The BCB 100 - the songs

Do talk back
OCT
hounds people off the board

Re: OY ANGE! OY G!

Postby OCT » 18 Dec 2017, 23:09

Cogan!
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Dec 2017, 23:31

The Modernist wrote:There are other posters who have signed up you know.
You should be hassling Ray!

I'm ill, and halfway through something quite long.
Meanwhile, you still haven't picked up the PM I sent or set up the sub-forum for Beyond the 130.
Get a grip.
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

fange

Postby fange » 19 Dec 2017, 01:08

BCB's 100 songs

AC/DC - 'Whole Lotta Rosie'

Where do you start with a song that is a landmark hard rock recording, that probably has just as many sneering critics as adoring fans? In the case of 'Whole Lotta Rosie', you should just start with the subject of fucking. Because the song isn't just about fucking literally - it's about fucking on several other levels as well.

In late '76 and early '77, when AC/DC learned that their US record label, Atlantic, wasn't going to release their Dirty Deeds... LP and was in fact thinking of dropping them, the band's immediate reaction was very simple - fuck you, Atlantic. The record bosses wanted them to be more punk, more glammy, more AOR, more something that the band wasn't. And the answer they got back was a very emphatic "no" in the shape of the Let There Be Rock LP; as dirty, raw, vicious, uncompromising and downright glorious a hard rock record as has ever been produced. The band knew they had the goods to be one of the greatest rock and roll bands to ever hit a stage, and they decided to put that down on record, slamming it right into the execs and all their critics' faces.

And 'Rosie' is one of the album's high-water marks - 5 minutes and 24 seconds of pure rock and roll energy from go to whoa. You can hear it in the first few seconds of that thundering, Bo Diddley inspired intro. When the band pause, you can still hear the electric hum of the guitars, and the echoes of the pounding the drums just got are still dying as the sound waves finish bouncing around the recording studio. It's like you are standing there, right there in the room with them. This was a band that was already road-hardened by years of playing the grueling Aussie pubs and clubs circuits, where you played hard, and with real feeling, or you got eaten alive. Thankfully, playing unadulterated rock and roll hard and with feeling was AC/DC whole reason for being. And on 'Rosie', they were in the mood to show off.

Most people know the story of the real Rosie now, the 19-stone carnal heroine of the song, and if you don't all you need to do is google it. The song is a paean to sex and lust and letting it all hang out, in every sense. The topic isn't subtle, but then that was never rock and roll's purpose. Here for a good time, not a long time - that was/is rock and roll's credo, and the band let loose with everything they had in their armoury. The call-and-response section at 2:52, that shows just how tight they could be; Malcolm's tremendous execution of that riff over and over again in the background, as Angus goes crazy in the section from the 4:00 mark; the white-hot electric feel of the entire song, with absolutely no production polish and varnishing, as every string squeal, feedback hum, equipment tap, is captured live and for posterity. It's saying "This is us. We play rock and roll, and were fucking great at it. If you don't like it, fuck off."

Even if i didn't love the song, i could respect that mightily.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

OCT

Postby OCT » 19 Dec 2017, 01:47

Great stuff, Ange!

You should put it in a separate thread of its own...
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

fange

Postby fange » 19 Dec 2017, 02:32

Separate threads? ok.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Darkness_Fish

He wouldn't let it lie

Postby Darkness_Fish » 23 Dec 2017, 16:15

C'mon, there have been three threads, where's the rest?
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

OCT

Postby OCT » 23 Dec 2017, 22:57

I'm certainly not chasing any of them up.

People are full of good intentions and then - nothing. It's a shame really but fairly typical of the laziness and apathy that characterises this part of the board these days.

Toby
Arsehole all Erect

Postby Toby » 23 Dec 2017, 22:58

I'll do one over xmas...maybe

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 23 Dec 2017, 23:05

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:I'm certainly not chasing any of them up.

People are full of good intentions and then - nothing. It's a shame really but fairly typical of the laziness and apathy that characterises this part of the board these days.

Well most people are a little busy at this time of year...

Not me though, I'll happily do another one Can witter on at length about any of these
Misunderstood - I Can Take You to the Sun
Jan & Dean - Dead Man's Curve or AA&CSCBR&TA
Proper soul music - Ben E King, maybe. Irma Thomas? Dee Dee Warwick?
Drifters - Up on the Roof
Mercury Rev - Empire State
J Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers - Last Kiss

Somebody, anybody, make a suggestion of one of these or one of the others mentioned earlier and I'll cook something up.

Merry Xmas John
KAT/COYS

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

OCT

Postby OCT » 23 Dec 2017, 23:13

And the same to you Ray x

K

Postby K » 23 Dec 2017, 23:14

YOU BLOODY STUPID PAIR OF BUGGERS wrote:I'm certainly not chasing any of them up.

You're a fucking idiot sometimes, John. Most people are pretty damn busy, they're not all on the Preston to Carlisle train hoping to take a month off to write that book. People have jobs, lives, families and to do this properly and do it justice takes time, takes thinking, takes care.
Any "laziness and apathy" I've had towards the board over the last few years is down to the two factors of being incredibly busy and not wanting to post on the same board as people like you.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
REDACTED, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

K

Postby K » 23 Dec 2017, 23:15

Rayge wrote:

Well most people are a little busy at this time of year...

Not me though, I'll happily do another one Can witter on at length about any of these
Misunderstood - I Can Take You to the Sun
Jan & Dean - Dead Man's Curve or AA&CSCBR&TA
Proper soul music - Ben E King, maybe. Irma Thomas? Dee Dee Warwick?
Drifters - Up on the Roof
Mercury Rev - Empire State
J Frank Wilson & the Cavaliers - Last Kiss

Somebody, anybody, make a suggestion of one of these or one of the others mentioned earlier and I'll cook something up.

Merry Xmas John

Up on the roof. Just don't imbibe it with laziness and apathy.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
REDACTED, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

OCT

Postby OCT » 23 Dec 2017, 23:22

Darryl Strawberry wrote:

You're a fucking idiot sometimes, John. Most people are pretty damn busy, they're not all on the Preston to Carlisle train hoping to take a month off to write that book. People have jobs, lives, families and to do this properly and do it justice takes time, takes thinking, takes care.
Any "laziness and apathy" I've had towards the board over the last few years is down to the two factors of being incredibly busy and not wanting to post on the same board as people like you.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 24 Dec 2017, 11:23

Well I've done my bit.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Dec 2017, 20:41

I wasn't being hectoring here, I only wanted to ensure it carried forth. I'll write another soon, and it probably won't have all the sentimental nonsense behind it, either, I'll have to write something about the song.

fange

Postby fange » 25 Dec 2017, 02:33

So which Chi-Lites tune are you doing?
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 25 Dec 2017, 18:49

Wait. We have to write about something with a tune? I'm out.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 25 Dec 2017, 23:13

Alma Cogent wrote:
Darryl Strawberry wrote:

Merry Fucking Christmas!

Anyway, I do want to do it properly and am pretty ridiculously busy these days. But I'll get on it in the next couple days.

(At least one, maybe more.)
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

fange

Postby fange » 26 Dec 2017, 11:13

Darkness_Fish wrote:Wait. We have to write about something with a tune? I'm out.

Dammit, got me on a technicality. :x
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Positive Passion

Re: The BCB 100 - the songs

Postby Positive Passion » 28 Dec 2017, 14:45

In a little while i can give you a joan armatrading song, something by destiny's child, and a taylor swift classic.
And a bunch of other stuff.