The Jam singles

Do talk back

Best Three Jam singles

In the City
13
10%
All Around the World
3
2%
This is the Modern World
3
2%
News of the World
0
No votes
David Watts/ 'A' Bomb in Wardour Street
3
2%
Down in the Tube Station at Midnight
20
16%
Strange Town
8
6%
When You're Young
2
2%
Eton Rifles
12
10%
Going Underground/Dreams of Children
22
18%
Start!
8
6%
Funeral Pyre
2
2%
Absolute Beginners
3
2%
Town Called Malice/Precious
17
14%
The Bitterest Pill
5
4%
Beat Surrender
4
3%
 
Total votes: 125

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9337
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

The Jam singles

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 12:44

One of the finest singles discographies out there. I've just listed the A sides (to save time as much as anything) but the b-sides were often great too and may influence your vote. I've also excluded Jam singles that charted on import, these are official UK releases only. Please choose three.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 63887
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Nov 2017, 12:48

Or not, as the case may be...
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 12:51

Probably better if Weller never existed at all really
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9337
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: The Jam singles

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 12:52

Now edited with a poll!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 63887
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Nov 2017, 12:55

Tube Station
Strange Town
Eton Rifles.


I nearly chose Funeral Pyre over Strange Town, but that early-mid period has particularly warm memories for me.
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 14222
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 12:58

I've given 'Start!' the nod on account of 'Liza Radley', one of my favourite Weller songs. Then 'Dreams of Children' and 'Absolute Beginners'.
Last edited by Moleskin on 09 Nov 2017, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
Dr. E. PLATE
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14075
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 09 Nov 2017, 12:59

Goat Boy wrote:Probably better if Weller never existed at all really


:)

I watched that Jam docu the other night and there were some scenes where he's with his old schoolboy pal sitting on a bed playing a guitar, reminiscing. I almost hate to say it but he's astonishingly stupid, really. It's amazing he managed to come up with some of these songs.

Eton Rifles, Going Underground and A Town Called Malice are the best three things there. And that's a fact.
GoogaMooga wrote:i am steeped in music history, my friend

User avatar
McBastard
Posts: 2683
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 12:11
Location: overlooking Glasgow

Re: The Jam singles

Postby McBastard » 09 Nov 2017, 13:00

Rifles, underground, start
May the Lord have mercy on Stringy Bob

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 13:01

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Probably better if Weller never existed at all really


:)

I watched that Jam docu the other night and there were some scenes where he's with his old schoolboy pal sitting on a bed playing a guitar, reminiscing. I almost hate to say it but he's astonishingly stupid, really. It's amazing he managed to come up with some of these songs.

Eton Rifles, Going Underground and A Town Called Malice are the best three things there. And that's a fact.


I don't believe a stupid person could write the lyrics, which are good at times.
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9337
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: The Jam singles

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 13:04

Diamond Dog wrote:Tube Station
Strange Town
Eton Rifles.


I nearly chose Funeral Pyre over Strange Town, but that early-mid period has particularly warm memories for me.


Similar to me Pete.
I went Strange Town, Eton Rifles and Absolute Beginners. The first two epitomise what was great about The Jam in this period (in my mind they are the follow up to each other, although in reality they sandwiched the slightly disappointing When You're Young): so many hooks that the record could barely contain them, furious energy, clever and biting lyrics. I went with the bright, irresistible optimism of 'Beat Surrender' for my third, a great way for them to bow out. Going Underground/ Dreams of Children came very close (chiefly for the enigmatic and mercurial 'Dreams of Children').

User avatar
The Great Defector
Posts: 16060
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: The Jam singles

Postby The Great Defector » 09 Nov 2017, 13:06

Only 3 out of all them? Fucking hell. I need to think about this.
Loki wrote:You Brit boys are so contentious!

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 14222
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 13:17

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:
Eton Rifles, Going Underground and A Town Called Malice are the best three things there. And that's a fact.


I like 'A Town Called Malice' quite a lot less now than I did then. Cod-Motown.
Last edited by Moleskin on 09 Nov 2017, 13:19, edited 1 time in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
Moleskin
Posts: 14222
Joined: 18 Feb 2004, 12:38
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Moleskin » 09 Nov 2017, 13:19

Goat Boy wrote:
Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Probably better if Weller never existed at all really


:)

I watched that Jam docu the other night and there were some scenes where he's with his old schoolboy pal sitting on a bed playing a guitar, reminiscing. I almost hate to say it but he's astonishingly stupid, really. It's amazing he managed to come up with some of these songs.

Eton Rifles, Going Underground and A Town Called Malice are the best three things there. And that's a fact.


I don't believe a stupid person could write the lyrics, which are good at times.


The 'at times' is important though.

I don't think he's stupid, as such, but he was writing at the limits of his articulacy.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30227
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Nov 2017, 13:21

It wouldn't be a Jam/Weller thread if Coan didn't pop up to say Weller is thick, would it?
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 3838
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Nov 2017, 13:24

Eton Rifles
Town Called Malice
Start

Could've stretched to David Watts, Going Underground and Tubestation if allowed more votes.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9337
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: The Jam singles

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 13:27

Moleskin wrote:I've given 'Start!' the nod on account of 'Liza Radley', one of my favourite Weller songs'.


On many days 'Liza Radley' is my favourite.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11168
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Rayge » 09 Nov 2017, 13:47

City, Tube Station and Underground for me. Eton Rifles always struck me as naff, with a lyric that could only have been written by someone who struggled with language.
In fact, there's not a single single I can think of that has a clever lyric, not even the three I voted for but that might be simple prejudice: I always thought of him as one step up from a chippy cretin after that interview when he got all moist about Thatcunt. Just compare his words with Lydon's. Embarrassing really. It's all about the racket on those Jam singles.
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4505
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: The Jam singles

Postby NMB » 09 Nov 2017, 13:48

Tube Station, Going Underground / Dreams of Children , and David Watts / "A" Bomb in Wardour Street. I'm pretty sure that was a double A-side as well and I'm picking it for "A" Bomb.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9337
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: The Jam singles

Postby The Modernist » 09 Nov 2017, 13:49

Rayge wrote:City, Tube Station and Underground for me. Eton Rifles always struck me as naff, with a lyric that could only have been written by someone who struggled with language.


It's one of my favourite lyrics by anyone.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 11168
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: The Jam singles

Postby Rayge » 09 Nov 2017, 13:49

The Modernist wrote:
Rayge wrote:City, Tube Station and Underground for me. Eton Rifles always struck me as naff, with a lyric that could only have been written by someone who struggled with language.


It's one of my favourite lyrics by anyone.


:|
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will