Setting Sons
28%
Sound Affects
24%
The Gift
3%

Total votes: 29

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Best Album by The Jam

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 13:09

While we're on the subject of the Jam, which of their LPs is best, do you think?
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

The Great Defector

Re: Best Album by The Jam

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:12

Choose sound affects, but just to mention, I think the gift is underrated.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 09 Nov 2017, 13:12

The shortest

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 13:13

For me it's Sound Affects. It seems quite experimental and modern for them, inspired by what was going on around them rather than looking backward. And frankly, it's the first one I heard, bought with Christmas money (I think) in winter 1980/81.

Should have broken up at that point really. The Gift is like a leaden, club-footed attempt at the Style Council, one or two songs aside.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:17

Moleskin wrote:
The Gift is like a leaden, club-footed attempt at the Style Council, one or two songs aside.

:(

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 13:20

The Great Defector wrote:
Moleskin wrote:
The Gift is like a leaden, club-footed attempt at the Style Council, one or two songs aside.

His idea was fine, but he was mistaken in thinking he could accomplish it with Buckler behind the kit.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 13:21

All Mod Cons for me.

In order they go: All Mod Cons, Sound Effects, Setting Sons, The Gift, In The City, This is the Modern World.

The Great Defector

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:22

Moleskin wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Moleskin wrote:

His idea was fine, but he was mistaken in thinking he could accomplish it with Buckler behind the kit.

Aye, white was a better drummer in fairness, not that Buckler was shit or anything, just not as good.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Nov 2017, 13:23

I'm hardly their biggest fan, but I really do love Sound Affects - as the peak of his entire 40+ enterprise, it does appear (to me) to stand out from the remainder by some distance (content, execution, effect).

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 13:35

And by the bye, I think pretty highly of Snap! as a career overview. Single mixes in place where they differ from the album. plus some of the best album tracks. In many ways it's all you need.

@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 13:37

Bent Fabric wrote:I'm hardly their biggest fan, but I really do love Sound Affects - as the peak of his entire 40+ enterprise, it does appear (to me) to stand out from the remainder by some distance (content, execution, effect).

The only ones that come close (for me) are 22 Dreams and Wild Wood from his solo career, and Our Favourite Shop and Cafe Bleu from the Style Council years.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Nov 2017, 13:40

With the proviso that I always saw them as a singles band, I did buy all the albums up to Sound Affects; All Mod Cons stood out for me, with In the City second.
For me, Setting Sons represented a disjunct from the previous three albums, the one where Weller got self-conscious about his songwriting, and marked, in retrospect, the end of my interest in what he produced.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

NMB

Postby NMB » 09 Nov 2017, 13:44

The Modernist wrote:All Mod Cons for me.

In order they go: All Mod Cons, Sound Effects, Setting Sons, The Gift, In The City, This is the Modern World.

Pretty much that, with a sizeable gap between All Mod Cons and the others.
turn on, tune in, nod off

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 13:44

On All Mod Cons v Sound Effects. The former is not as sonically inventive as the latter or have as much light and shade, but I'd say the songs are generally stronger. Can understand why some would go for the latter though.

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 13:45

Rayge wrote:For me, Setting Sons represented a disjunct from the previous three albums, the one where Weller got self-conscious about his songwriting, and marked, in retrospect, the end of my interest in what he produced.

The only thing worse than a concept album is a failed concept album.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 09 Nov 2017, 14:30

All Mod Cons

Sound Affects

The Gift

(I again realize how good they were. The last UK band with a story to tell?

I exaggerate. The Specials and Massive Attack belong in there too. But there's not that many.)
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Robert

Postby Robert » 09 Nov 2017, 14:48

Setting Sons for me then Sound Affects. The rest I like about equally but they are not as good as these two.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Nov 2017, 15:18

Rayge wrote:With the proviso that I always saw them as a singles band, I did buy all the albums up to Sound Affects; All Mod Cons stood out for me, with In the City second.
For me, Setting Sons represented a disjunct from the previous three albums, the one where Weller got self-conscious about his songwriting, and marked, in retrospect, the end of my interest in what he produced.

I've just played "Setting Sons" and it's obviously a progression from what proceeded it - but I think it works really well. Some of it does sound a tad 'forced' I agree, but overall it hangs together really well and has some tremendous tunes.
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 09 Nov 2017, 15:40

Moleskin wrote:
Rayge wrote:For me, Setting Sons represented a disjunct from the previous three albums, the one where Weller got self-conscious about his songwriting, and marked, in retrospect, the end of my interest in what he produced.

The only thing worse than a concept album is a failed concept album.

Ooh a Jam thread! My bread and butter (sorry).

Sound Affects was concept-ish too, perhaps – the cover with its BBC radiophonic look, and the words to That’s Entertainment, which in the first lines are among the sounds you can “see” on the cover, while the rest of the song kind of encapsulates a mood you also find in Boy About Town, Monday, Man in the Corner Shop, Pretty Green... I reckon Weller started off trying to write a song containing only sound effects but the outer sounds set off other, inner resonances and voilà. Does anyone think he’s lying when he says he wrote it in ten minutes? "Yes, he wrote it in 5" doesn't count!

I'll be back tonight to rave on a little more, probably.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Nov 2017, 16:17

They never made a totally satisfying album, but All Mod Cons and Setting Sons come about the closest. I went with the latter as I think the "sensitive stuff" like "English Rose" bogs down AMC a bit (yes, I know I'm usually one for the contrast of stuff like that). SS is by comparison more unrelenting.

I agree with Markus :o that The Gift is underrated. I remember thinking it was a good swan song, and hoping Weller would continue in that direction (which alas he didn't).

Honestly, it kind of comes down to personal taste. I can see a case for any of them, really, other than the "difficult second album."
sloopjohnc wrote:I know I picked the Diamondbacks, but they were the wildcard. Next teams will be a little tougher.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!