U2 - new album

Do talk back
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

U2 - new album

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 13:33

These all sound absolutely terrible.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: U2 - new album

Postby naughty boy » 02 Nov 2017, 13:59

Awful, yeah. That last one has something, maybe.

I’d already heard the second one - think it was a single. It’s lazy rubbish.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 14:06

What do bands do at this point though? It's a weird thing because they have to release something eventually and you'll see them in interviews bigging it up and saying they are proud of it but they must know it's crap. And yet you read comments from fans and it's like "are they listening to the same thing I am?". It's this kind of collective delusion.

I dunno. I was tempted to see them on the last indoor tour, partly for sentimental reasons I admit and because I thought live they could still do something. The stage show was pretty neat too.

The last album, as bad as it was, still had some melodies you could hum. This sounds even worse.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

algroth

Postby algroth » 02 Nov 2017, 14:21

For a while I've been asking myself about whether that "You're the Best Thing About Me" song was U2's, because Bono's voice aside it sounded like something that could have been made by any other group of twats posing as a rock band today. I recall them trying to recover their old 'classic' sound a small while back, but they really just don't give a fuck nowadays, do they?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 14:31

I think they still do give a fuck – I think they always give a fuck - but the song writing well is now dry. Their attempts to sound relevant (employing every producer under the sun) are risible. The last album had a few decent melodies but it was so obviously laboured and fussed over and patchwork it felt like something that had been stuck together with digital glue. Bono has forgotten how to write a melody.

The last thing they did that showed any kind of quality was No Line On The Horizon back in 2009.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 02 Nov 2017, 15:53

They could all be B-sides from 30+ years ago. I'm sick of hearing his voice and their instrumentation.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 15:59

They really couldn't, that's the thing.

None of this is even remotely close to Three Sunrises or Walk To The Water

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Nov 2017, 16:02

I walked past a nail salon in the underground mall below the downtown office towers this morning and they had that second tune cranked. That's all I'm going to say on the matter.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Nov 2017, 16:27

"Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Fred
The house shakes, Maybe it was something I said, Ned"

"Statues fall,Democracy's flat on its back, Jack
We had it all,And what we had is not coming back, Zac".

Not lazy? Still give a fuck? Chuck.

:lol: :lol:
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 16:30

He actually rewrote the lyrics in response to Trump, that's the thing so he actually has put effort into 'em :lol:

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 02 Nov 2017, 16:36

The Irish "50 Ways To Leave Your Lover".

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Nov 2017, 16:47

Very Generic u2.
I agree sort of hard for a band like u2 to reinvent the wheel.
They have a very limited sound so it limits them to lyrics and while I believe Bono tries to stay relevant but its not in these three songs.
I do disagree that these songs could have been b-sides from long ago, they have a modern u2 sound to them and wouldn't fit the mold of any of their pre-2000 sound.

I stated that this last tour was most likely the last one for me and I've been seeing them every tour since October.
I enjoyed their last show for the stage show and playing the entire Joshua Tree but can't see me going again unless they do a boy/october whole album tour.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2017, 16:54

Goat Boy wrote:I think they still do give a fuck – I think they always give a fuck - but the song writing well is now dry. Their attempts to sound relevant (employing every producer under the sun) are risible. The last album had a few decent melodies but it was so obviously laboured and fussed over and patchwork it felt like something that had been stuck together with digital glue. Bono has forgotten how to write a melody.

That's exactly it. These are all decent pop song ideas, but the lack of a hook is apparent in all these but the vaguest sense of one in the first one. The problem is they don't even take that one anywhere beyond itself. Very standard stuff.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

joels344

Postby joels344 » 02 Nov 2017, 18:22

Horrendous. I wonder if they’ll force people with Apple products to download this one like Songs of Innocence? Probably the only way you could convince people to listen to it.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Nov 2017, 18:26

joels344 wrote:Horrendous. I wonder if they’ll force people with Apple products to download this one like Songs of Innocence? Probably the only way you could convince people to listen to it.

I have an old high school classmate and Facebook friends, a teacher and seemingly intelligent, who goes to every U2 gig on the west coast.

Unexplainable to me. It's like a piece of her frontal cortex was removed.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

joels344

Postby joels344 » 02 Nov 2017, 18:29

sloopjohnc wrote:
joels344 wrote:Horrendous. I wonder if they’ll force people with Apple products to download this one like Songs of Innocence? Probably the only way you could convince people to listen to it.

I have an old high school classmate and Facebook friends, a teacher and seemingly intelligent, who goes to every U2 gig on the west coast.

Unexplainable to me. It's like a piece of her frontal cortex was removed.

I don’t understand the appeal of U2 for anything post-The Joshua Tree. The albums which followed ranged from mediocre to straight up awful, I’m looking at you How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 02 Nov 2017, 18:32

Diamond Dog wrote:"Earthquakes always happen when you're in bed, Fred
The house shakes, Maybe it was something I said, Ned"

"Statues fall,Democracy's flat on its back, Jack
We had it all,And what we had is not coming back, Zac".

Not lazy? Still give a fuck? Chuck.

:lol: :lol:

You fucking love it!

Dad rock kings!!

Right up your street.
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 02 Nov 2017, 18:33

Take more water with it, Michael.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 02 Nov 2017, 18:53

YOU TWO

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Nov 2017, 18:57

Absolute shite! I'll probably have a listen to one or two tracks to confirm this, but at the minute, shite.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Return to “Yakety Yak”