Ray LaMontagne

Do talk back
Osgood

Ray LaMontagne

Postby Osgood » 11 Dec 2017, 13:27

I was discussing with a friend about the 21st Century records poll that we did, and he brought a name that I was unfamiliar with, Ray LaMontagne. I haven't found any mention to him in here, so it might happen that he is not BCB acceptable.

In any case I have just checked a couple of his albums (Gossip in the Grain, a briliant mix of soul and folk, and Ouroboros, a curious but pleasant Pink Floyd's DSOTM soundalike) and they've given me a good impression of the guy.

Any followers? Recommendations?
Nobody's ferpect.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Ray LaMontagne

Postby Moleskin » 11 Dec 2017, 13:34

Yes. I like him.

He had a hit with "Trouble" from his first LP but has stayed out of the limelight a bit since. I'm especially fond of his second album, Til The Sun Turns Black, which is a late night album in a minor key.

His two most recent records have played with psychedelia, but he's doing a solo tour next year so who knows what the next album will sound like.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 11 Dec 2017, 13:41

I really like Ray Lamontagne.

And this makes me go all wobbly:

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Dec 2017, 14:30

I've got the whole bunch.

To me he seems to alternate very good albums with lesser.

I find his best is "God willin' and the creek don't rise", pure Americana.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 11 Dec 2017, 14:58

I know precisely one song by the man.

As a wedding DJ (mostly for semi-affluent millennial Caucasians), I face this song week after week during wedding season and it may have left such a negative imprint on me that I've buried everything about the guy beneath its (for me) rather discouraging shadow.

Anyhow - is there any reason for a person who finds THIS wanting to dig any further?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2017, 16:35

Moleskin wrote:Yes. I like him.

He had a hit with "Trouble" from his first LP but has stayed out of the limelight a bit since. I'm especially fond of his second album, Til The Sun Turns Black, which is a late night album in a minor key.

His two most recent records have played with psychedelia, but he's doing a solo tour next year so who knows what the next album will sound like.

He was mentioned on here for awhile. I think Daniel Lanois has produced and played on a couple of his albums. I could be wrong.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 11 Dec 2017, 16:44

Ethan Johns produced three. Jim James and Dan Auerbach one each.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Dec 2017, 17:28

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Ethan Johns produced three. Jim James and Dan Auerbach one each.

Must be thinking of someone else then, although I was pretty sure. James is an interesting choice.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 11 Dec 2017, 17:30

His last 2 albums have a very obvious blissed out sunshine Pink Floyd influence. I like them a lot.

Return to “Yakety Yak”