Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Do talk back
User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11012
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby The Modernist » 10 Nov 2017, 10:52

It's amazing how grounded he comes across with very little ego, especially given how he was in a band that was regarded as excessive in every way. And it doesn't come across as a pose either. I like the guy a lot. Here's to old Percy!


User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 65218
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Nov 2017, 11:00

I know a couple of people who know him personally and they pretty much agree with what you say.

He's a big Wolves fan and regularly turns up to see them play - not in a private box, next door to every day fans.

He's known for living a pretty spartan life (doesn't sleep on a bed, apparently) and has made some very straightforward lifestyle choices.

I like Robert - I think he is a genuinely good guy.
Image

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11012
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby The Modernist » 10 Nov 2017, 11:04

Yep. I think at some point he must have consciously made the decision to reject some of the trappings of fame.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 65218
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Nov 2017, 11:17

The Modernist wrote:Yep. I think at some point he must have consciously made the decision to reject some of the trappings of fame.


Two points.. the death of his son Karac (whilst Zep were touring the US in 77) and Bonzo's death in 1980. He has alluded to this previously as fairly sharp wake up calls to curb the excesses. He was never the worst in the band (that was always Jimmy, with Bonzo catching up with him sometime around that 77 tour) but he became a much more 'sensible' person from that time onwards.
Image

Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.

User avatar
Thang-y
Posts: 999
Joined: 29 Apr 2016, 17:59
Contact:

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Thang-y » 10 Nov 2017, 11:39

Very nice, down-to-earth, still hugely enthusiastic about music. Apparently.

But he's always come across as a nice, down-to-earth bloke




Edit: Isn't it generally true that long-established top artists are more down to earth than new and up-and-coming ones who take themselves very seriously?

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 14439
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Moleskin » 10 Nov 2017, 12:25

Thang-y wrote:Edit: Isn't it generally true that long-established top artists are more down to earth than new and up-and-coming ones who take themselves very seriously?


I suspect it's more that the longer-established ones can get past the egoism that fame encourages. The up-and-coming are still trying to get to the point where they can see a long-term career - so they want everyone to know how hard they work, how seriously they take it (and so how seriously we should take them).

My counter example would be Van Morrison, who still comes across as prickly and self-important.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman
Posts: 17667
Joined: 17 Oct 2010, 14:10
Location: Unrecognized Genius, Me.

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 10 Nov 2017, 12:27

Moleskin wrote:
Thang-y wrote:Edit: Isn't it generally true that long-established top artists are more down to earth than new and up-and-coming ones who take themselves very seriously?


I suspect it's more that the longer-established ones can get past the egoism that fame encourages. The up-and-coming are still trying to get to the point where they can see a long-term career - so they want everyone to know how hard they work, how seriously they take it (and so how seriously we should take them).

My counter example would be Van Morrison, who still comes across as prickly and self-important.


Agree on Van -

he's not exactly a shining example of modesty, altruïsm, and courteousness.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 31437
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Nov 2017, 12:41

I heard he deliberately runs over hedgehogs
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world



The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17374
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Nov 2017, 12:44

I heard he steals songs
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare
hounds people off the board
Posts: 16321
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 10 Nov 2017, 12:46

I heard he wanks off tramps
Betty Denim wrote:As for Patti Smith, now there’s an insufferable cunt. The most pretentious, tedious, bag of incomprehensible self-important shit with all the charm and intelligence of Bungle from Rainbow.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 31437
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Nov 2017, 12:48

I heard he voted Tory
Copehead wrote:I have never seen anything that doesn't convince me that Joe Average people who vote Conservative are fundamentally too thick to understand the world



The Modernist wrote:Griff writes the best political posts.

User avatar
Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare
hounds people off the board
Posts: 16321
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Bumblecorn Cats Nightmare » 10 Nov 2017, 12:49

LOCK THE CUNT UP
Betty Denim wrote:As for Patti Smith, now there’s an insufferable cunt. The most pretentious, tedious, bag of incomprehensible self-important shit with all the charm and intelligence of Bungle from Rainbow.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17374
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Nov 2017, 12:49

I heard he told off Yomp for inventing punk.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3471
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Fonz » 10 Nov 2017, 14:37

The Great Defector wrote:I heard he told off Yomp for inventing punk.


:)

Dude, you’re on a roll today!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 38652
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Charlie O. » 10 Nov 2017, 15:06

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:I heard he wanks off tramps

Without their consent? Oh, his career is over.
Image

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12123
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Geezee » 10 Nov 2017, 15:35

As has been mentioned elsewhere, his latest album is also very, very good. His lyrics seem to get worse (there are some awful ones on Carving Up the World) but the music, the production, the singing, the collaborations - all work really well.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 15304
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Belle Lettre » 10 Nov 2017, 15:49

A delightful chap :D
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4632
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby NMB » 10 Nov 2017, 16:12

Charlie O. wrote:
Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:I heard he wanks off tramps

Without their consent? Oh, his career is over.


Doesn't that just mean that he's even nice to tramps?
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9857
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Samoan » 10 Nov 2017, 16:13

My friend's older sister, very pretty girl with blonde wavy hair, used to know him from time to time back in the late 70s. It was what was called an open secret in our circle and overlapping circles, maybe the neighbourhood even. They met at Blakes Hotel when he came to book in where she worked as a night receptionist: she only saw him when his football team were playing an away match against a London team and he'd come to town to watch the match.

Lovely girl, she used to keep an indoor pet rabbit.
Last edited by Samoan on 10 Nov 2017, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Darkness_Fish wrote: I picked Soft Machine, on the basis I couldn't be bothered listening to the others.

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3633
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Is Robert Plant the nicest rock star?

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 10 Nov 2017, 16:16

I'd take him out and buy him a pint. Also wouldn't bore him about Zepp either.

I keep meaning to dig out my Sixty Six to Timbuktu best of cd, haven't played in a while. Big Log is a great track.