King Crimson to release hi res version of Earthbound

Do talk back
Hugh

King Crimson to release hi res version of Earthbound

Postby Hugh » 09 Nov 2017, 16:55

This is not an April Fool.

For Immediate Release

King Crimson To Release “Earthbound - 40th Anniversary Edition” Expanded CD & DVD!

Now available for pre-order - to be released November 17, 2017

King Crimson's “Earthbound - 40th Anniversary Edition” expanded CD & DVD is now available for pre-order and wll be released on November 17, 2017! “Earthbound,” originally released in 1972, was one of the earliest (if not the first) “official bootleg” released by a major rock band, consisting of a series of deliberately lo-fi live recordings of King Crimson's “Islands” era line-up on tour in the USA. When issued, because of its mid-price it was excluded from the main album charts in the UK but topped the mid-price charts rubbing shoulders with Jim Reeves & Mantovani. Atlantic in the USA didn't even bother to release it. By then, the band had broken up and the label had already been alerted to the likelihood of a new King Crimson line-up promised for later in the year. Like the later live album, “USA,” “Earthbound” remained unavailable in the early CD era, with both finally being released in 2002 on CD. Ironically this non-availability served to enhance interest in the album while DGM's live releases made fans aware that there was a larger story to be told of this line-up's history.

When Robert Fripp was asked to guest on the second Grinderman project, Nick Cave noted: “I wanted to work with Robert Fripp because he has done some of the most uniquely unsettling guitar work I have ever heard along with some of the most delicate and finessed. I grew up listening to a lot of the King Crimson stuff. The vinyl copy of the phenomenal live album 'Earthbound,' is one of my most treasured possessions.”

Featuring:
Boz Burrell: Vocals, Bass
Robert Fripp: Guitar, Mellotron
Mel Collins: Saxes, Flute
Ian Wallace: Drums

The new version of “Earthbound” features an expanded version of the original album on CD & DVD. As a series of stereo only/low-fi recordings, a 5.1 edition was neither possible nor appropriate. However, also included on the DVD of this release is the full performance from Summit Studios, captured on the same US tour in 1972, appearing in both new stereo & quadraphonic mixes, providing the only live surround recordings of this line-up. This release also features 15 minutes of material not included on the original mail order only CD of Summit studios as issued by DGM in 2000. The DVD also features the “Schizoid Men” sequence from the “Ladies of the Road” live album & a transfer of a 1972 vinyl edition of the “Earthbound” LP.

• “Earthbound” – is the twelfth release in the acclaimed King Crimson 40th anniversary series.
• The album has been expanded ON CD & DVD
• CD features an expanded 12 track version of the original 5 track album.
• DVD features the 12 track expanded album in 24/96 hi-res stereo audio.
• DVD also features the Summit Studios performance in a new stereo mix & in quadraphonic.
This is the only surviving multi-track performance from the 1972 tour.
• DVD features the album length “Schizoid Men” sequence of edits of 21st Century Schizoid Men taken from the “Ladies of The Road” live album
• A transfer of the original vinyl album completes the audio selections.
• Presented as a 2 x digi-pack format in a slipcase with new sleeve notes by King Crimson biographer Sid Smith along with rare photos & archive material.
• Continues the highly collectable King Crimson series.

To pre-order King Crimson's “Earthbound - 40th Anniversary Edition” Expanded CD & DVD:
http://shop.schizoidshop.com/king-crims ... p1700.aspx
( Distributed via Alliance Distribution)

C
Robust

Re: King Crimson to release hi res version of Earthbound

Postby C » 09 Nov 2017, 18:20

As The Slider always says: you can't polish a turd

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

joels344

Postby joels344 » 09 Nov 2017, 19:36

Interesting. The Burrell incarnation of King Crimson is my least favorite. I’m also not exactly sure how a hi-resolution version will help the already poor quality of the recordings.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Nov 2017, 19:54

joels344 wrote:I’m also not exactly sure how a hi-resolution version will help the already poor quality of the recordings.

Nothing's gonna make it hi-fi, but this will theoretically be as good as it can sound. If I dearly loved the album, I'm sure I'd be keen on this.

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 09 Nov 2017, 20:05

Charlie O. wrote:
joels344 wrote:I’m also not exactly sure how a hi-resolution version will help the already poor quality of the recordings.

Nothing's gonna make it hi-fi, but this will theoretically be as good as it can sound. If I dearly loved the album, I'm sure I'd be keen on this.

Whats all this about?
"This is the only surviving multi-track performance from the 1972 tour."
Suggests its not the original compressed to death cassette recording
Could be interesting,depending on the quality of the multi tracks!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

joels344

Postby joels344 » 09 Nov 2017, 20:10

Charlie O. wrote:

The thing is that I don’t even like the album. But I’m glad they’re at least trying to make it sound as good as possible.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Nov 2017, 22:06

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:

Whats all this about?

That's not Earthbound, it's the Summit Studios performance from the same tour.

ConnyOlivetti

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 10 Nov 2017, 09:01

Charlie O. wrote:
ConnyOlivetti wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Nothing's gonna make it hi-fi, but this will theoretically be as good as it can sound. If I dearly loved the album, I'm sure I'd be keen on this.

Whats all this about?

That's not Earthbound, it's the Summit Studios performance from the same tour.

Ah, thanks!
Me old, sorry!

Je suis!

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 13 Nov 2017, 06:39

1 - How does rereleasing it 45 years after it came out make it a 40th Anniversary edition?

2 - There is an already existant, and brilliant, recording of this line up on that tour - though it is a compilation rather than just one show - called Ladies of the Road. Get that instead.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladies_of_the_Road
It has a second disc which is an album length edit of 21st Century Schizoid Man containing about 15 different guitar/sax solos from the tour.
It's way better than it sounds.

3 - if anyone IS daft enough to buy this, *ahem*
(to update the Complete Collection mp3 set)
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

ConnyOlivetti

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 13 Nov 2017, 07:19

The Slider wrote:1 - How does rereleasing it 45 years after it came out make it a 40th Anniversary edition?

Guess as they started with the first one in 2009, as a series of 40th Anniversary editions,
they called the rest the same :?
confusing and probably not so correct

and
Ladies of the Road is a robust set

and unfortunately
Im not daft, so you have to wait for someone else :D

Je suis!

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 13 Nov 2017, 08:12

Last time I played Earthbound I really enjoyed it. I wouldn't want to chance my arm and try it again too soon though.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 15 Nov 2017, 15:48

No way to fix the poor quality of the performances.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 19 Dec 2017, 00:29

"Huge Earthbound Fan Excited to Play It for First Time"
http://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/huge- ... irst-time/

They're talking about a video game from the 90s, not the infamous KC live album, but I still thought it was funny.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”