Will shine on for years to come
29%
Beatles did it first
No votes

Total votes: 7

Darkness_Fish

Burial - Is he still relevant?

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Nov 2017, 14:09

I guess everyone's aware that back in 2005, Burial became pretty much the non-face of British urban and dance musics with his debut EP South London Boroughs, following it up with two great albums in short notice. Critical acclaim was heaped upon him, but since 2007's Untrue he's pretty much dripped out singles and EPs at a sloth's pace, and looks unlikely to release a full-length album again.

Most of his releases still garner critical acclaim, but they've undoubtedly been of pretty patchy quality. And even his greatest fan would surely admit he has a limited sonic palette?

So what's the view? Never was great, burned brightly for a short time, or has the talent and depth to produce still?

2005:

2012:

2017:
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Burial - Is he still relevant?

Postby Moleskin » 15 Nov 2017, 14:29

There is a certain sameyness to his post-Untrue work. (arguably even to that).

I've got several of those EPs but I don't listen to them as much as I listen[ed] to Untrue. Individual track lengths probably plays a part in that as well.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Nov 2017, 14:59

I really like that new EP, but it isn't a massive change of direction. If anything it's a more basic techno thing that harks back a few years, and the B-side sounds like an early Prodigy demo tape covered in hiss, but it's better than his last few releases.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 15 Nov 2017, 15:34

I absolutely love Untrue and Kindred EP. I've also enjoyed many of his other EPS, including the most recent one Subtemple. Burial are still very much relevant and have more things to say musically, I believe. That said, I want to see another full-length album.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Oscar
Northern Taoist

Postby Oscar » 15 Nov 2017, 16:24

I think not. Untrue was one of the most important albums of the new millennium and I've followed his work since but unless he reinvents himself there isn't anywhere else to go.

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 16 Nov 2017, 04:18

Oscar wrote:I think not. Untrue was one of the most important albums of the new millennium and I've followed his work since but unless he reinvents himself there isn't anywhere else to go.

Yeah, I was listening to Untrue a couple of days ago and that record still holds up. Sure, it's partly in debt to influences like Tricky and Massive Attack, but the grooves are even sparser and more fragmented than those artists. There's an ambient quality to much of the album, which is to say that it makes for great background music while you're working. Yet there's also a sameness about much of what he does, and I don't think he's really stretched himself sonically. A shame, because he's an interesting artist for sure.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

driftin

Postby driftin » 16 Nov 2017, 08:03

Burned brightly for a short time.

I still utterly love the albums and the early EPs and I think they will age well but he had had to move on. I am glad he's no longer doing that 2-step shuffle over ambient drones and squeaky vocals anymore, but he's lost footing. He just needs to keep on expanding his sound until he's got good something again.

The two new EPs from this year, one being all ambient and the other a dense jungle and techno influenced bunch of fast percussion, were surprisingly good but also very safe territory. He should do more like Truant / Rough Sleeper which was a very promising step forward into the new.

driftin

Postby driftin » 16 Nov 2017, 20:14

I've just got back from this place

www.winstanleyhouse.co.uk

When I walked in it was playing "In McDonalds" from Untrue and carried on playing other ambient, neo-classical, trip-hop, electronic, jazzy stuff throughout the evening. It was kind of amazing. It softened the blow when the bill was revealed.

Return to “Yakety Yak”