Defend This

Do talk back
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Defend This

Postby harvey k-tel » 08 Dec 2017, 05:12

I could've put this in the 'worst songs' thread and been done with it, but it's not the worst song, and the band is pretty hot, so, how far does that take you? Defend this:

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Charlie O.

Re: Defend This

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Dec 2017, 05:28

Neil Sedaka is hard to watch even when he isn't dressed in his Sunday-afternoon-lounging-on-the-sofa-with-a-bag-of-Fritos clothes, and the band's performance here is sluggish enough that I couldn't even make it to the first chorus.

But I bought the 45 back in '75 and played the hell out of it. I'm sure it was the clavinet that sucked me in, but Elton didn't hurt.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 08 Dec 2017, 05:33

Charlie O. wrote:...the band's performance here is sluggish enough that I couldn't even make it to the first chorus.

But I bought the 45 back in '75 and played the hell out of it.

Is the band's performance sluggish relative to the studio version you had (have?)?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Dec 2017, 05:37

It's got a good rhythm and is a bit less cheesy than NS's usual. Also the backing singers are kinda cute.

I really liked the song when it was first out. I recall NS being on a television show and picking a kid out of the audience to sing the "answer" part. It was cool! I thought so then, anyway. It wasn't until many years later that I realized it was Elton doing it on the studio version.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Dec 2017, 05:38

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:...the band's performance here is sluggish enough that I couldn't even make it to the first chorus.

But I bought the 45 back in '75 and played the hell out of it.

Is the band's performance sluggish relative to the studio version you had (have?)?

It doesn't sound too bad here:

Also, Neil Sedaka should ALWAYS be sitting at the piano. He's a good player, and he is THE WORST dancer!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 08 Dec 2017, 09:01

Yeah, he should be glued to that piano stool!

Sedaka is such a sweet man. That always comes across. I really enjoyed a documentary I saw a couple of years ago, where he's sat at a piano talking through his musical history.

I can't defend the performance in the OP tho' really. What was The Midnight Special all about anyway? They had the Dolls on, and they had the Ohio Players, and they had fluffy garbage like this...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 08 Dec 2017, 12:35

I love the original record quite a bit. I am led to believe that I may struggle a bit with the Midnight Special clip.

EDIT: Sedaka dancing in that particular outfit was displeasing enough, but...musically, the only thing I really missed was Elton.

Bad Blood, Laughter in the Rain, Love Will Keep Us Together - an impressive (and unlikely) comeback.

My own stomach for mid 70s AM Gold is probably stronger than average.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Dec 2017, 16:53

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:What was The Midnight Special all about anyway? They had the Dolls on, and they had the Ohio Players, and they had fluffy garbage like this...

It was very hit and miss like you write. And the worst thing is you had to stay up until midnight to find out if it was worth watching. It was the same with Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, which was a little bit more reliable, but that's not saying much.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 08 Dec 2017, 18:02

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Unfragrant Ox wrote:What was The Midnight Special all about anyway? They had the Dolls on, and they had the Ohio Players, and they had fluffy garbage like this...

It was very hit and miss like you write. And the worst thing is you had to stay up until midnight to find out if it was worth watching. It was the same with Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, which was a little bit more reliable, but that's not saying much.

It was one of the few weekly TV shows where you could see pop music at all, so all popular genres were trying to get air time.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Dec 2017, 18:58

I admit that It'll take about a year to forget I ever saw that clip but once I recognized the song, I must say I have fond memories of it.

I remember "In Concert" on ABC - simulcast in stereo with an unseen big, booming FM deejay announcer. "Midnight Special" on NBC was often on at the same time but was more "Variety Show" with celebrity hosts wearing bell bottoms. I dare say more people probably knew Wolfman Jack for hosting "Midnight Special" than knew he almost single-handedly changed the face of American AM radio.
uggy poopy doody.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 08 Dec 2017, 23:05

And I was hoping for a Bonzo cover.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Dec 2017, 01:39

Sneelock wrote:I dare say more people probably knew Wolfman Jack for hosting "Midnight Special" than knew he almost single-handedly changed the face of American AM radio.

In collusion with the Mexicans, of course.

Return to “Yakety Yak”