five self-titled debut albums

Do talk back

..oo..oo..

The Doors
17
35%
The Stooges
3
6%
The Ramones
7
15%
The Clash
10
21%
The Smiths
11
23%
 
Total votes: 48

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42957
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby LeBaron » 23 Nov 2017, 00:54

*fun and open field* wrote:Some real shit been spouted here today.

Quite shocking, for educated people.


Isn’t this what you wanted!?

You can’t fucking win around here!

:lol:
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42957
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby LeBaron » 23 Nov 2017, 00:58

fange wrote:Rock and Roll IS marketing!




Come down off your high horse and smell the teen spirit, Baron!


I’m one of the only people on this board that loves Rock and Roll with all my heart and absolutely zero shame!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18564
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 23 Nov 2017, 01:18

Still Baron wrote:
*fun and open field* wrote:Some real shit been spouted here today.

Quite shocking, for educated people.


Isn’t this what you wanted!?

You can’t fucking win around here!

:lol:


:lol:
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12721
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby fange » 23 Nov 2017, 01:45

Still Baron wrote:
fange wrote:Rock and Roll IS marketing!




Come down off your high horse and smell the teen spirit, Baron!


I’m one of the only people on this board that loves Rock and Roll with all my heart and absolutely zero shame!


Then you should be embrasing the image and 'selling' side of rock and roll! I think it's such an intrinsic side to its appeal, from the first Elvis LP to the 4AD stuff. Album covers can be so great.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42957
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby LeBaron » 23 Nov 2017, 02:30

OK, I like the Clash cover best.
4AD covers are mostly crap.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12721
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby fange » 23 Nov 2017, 03:23

Still Baron wrote:OK, I like the Clash cover best.
4AD covers are mostly crap.

Yeah sure, for a given value of crap. But i actually still love a fair few of them.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16893
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: forever in Peter’s thoughts

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 23 Nov 2017, 12:35

The kewl kidz next photo op

http://www.popspotsnyc.com/sandinista/
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.


User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32467
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Nov 2017, 12:39

I love album sleeves in all their vulgar, marketable glory.

I also love Coca-Cola, Nike trainers, Star Wars and the occasional Big Mac.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16893
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: forever in Peter’s thoughts

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 23 Nov 2017, 12:44

Royalist scum.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.


User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18564
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 23 Nov 2017, 12:44

Goat Boy wrote:I love album sleeves in all their vulgar, marketable glory.


HOORAY!

Goat Boy wrote:I also love Coca-Cola, Nike trainers, Star Wars and the occasional Big Mac.


BOOOOOO!!!!
Last edited by THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI on 23 Nov 2017, 12:45, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16893
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: forever in Peter’s thoughts

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 23 Nov 2017, 12:45

Establishment peon.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.


User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32467
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby Goat Boy » 23 Nov 2017, 12:51

*fun and open field* wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I love album sleeves in all their vulgar, marketable glory.


HOORAY!

Goat Boy wrote:I also love Coca-Cola, Nike trainers, Star Wars and the occasional Big Mac.


BOOOOOO!!!!



Says Mr Costa fucking coffee
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18564
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 23 Nov 2017, 13:01

Oooh no. No more
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 14556
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby Moleskin » 23 Nov 2017, 13:04

fange wrote:
Still Baron wrote:OK, I like the Clash cover best.
4AD covers are mostly crap.

Yeah sure, for a given value of crap. But i actually still love a fair few of them.


There's something to be said for a house style in record sleeves, whether its the company or the artist (the first 4 Peter Gabriel sleeves, the Pet Shop Boys use of white space and primary colours). It can be an important part of the marketing - who hasn't picked up a record because it had a cool cover to see who/what it was?
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18564
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby THE SMOOTH SOUL STYLINGS OF SUMPTUOUS SI » 14 Jan 2018, 12:00

Ramones beating Stooges is just wrong whichever way you cut it.
GoogaMooga wrote:I've been GoogaMooga everywhere since I went online in 2005. There are copycats on the web incl a Brooklyn Food Festival, who have even adopted my camel case "M".

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12721
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby fange » 14 Jan 2018, 13:48

I know you love The Stooges, but Ramones is a very special record as well. Cut it a little slack!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
nathan
submitted for your approval
Posts: 8034
Joined: 18 Nov 2003, 23:32
Location: Minneapolis
Contact:

Re: five self-titled debut albums

Postby nathan » 15 Jan 2018, 16:55

The older I get, the clearer it becomes that the Ramones made one of the finest rock and roll records ever (though I still prefer Leave Home). Easily beats every record listed. Even the Stooges, who got much much better.