BCB's Top 100 Albums of the 21st Century - And the winner is...

Do talk back
Darkness_Fish

Re: BCB's Top 100 Albums of the 21st Century - And the winner is...

Postby Darkness_Fish » 27 Nov 2017, 09:34

German Dave wrote:Who the fuck are Coil, by the way?

Generally regarded as one of the most important and influential artists to emerge from the original industrial scene, particularly regarding their late 90s/early 00s electronics. I did write a "Beyond the BCB 130" about them ages ago, but on here it's "Ooh, they're wacky, they didn't make any Mojo top 10, lets have some more Travis."
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 27 Nov 2017, 10:04

The Modernist wrote:
Copehead wrote:.

Get out of the BCB bubble G, it isn't the real world, no one out there is buying the sort of crap that we are apparently listening to apart from you, Goat Boy and Tom Ravenscroft.

I'm quite pleased to be called some cutting edge obscurantist. It makes me sound a lot more in touch than I actually am! :lol:

:lol:

Damn I inadvertently complemented you
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 27 Nov 2017, 10:09

toomanyhatz wrote:I'd take the Beatles and Abba and maybe a couple of others from that list. Otherwise I am in the unusual position of agreeing with Hightea here. Our list at least offers a pleasant surprise or two.

And an unpleasant surprise or ten.

They are both crap, one because it is skewed by the one record a year mob, and ours because it is voted for by people affecting boredom with mainstream music because they have heard it all before.

One is obvious one is obscurantist both are not the sort of listening experience any normal person would choose and both are largely dull, but least the top sales list probably wouldn't end up with you cutting off your ears to make it stop.

NMB

Postby NMB » 27 Nov 2017, 11:05

Copehead wrote:One is obvious one is obscurantist both are not the sort of listening experience any normal person would choose and both are largely dull, but least the top sales list probably wouldn't end up with you cutting off your ears to make it stop.

Out of interest, what is a "normal" person if it isn't someone with mainstream tastes? In this context doesn't the list of best sellers define normality?
turn on, tune in, nod off

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 27 Nov 2017, 11:38

NMB wrote:
Copehead wrote:One is obvious one is obscurantist both are not the sort of listening experience any normal person would choose and both are largely dull, but least the top sales list probably wouldn't end up with you cutting off your ears to make it stop.

Out of interest, what is a "normal" person if it isn't someone with mainstream tastes? In this context doesn't the list of best sellers define normality?

Not really because it is skewed by people who buy one album a year that they see advertised at Christmas, Grannies buying inappropriate albums for their grandchildren and people who still buy Abba and Beatles albums for some reason

But there is a smattering of good, popular albums on the list like Eminem, Amy Winehouse, KoL, Rhianna, The Killers etc and I would rather listen to that album list than ours. Ours has more highs and more lows, the sales list would be like listening to daytime commercial radio, not exactly great but unlikely to make your mind turn to killing bearded hipsters weilding banjos in inventively painful ways.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Nov 2017, 14:38

The Modernist wrote: Who are these people who are still listening to The Libertines?

Well, there's me, although that probably isn't helping Copehead's cause :lol:
If I had voted, though, I would probably have gone with the second album above Up the Bracket along with two or three BSP albums, five or six by Piano Magic and a few odds and ends.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 27 Nov 2017, 20:20

German Dave wrote:Who the fuck are Coil, by the way?

:lol:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 Nov 2017, 17:25

NMB wrote:Snow – Spock’s Beard

Ooh, that's a good album.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 18 Jun 2018, 03:29

I just tried again with Blackstar.

It is utter shit from start to finish.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Jun 2018, 08:05

ORORORO wrote:I just tried again with Blackstar.

It is utter shit from start to finish.

I think it's been understandably over-rated as an album, but I think 'Lazarus' is wonderful.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Return to “Yakety Yak”