Do talk back

Paul McCartney says "Wings were terrible"

he is absolutely right!
30%
he is absolutely wrong!
18%
he is both right and wrong!
52%
Paul McCartney? Wings? Drop Dead, GRANDPAW!!!
No votes

Total votes: 33

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: "Wings Were Terrible"

Postby Moleskin » 07 Nov 2017, 18:11

I'm tempted to build a playlist based on the latter-day material I listed above. No fucking Dance Tonight though.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 07 Nov 2017, 18:25

Moleskin wrote:I'm tempted to build a playlist based on the latter-day material I listed above. No fucking Dance Tonight though.

I don’t mind it. Nice sounding record. Not sure why it gets people so worked up.
The opinions of this poster are subjective. That’s how opinions work.

OCT
hounds people off the board

Postby OCT » 07 Nov 2017, 18:29

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:He’s had some strong ones in the last three decades.

80’s
Coming Up
Tug of War
Take it Away
Here Today
Wanderlust
Somebody Who Cares
So Bad
No More Lonely Nights
Good Times Coming/Feel the Sun
This One
Distractions
My Brave Face
You Want Her Too
That Day is Done

90s
Hope of Deliverance
Mistress and the Maid
The Lovers that Never Were
Young Boy
Calico Skies
Great Day
Little Willow
The Songs We Were Singing

2000s
From a Lover to a Friend
Tiny Bubble
Jenny Wren
Riding in to Vanity Fair
English Tea
A Certain Softness
You Tell Me
The End of the End
Ever Present Past

Low, low standards.

Moleskin wrote:
Carla Breakthrough-Lark wrote:

I wouldn't have included that one.

It's great.
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 07 Nov 2017, 18:45

People have a blind spot for Macca, we all know this.

I did gave Chaos and Creation a go years ago but was puzzled by the praise it received on here.
Harvey K-Tel wrote:After reading this thread all I can think is thank fuck I'm not Copehead. I can't imagine being that tedious. People would fucking hate me!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Nov 2017, 18:50

Goat Boy wrote:People have a blind spot for Macca, we all know this.

I certainly do. So much of his work is undeniably...wanting...and yet, my favorite bits are just so dear to my heart.

I did gave Chaos and Creation a go years ago but was puzzled by the praise it received on here.

To my way of thinking, that really is his "takes the mask off, shows something human" dark and melancholy old man masterpiece. To put it in terms I know you'd understand, I feel like it's his album length "Sometimes I Just Don't Know What To Feel". Things like "How Kind" or "At The Mercy" show a real "Damn, shit is sad, is it not?" depressed vulnerability that I really welcomed after the likes of, I dunno, "Freedom".

nev harp
cultural defective

Postby nev harp » 07 Nov 2017, 21:25

I really like this. Perhaps that’s where he could go next, his own (Brian Wilson presents) Smile-ish suite.
Hip Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands jive talk Someone who is with it The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't dig what it means, no one can ever tell you.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 07 Nov 2017, 21:41

The problem with McCartney/Wings is that there's always a problem. You can't just relax and enjoy the music. He's always bound to do something wrong somewhere along the way. The root of this is, because he was part of The Beatles and was able to hit a bullseye for a while, that we judge everything else by those standards. You get people like me swooning over a particular chorus because it has "it" but hating the verse. Or thinking "It would be absolutely perfect if..." rather than just enjoying it a little less.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OCT
hounds people off the board

Postby OCT » 07 Nov 2017, 21:42

kewl klive wrote:

I really like this. Perhaps that’s where he could go next, his own (Brian Wilson presents) Smile-ish suite.

I’d love to hear it. Unfortunately I think we’re more likely to get Kisses On The Bottom II
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 07 Nov 2017, 22:52

All that video was missing was Pete Docherty wandering in with a bag of heroin.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 08 Nov 2017, 20:47

:lol:

Quaco wrote:The problem with McCartney/Wings is that there's always a problem. You can't just relax and enjoy the music. He's always bound to do something wrong somewhere along the way. The root of this is, because he was part of The Beatles and was able to hit a bullseye for a while, that we judge everything else by those standards. You get people like me swooning over a particular chorus because it has "it" but hating the verse. Or thinking "It would be absolutely perfect if..." rather than just enjoying it a little less.

the last thing I expected when I started a "Wings Sucks" thread was thoughtful analysis. this place is full of surprises.

I think the main thing that needs to come up when you talk about McCartney is the man's talent. pretty early on it was pretty clear that this guy had something special going on. Exactly what that special thing is might be hard to name. Melodic sense? something like that.

there's something a little extra special about his very best stuff with and without the Beatles.his harmony lines - his bass riffs. there's something really clever and appropriate that just hits the pleasure center in my brain.

Now, like a lot of creative people, I think maybe Paul doesn't have the best sense of what his best stuff is. He's always naming songs in interviews - saying people come up to him and tell them how good they are. The way he says this gives the impression that he never for a moment doubted how good they were. Even this "wings wasn't very good" interview seems aimed more at how they played as a band than at his own songs or contributions.

If you watch "Let it Be" you can see that Paul is pretty much calling the shots on his own songs but you sense a resistance. Paul McCartney & Wings probably had a lot less resistance. I think this has been both a good & a bad thing.

he goes out on a lot of limbs. if the Beatles got sick of "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", how would they have felt about "Monkberry Moon Delight" or "Temporary Secretary'? Me, I like both those songs. I think TRYING to put the Beatles behind him - or look like he was - was really important to him. Reviewers compared "McCartney" and "Wild LIfe" unfavorably to Beatles records. he barged on. maybe it made him drink but it seems to have put a lot of wind in his sails one way or the other.

I guess what I'm saying in my stupid roundabout way is that I think McCartney's strengths are, in many ways, to be found in his weaknesses. Maybe he takes his talent for granted but maybe he does try to challenge himself by working outside his box in certain ways.
"Wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns.”

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Nov 2017, 22:30

Quaco wrote:The problem with McCartney/Wings is that there's always a problem. You can't just relax and enjoy the music. He's always bound to do something wrong somewhere along the way. The root of this is, because he was part of The Beatles and was able to hit a bullseye for a while, that we judge everything else by those standards. You get people like me swooning over a particular chorus because it has "it" but hating the verse. Or thinking "It would be absolutely perfect if..." rather than just enjoying it a little less.

I think that's pretty incisive. Fits for me, anyway.
OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.