38%
P
63%

Total votes: 16

Rayge

Re: P vs P

Postby Rayge » 01 Dec 2017, 09:58

Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:Never really listened to Pavement. Quite like Pulp, but what are they doing in Brighton?

In Brighton in the mid '70s judging by the (good) state of the West Pier... And this is post-Russell Senior Pulp too (so after 1997)... The plot thickens. :?

Well, it's obviously been photoshopped, of course, but why?
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Dec 2017, 10:07

Rayge wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:Never really listened to Pavement. Quite like Pulp, but what are they doing in Brighton?

In Brighton in the mid '70s judging by the (good) state of the West Pier... And this is post-Russell Senior Pulp too (so after 1997)... The plot thickens. :?

Well, it's obviously been photoshopped, of course, but why?

It looks like they might have done it the old way with a scalpel and glue. Why? indeed.
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Dec 2017, 10:17

The Different Class (and related) artwork used cuts outs of the band in various places in this Great country of ours.

I'm assuming Brighton pier was used because like, the London red bus, it's a recognisable British location.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 01 Dec 2017, 10:35

Cheers, GB. Although the pic is of the West Pier, the one Russell damaged when filming Tommy. That pic's no later than the 1970s. But as it was a publicity bod who chose it, no surprises. It wasn't meant to make sense. :-)
Or perhaps they were going for retro - that RM looks suspiciously new, so was probably 70s too.

I'll go walk the dog...
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

NMB

Postby NMB » 01 Dec 2017, 10:43

I've never seen the appeal of Pulp and I've never listened to Pavement. So I won't have a P please Bob.
turn on, tune in, nod off

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Dec 2017, 10:52

I think it could be the Palace Pier.

!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 01 Dec 2017, 12:11

Darkness_Fish wrote:"Common People" is a majestic song, but they never released anything else worth listening to.

If you like that one, I dare say you'd like at least one of these, if you'd give them half a chance:

Great band, Pulp. And there's a real emotional pull to a lot of their songs, which isn't talked about that often. Anybody trying to do this kind of thing these days is kind of sidelined, sadly.

Pavement were pretty good, too - early stuff like 'Debris Slide' and 'Box Elder' has a real spindly, catchy, Fall-like appeal. And their second album is mostly very good. But they deliberately avoided making hit singles - mostly 'cos they didn't have the talent or the balls.
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 01 Dec 2017, 12:35

Pendragon beats Pallas.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 01 Dec 2017, 12:52

Early Pavement with Gary Young on drums is definitely the best. Right up to the Watery, Domestic EP. I have a lot of great memories associated with their later work as well - Wowee Zowee, in particular - but those early singles and EPs are some of my favorite music ever. So in all fairness to Pulp, I'll vote for Pavement when pitted against any other band.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Dec 2017, 13:25

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:"Common People" is a majestic song, but they never released anything else worth listening to.

Great band, Pulp. And there's a real emotional pull to a lot of their songs, which isn't talked about that often. Anybody trying to do this kind of thing these days is kind of sidelined, sadly.

It's an important part of Pulps magic. There's real life there, humanity you know, and Cocker really brought it all to life wonderfully well. he's a very affectionate lyricist at times. He comes across as a good egg.

I mean you really feel for the lass in Lipgloss. There's an obvious sadness in her predicament but it doesn't cross over into hopelessness and musically it manages to combine this (the descending synth (?) part in the chorus) with something approaching a dignified defiance ("You've lost your lipgloss honey!) so you get that classic pop trick of up/down. Plus it's catchy, hooky and you can dance to it. Well, sorta sway and do some Jarvis Cocker hand moves anyway.

They really produced some genuine pop magic.
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 01 Dec 2017, 13:48

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:

If you like that one, I dare say you'd like at least one of these, if you'd give them half a chance:

I'll give you "Babies" (given the right lighting and a few drinks...), that really is a pretty top-notch tune.

I don't know what it is about Pulp, I'm trying to put my finger on what I find lacking. I just don't find that much of an identity to them, there doesn't seem anything particularly distinctive, where you'd hear a song for the first time, and without hearing Jarvis's voice think "that has to be Pulp".
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

fange

Postby fange » 01 Dec 2017, 14:21

Charlie O. wrote:Not really a Pulp fan, but Pavement were inexcusable.

Ouch! Why such a harsh critique, Charlie?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Dec 2017, 14:42

Pulp easily.
I like a few pavement songs but never really got that much into them.
Pulp's Different Class is a 90's gem. Love the whole album. otherwise I like a few other Pulp songs and Jarvis is a creepy but hip frontman.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Dec 2017, 14:58

The Modernist wrote:I think it could be the Palace Pier.

It's not. I lived 100 yards from both for over a decade. Palace Pier has more gubbins on the end - fair ground rides, helter skelter etc. Not to mention a big dome-shaped edifice. And the coastline behind is Shoreham, Portslade etc ... With the sun setting in the west.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 01 Dec 2017, 15:01

Lord Rother wrote:Pendragon beats Pallas.

Like Fuck!

The Sentinel is a masterpiece!*

*The Sentinel isn't a masterpiece, but still better than Pendragon!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Dec 2017, 20:18

The Unfragrant Ox wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Not really a Pulp fan

:(

I don't actually dislike them - I just wouldn't call myself a fan. When I pay attention I notice they have some good songs, but the songs are so blandly presented that I inevitably end up tuning out.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Dec 2017, 20:23

fange wrote:

I suspect that if I'd been fifteen or so when they hit, I'd've thought they were the bee's knees for a while. As it was, I found their whole condescending, smirky, too-cool-to-actually-play-or-sing-or-write-properly shtick tiresome.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Dec 2017, 20:50

Pulp took really excellent promotional photographs, I have to give it to them. And I do like the William Shatner cover of Common People quite a lot.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Dec 2017, 20:53

Charlie O. wrote:
fange wrote:

I suspect that if I'd been fifteen or so when they hit, I'd've thought they were the bee's knees for a while. As it was, I found their whole condescending, smirky, too-cool-to-actually-play-or-sing-or-write-properly shtick tiresome.

I found their shtick so tiresome so early on, I have never been able to listen to any of their music. I recall a Ben Is Dead review with pictures of their two drummers, and one of them was visibly falling asleep. If it'd not interesting enough for the drummer to stay awak while playing it, forget it.

I have it in my mind that they sound kind of like Sonic Youth but more stoney, less chaotic. Is that about right?
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 01 Dec 2017, 21:25

I must be the only one that loves both of them, then. Pulp’s blend of sleazy, articulate, knowing and compassionate art pop was exactly what was required in the early 90, the vanguard of crimplene, Formica, sharp cheekboned pop with Suede, Saint Etienne, and so on a genuine antidote to the miserable grey nihilism of grunge.

Pavement emerged seemingly fully formed as a cross between an eerily accurate Fall tribute act and a sly, angular take on the grunge scene, pleasingly clean cut in appearance and full of surprising, Anglocentric references. Their subsequent change into a much warmer, more mainstream indie proposition, pop hooks and clever, oblique lyrics, was a thing of joy to follow real time.

Both great. Abstain.