Sarah Records

Do talk back
PresMuffley

Sarah Records

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Dec 2017, 16:25

I've explored only a small amount of their catalog: Talulah Gosh, tracks by Another Sunny Day, Heavenly, The Sea Urchins, The Orchids, and several others.

Nothing I've heard has come close to being as good as this:

If you would, please post some of what you feel is the best material released by Sarah Records.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Rayge

Re: Sarah Records

Postby Rayge » 02 Dec 2017, 16:52

PresMuffley wrote:I've explored only a small amount of their catalog: Talulah Gosh, tracks by Another Sunny Day, Heavenly, The Sea Urchins, The Orchids, and several others.

If you would, please post some of what you feel is the best material released by Sarah Records.

I've got the feeling I'm the only other fan on the board, but I'm happy to be proved wrong. I was living in Bristol in the 90s, and while I never tracked down The House of Sarah, I bought loads of the early singles – fortuitously, as it happens, as I got £325 for the first two earlier this year – and a couple of albums. I really liked it – should point out I was also listening to hardcore at the time, grrr – and I also bought the sampler album and the one by the Orchids. My favourite on the label though was The Hit Parade, an act I had already latched on to in the 1980s. John Stuart Henry is just a master with the light pop song. This is a Sarah single

and an earlier one, with Cath Carroll on vocals
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Dec 2017, 17:16

Hey, thanks for posting those, Ray. I hadn't listened to the Hit Parade before. Both were cool, though not at all what I was expecting. I really dig the lounge-vibes on the second song. The first one is quite lovely, very stripped down, sparse, lo-fi aesthetic, etc. Good stuff.

I'm a bit surprised there aren't more fans of the label on this board, what with all the sad Britishers here.

Here's another I really like:

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 02 Dec 2017, 17:22

That one's ALRIGHT
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Dec 2017, 17:31

PresMuffley wrote:I'm a bit surprised there aren't more fans of the label on this board, what with all the sad Britishers here.

I have found that many of them were past their peak when these records came. And, more importantly, they look askance at any “indie” records that don’t exhibit some conspicuous flair or drama or are overtly student-y or middle class.

As for me, I didn’t have the cash to order singles from overseas sight unseen, though I’m sure I would’ve liked some of it.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Dec 2017, 17:46

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:That one's ALRIGHT

This is even MORE ALRIGHT!

It's off the Sha-La-La Flexi 5 ('87)

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Dec 2017, 17:51

Still Baron wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:I'm a bit surprised there aren't more fans of the label on this board, what with all the sad Britishers here.

I have found that many of them were past their peak when these records came. And, more importantly, they look askance at any “indie” records that don’t exhibit some conspicuous flair or drama or are overtly student-y or middle class.

I noticed a bit of this in the Cocteau Twins thread. Kinda strange to me, as is what appears to be an immense love of prog here.

As for me, I didn’t have the cash to order singles from overseas sight unseen, though I’m sure I would’ve liked some of it.

I was busy playing little league or something... that's my excuse.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Dec 2017, 18:05

I saw Brighton’s 14 Iced Bears many times - and played on the same bill. They were OK - I still have an LP.

Rob Bear got that hangdog balding jilted lover thing down pat.The story went that Nick - the Adonis-like singer with the Bears’ perennial arch enemies Blow Up ‘stole’ his girl.

Heartbreak was catnip to these Sarah bands.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 02 Dec 2017, 18:33

Still Baron wrote:

I have found that many of them were past their peak when these records came. And, more importantly, they look askance at any “indie” records that don’t exhibit some conspicuous flair or drama or are overtly student-y or middle class .

I think you're overthinking it. We probably just don't enjoy anaemic, poorly played music. I mean this stuff is like listening to a wet lettuce.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Dec 2017, 18:38

Deebank wrote:I saw Brighton’s 14 Iced Bears many times - and played on the same bill. They were OK - I still have an LP.

Rob Bear got that hangdog balding jilted lover thing down pat.The story went that Nick - the Adonis-like singer with the Bears’ perennial arch enemies Blow Up ‘stole’ his girl.

I have that 14 Iced Bears debut album on an external HD. Been a while since I gave it a listen, and honestly I've maybe played it twice in the 6 or 7 years since I downloaded it so I don't remember anything about it. But damn! What a terrible name for a band.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Dec 2017, 18:39

The Modernist wrote:
Still Baron wrote:

I have found that many of them were past their peak when these records came. And, more importantly, they look askance at any “indie” records that don’t exhibit some conspicuous flair or drama or are overtly student-y or middle class .

I think you're overthinking it. We probably just don't enjoy anaemic, poorly played music. I mean this stuff is like listening to a wet lettuce.

You would love it if it came with a leaping androgynous junkie.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Dec 2017, 18:40

Or a bogus gospel choir.

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 02 Dec 2017, 18:43

Or if Ted Weetabix plastered strings all over it
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 02 Dec 2017, 18:48

The Modernist wrote:I mean this stuff is like listening to a wet lettuce.

Some of it does leave that impression, but I refuse to believe you can't find at least a couple tracks that you enjoy. C'mon, "Emma's House" is superb . You know you want to admit it, yes...yes?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Dec 2017, 18:51

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love sent to me...
Eleven
Still Baron wrote:leaping androgynous junkie
s
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 02 Dec 2017, 18:53

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:Or if Ted Weetabix plastered strings all over it

Ooh yes! Weetabix always brings his louche pop nous to his arrangements, addsing that ineffable, perfectly balanced drama!

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 02 Dec 2017, 18:57

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:Ted Weetabix

Unfamiliar.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Dec 2017, 19:03

PresMuffley wrote:
Deebank wrote:I saw Brighton’s 14 Iced Bears many times - and played on the same bill. They were OK - I still have an LP.

I have that 14 Iced Bears debut album on an external HD. Been a while since I gave it a listen, and honestly I've maybe played it twice in the 6 or 7 years since I downloaded it so I don't remember anything about it. But damn! What a terrible name for a band.

They had a song called (I think) Take It. It went:
Take iiiiiiiiiiiit, go outside

It was about the time they all took acid in Lewes. My erstwhile bandmate Darren (later to play guitar in Brighton’s not very famous Arthur) was with them.

High times!

They were pretty limp though on record. Live they were quite muscular.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 02 Dec 2017, 19:25

Still Baron wrote:
The Unfragrant Ox wrote:Or if Ted Weetabix plastered strings all over it

Ooh yes! Weetabix always brings his louche pop nous to his arrangements, addsing that ineffable, perfectly balanced drama!

:lol:

PENK wrote:
The Unfragrant Ox wrote:Ted Weetabix

Unfamiliar.

Ted Whitney, I think. Something like that.

!!VAPRANT!!

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 02 Dec 2017, 19:27

Alf Whitfrey