Bernie Or Joe

Do talk back

Who Do You Blame For The DownFall Of The Clash.

Bernie
67%
Joe
33%

Total votes: 3

Dr Markus

Bernie Or Joe

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Nov 2017, 14:10

Watched a documentary on the Clash on the sky arts channel and while not their biggest fan I respect them enough to care. Near the end I can't really make up my mind on who was to blame. Strummer for leading the charge to get rid of Jones, or Rhodes for trying and mold them in to his own vision. I know there's the argument that they were on their last leg anyway, but which of the two compounded that more?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Bernie Or Joe

Postby The Modernist » 16 Nov 2017, 14:48

No idea as to the specifics of your question!
But I think the relationship between Jones and Strummer had broken down to some extent. Rhodes backed Strummer, as did Simonon, and so that's where the power was. You get these power dynamics in bands all the time and there's going to be winners and losers as a result. Jones was the loser in The Clash, just as the other Jones was the loser in The Stones.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 16 Nov 2017, 15:16

your friend, wikipedia wrote:Following a break after the Clash's performance at the 1983 US Festival, the band reconvened that June for rehearsals in London.[1] About a week into rehearsals, tensions present within the group throughout the year re-emerged, reportedly due to a musical difference of opinion brought about by guitarist Mick Jones's use of a synthesizer he had recently acquired. Another point of contention was Jones's frequent tardiness and absences. By that point, Jones and his songwriting partner Joe Strummer had difficulty communicating with one another; drummer Pete Howard said, "It got to the point where Joe was posting lyrics through Mick's door. He thought the music that Mick was putting to them was a pile of shit". At the same time, Jones refused to sign a new contract presented by Rhodes without taking legal advice; one Clash associate commented that Rhodes was angered by Jones's position, and "twisted Joe up about it", asking Strummer if he really wanted to be in the band with the guitarist. The rehearsals eventually ceased.[2]

In August 1983, the Clash arranged to reconvene to discuss plans for their follow-up to Combat Rock. Speaking of the tension between Strummer and himself, Jones said, "By then, our relationship was . . . bad. We weren't really communicating. The group was dissipating".[3] Not long into the new set of rehearsals, in late August or early September, Strummer and bassist Paul Simonon fired Jones from the Clash.[4]

A bit of both?
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 16 Nov 2017, 15:19

Although shortly afterwards, Mick Jones hit the ground running with BAD and had Strummer begging him to reform the Clash.
He does, I believe, have a fair bit of Clash music in his possession still waiting for the right time to release it. ie/ A 30th anniversary of London Callling

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 16 Nov 2017, 15:24

40th surely? 30 was 2009, or 2010 if you're an American.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Nov 2017, 16:02

I do remember that when Strummer and Jones got back together for... was it the third BAD album? (not gonna look it up)... Joe told Mick "You were right about Bernie."

Not that that proves anything.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Nov 2017, 16:33

It's easy to go to wiki, interested in BCB's thoughts.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 16 Nov 2017, 16:55

All three are to blame...

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 Nov 2017, 17:24

I blame society.
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 17:25

And I thought this was going to be about Bernie Leadon vs. Joe Walsh in the Eagles.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2017, 17:27

Sneelock wrote:I blame society.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 17 Nov 2017, 19:26

I thought it was, which old white guy do you want to run for president, Biden or Sanders?

It sounds like all three of them could have made a stand for cool heads prevailing... taken a vacation and come back in six months. But they were too volatile and impatient. Youth is wasted on the young.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 17 Nov 2017, 22:43

There is very little in The Clash vaults. A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found. One exception is Combat Rock, issuing the proposed (and handed-in) Rat Patrol From Fort Bragg would be ace, though I’m not sure if the masters are around.

It’s a shame that there aren’t outtakes from the Sandy Pearlman sessions.

A live series would be welcome but, again, I don’t think much was professionally recorded (much of From Here... is overdubbed) and the Sound System box was supposed to be their last word.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 19 Nov 2017, 14:23

sloopjohnc wrote:And I thought this was going to be about Bernie Leadon vs. Joe Walsh in the Eagles.

I thought it was dobro virtuoso Bernie Sanders versus horn blower Joe McCarthy.

Give me the dobro anytime.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Return to “Yakety Yak”