Pegi - did they divorce?), and he's spoken candidly about how the royalties don't roll in like they once did. [/quote]

I don’ t understand, seriously. But I want to. I don’t mean to derail the thread, but how financially insecure can any of these guys be? What is their expected yearly income from royalties? Why arent they saving?[/quote]

I HAVE noticed Neil is selling off a lot of stuff... a lot of his train collection, some cars, and a lot of guitars. But the guy is a lifelong collector type; I don't think after that sale is over he's going to have NO trains to play with, NO car to drive and NO guitars to play.

Maybe he's just having one of those moments like I did when I tossed 300 VHS tapes and 20 boxes of cassettes into the garbage, "life's too short, I don't need this shit anymore." Sometimes you realize you're doing things out of habit, and its OK to develop new habits that are more suited to your life now.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 14 Dec 2017, 19:12

or maybe those things were "investments" one way or the other.
the Neil in "Mansion on the Hill" seemed pretty practical about finances.
uggy poopy doody.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Dec 2017, 19:23

He's also put a large chunk of change into Pono and LincVolt - two investments that, I'm guessing, are still a good ways off from breaking even.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Dec 2017, 20:56

Charlie O. wrote:He's also put a large chunk of change into Pono and LincVolt - two investments that, I'm guessing, are still a good ways off from breaking even.

I hadn't thought of that!

I kinda wonder if Pono did make any money. They didn't really have a revolutionary design, just the good idea to make a portable player with the codec to play high resolution FLAC files, plus some better than average hardware for audio playback. Startup cash was raised by crowdfunding and the players themselves sold out their first few runs.

I have the $100 Chinese version of the Pono( a Fiio X1), and I really like it, way better than my old mp3 players. Even if all he did was establish there is a market for high-res digital files, and players that handle them, I'm glad he did it.

I always figured he was so damn rich from his musical efforts, it didn't make a difference if those things made money or not. But venture capital is a whole different ballgame.

Well hey, now he's got book advances to fund his musical efforts! What a renaissance man.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Dec 2017, 20:58

Anyway his last solo tour in LA sold out four nights in a 3000 seat theater, with tickets priced from $75 to $400. His cost for those shows was, hire some guy to wheel a few keyboard instruments on stage and tune some guitars. I'm not too worried about him having to sell off Old Black or start working at Target.

Return to “Yakety Yak”