Never Mind the Bollocks turns 40 years old.

Do talk back
Robert

Re: Never Mind the Bollocks turns 40 years old.

Postby Robert » 07 Nov 2017, 16:12

I love the whole record,don't play it anymore but do click the odd youtube click.

Vacant hasn't lost any of its initial impact but seeing this clip with a bunch of BOF's sticking their finger to the camera makes me feel depressed.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 07 Nov 2017, 16:52

Footy wrote:I have some of my LP sleeves framed on my front room wall and Bollocks is amongst them. They've been there a while now so the yellowness of it has been a bit washed out by the sunlight.
In my current mood and with the exception of a few tracks, the music has also turned a bit beige.

I agree. And it should have. The patina of the years. "Beige" is a fine word.

Actually, it sits well next to my copy of "The Band", come to think of it.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Nov 2017, 18:19

The Modernist wrote:
Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:
And the reformations. Have you seen There'll Always Be An England?

Watching that video made me glad I never went to the gigs. There's something depressing about seeing old punks like that. There was also a vaguely distasteful nationalistic vibe running through the whole thing and you couldn't help notice the absence of any non-white face.
The band themselves were very good though, based on that clip. Tight and powerful, although I don't know how much post-production work went on with overdubbing and cleaning up the sound etc.

Flags, patriotic songs, skinheads (gulp)...this sorta thing always makes left wingers a bit uncomfortable which is understandable.

I think with the likes of Lydon this kind of thing has more to do with asserting working class identity and pride rather than anything more sinister mind but of course you can't celebrate these things this way and not attract bullshit (see some of the comments on youtube)
Lord Rother wrote:Missing the sublime sense of melody which David Longdon brought to the group but nonetheless a damn fine album.

Big Big Train - Goodbye To The Age of Steam

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Nov 2017, 19:52

I was at that actual show, I believe.

It never fails to amaze me how people fall for Lydon and Jones' utter bullshit about their fierce patriotism and being ENGLISH.... the pair of cunts fucked off and lived in LA for well over a decade not so long ago. Pair of twats.

However - the music was great. Just hearing to that mighty Steve Jones guitar sound was wonderful. Lydon can be funny - no question. He is also a terrible ham and prone to the most ridiculous statements imaginable. And where once there was a vitriolic attack to his voice, now he sounds like a castrated Larry The Lamb most of the time.

Still - NMTB is truly a piec e of my musical DNA and I will never tire of it.

*Cue The Bear*.
kewl klive wrote:Neil Young’s artistry is relatable, Bowie’s wasn’t.

Jack White wrote:"I sort of don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin"

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 07 Nov 2017, 19:55

I'm not sure what to make of remarks that this record is "uncool."

Maybe there is a type of person who needs to be into something different than what they think everyone else is into, just to not be into the same thing as everybody else. In that case, a person should listen to something that came out this week. There is no forty year old music that is "cool".

I think it rocks extremely hard, in a way that's distinct from every other rock record that precedes it, and there's not much cooler of a thing you can possibly do in my world.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 07 Nov 2017, 20:11

The Modernist wrote:It's probably 20 years since I last played it. I do have the vinyl gathering dust somewhere, I never felt the urge to buy it on cd. I'll occasionally listen to them on youtube, or I'll watch a documentary or something (I saw the film on McClaren the other day).

That's how I am. I don't mind listening or watching them on You Tube or assorted documentaries but I never get the urge to play their music on its own. Maybe it's because they had very little recorded output and milked it continuously? I know I listened to the first two albums of PiL way more than Bollocks.
the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

Dr. E. PLATE
hounds people off the board

Postby Dr. E. PLATE » 07 Nov 2017, 21:12

bobzilla77 wrote:Maybe there is a type of person who needs to be into something different than what they think everyone else is into, just to not be into the same thing as everybody else. In that case, a person should listen to something that came out this week. There is no forty year old music that is "cool".

It depends how you define the term but of course there are albums - just like there are clothes, films, images - that sound/look cool in 2017, and ones that very definitely are not.
GoogaMooga wrote:i am steeped in music history, my friend

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 07 Nov 2017, 21:34

I don't know , people raved and rave about the New York Dolls and they seem almost a Simon Cowell ideal of shock and awe , Johnny and the boys (for whatever reason) the mere name or an image of the Pistols caused town councils and the self proclaimed moral compasses apoplectic shock. Despite the fact I heard them on radio two the other week :? they fired up many a belly and made you feel that anger is an energy and that being young burns with a passion.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 08 Nov 2017, 00:51

Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:Maybe there is a type of person who needs to be into something different than what they think everyone else is into, just to not be into the same thing as everybody else. In that case, a person should listen to something that came out this week. There is no forty year old music that is "cool".

It depends how you define the term but of course there are albums - just like there are clothes, films, images - that sound/look cool in 2017, and ones that very definitely are not.

Eh, I guess? In a way the Pistols are the punk band everyone knows about, and maybe some people want to identify with the coolness and edginess of it without being interested in the music. It's reminiscent of 1977 but also of 1991 when everybody wanted to be dark and edgy.

But to me, any reference to it starts that album playing in my mind, and it's a great album, so anything that reminds me of it is OK with me.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Nov 2017, 05:08

Great -- I used to be uncool for not liking it; now I'm uncool for liking it!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 08 Nov 2017, 07:05

Diamond Dog wrote:I was at that actual show, I believe.

It never fails to amaze me how people fall for Lydon and Jones' utter bullshit about their fierce patriotism and being ENGLISH.... the pair of cunts fucked off and lived in LA for well over a decade not so long ago. Pair of twats.

However - the music was great. Just hearing to that mighty Steve Jones guitar sound was wonderful. Lydon can be funny - no question. He is also a terrible ham and prone to the most ridiculous statements imaginable. And where once there was a vitriolic attack to his voice, now he sounds like a castrated Larry The Lamb most of the time.

Still - NMTB is truly a piec e of my musical DNA and I will never tire of it.

*Cue The Bear*.

Re fucking off to LA
Lydon’s Autobiography gives a bit of his personal context for leaving the UK. I don’t blame him for going. He got hassle everywhere he went in England.
I think Jones had reasons for going too...
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Nov 2017, 09:28

So the guy who loves England and loves the English (presumably) couldn't live amongst them and toddled off to LA for a decade or so.

There's a flaw in the logic there somewhere.

fange

Postby fange » 08 Nov 2017, 09:33

I thought it was a good record when i was a kid, and i think it's a great record now. Not all excellent quality mind, but its best handful of songs are truly great, and its sound is still amazing.

9/10
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 08 Nov 2017, 18:18

It must be said... living in LA can be rather pleasant.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Nov 2017, 21:04

I think it's a classic rock and roll album. I doubt if anybody was setting out to make a classic rock and roll album but that's what's left as all that other stuff falls away.

It's hard to remember how abrasive it once seemed. Now I hear abrasive music while shopping for ripe melons and the world is a better place.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Nov 2017, 21:16

This thread had me planning to dig out the vinyl and give it a listen today, for the first time in at least 35 years, but then life happened, and the moment had passed. It's a bugger when that happens.
I bought it the day it came out. I liked it, but there was nothing on it as good as the first three singles on it, and I didn't much like the two post-Matlock tracks, Holidays, and Bodies. It all felt like a bit of a letdown. I hate to agree with the Bear, but I felt then that, with Matlock gone, Steve's vaguely metallic tendencies had taken over the music, to it's detriment. I actually persuaded a guy at work to try the album out because he was a metal fan, and he loved it.
It all seems a perilously long time ago, though.

Incidentally, I thought that their creative arc was later replicated by the Strokes. A succession of great singles, though each not quite as great as the one before, followed by an album containing the singles and a fair bit of filler, and then, meh
You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 08 Nov 2017, 21:37

I didn't think the sound of the album was any different to that of the singles. I just think that kind of thing is better as a short, sharp shock. It starts to get repetitive over the course of an album and its power dilates.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 08 Nov 2017, 21:52

The Modernist wrote:I didn't think the sound of the album was any different to that of the singles. I just think that kind of thing is better as a short, sharp shock. It starts to get repetitive over the course of an album and its power dilates.

It may not be, but I was talking about what I felt about it then, where my expectations might have been mediated by that was going on at the time, by reviews, and by sheer anticipation. It also makes a difference that I experienced the singles and albums – I still kind of count Swindle - in order, as they came out. And of course there's a difference in volume and dynamic range between a 7" 45 and the same track at 33 on an album, and I suspect digital versions may be different again

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Nov 2017, 10:31

Like Ray I bought all the singles and had fully been caught up in the hype re the album.

Unlike Ray (and The Bear) the album floored me completely on first listen and just got better every time I listened to it.

Oddly, that's how I remember virtually everyone else who had liked the singles being about it as well.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 09 Nov 2017, 11:23

Diamond Dog wrote:Like Ray I bought all the singles and had fully been caught up in the hype re the album.

Unlike Ray (and The Bear) the album floored me completely on first listen and just got better every time I listened to it.

Oddly, that's how I remember virtually everyone else who had liked the singles being about it as well.

How old were you in 1977, DD? Did you buy into punk as anything other than a genre of music?