Prog Synch Listen: Hatfield and the North - In Memoriam for Phil Miller - Friday 20th Oct @ 9pm

Do talk back
zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Hatfield and the North - In Memoriam for Phil Miller - Friday 20th Oct @ 9pm

Postby zoomboogity » 20 Oct 2017, 23:02

I just woke up from a nap. Glad you all enjoyed the album. Between this and The Rotters' Club, if you like one, you'll like the other.

The compilation Snarf posted, Afters, includes extra material not included on the albums, but all of it now appears as bonus tracks on the two CDs.

Also highly recommended are two archival releases from Burning Shed, Hatwise Choice and Hattitude.

There is one track from the Virgin VA comp V which has yet to be re-released, as well as several radio broadcasts which weren't included on the archival releases. There's also a 1990 reunion TV special, which is sort of the weak link, yet there was a three-song medley which didn't make the final cut: two Phil Miller songs from Matching Mole's Little Red Record (God Song, Nan True's Hole), and a wonderful rendition of a new Richard Sinclair song called Keep On Caring (eventually released on Richard Sinclair's Caravan Of Dreams). I've compiled all these odds'n'ends onto one disc. Cough if you must.

I've always thought of Hatfield as one of those perfect bands that came storming out the gate, did two perfect albums, then split (mostly for lack of finances). I used to wish they'd done more, but there's something to be said for the graceful exit.

I'll leave you with this:

"Quite."

Hightea

Re: Prog Synch Listen: Hatfield and the North - In Memoriam for Phil Miller - Friday 20th Oct @ 9pm

Postby Hightea » 21 Oct 2017, 02:04

zoomboogity wrote:
Cool photo, Hightea, I just sent the link to the Sinclairs.

8-)

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 21 Oct 2017, 04:05

zoomboogity wrote:
I'll leave you with this:

amazing the four of them are just perfectly together. You can see the early Phil Miller faces I think when I saw him in 2006 he was even more wild with his faces. Remember the tongue out a bit like he was biting it. :lol: I would have loved to see David Stewart.

Sorry missed it today was way to busy at work. However, making it up now as I'll listening to the album on Vinyl. Note someone asked about "The Rotters' Club " - I actually got them both the same day for .99 cents. My friend bought one and I bought the other. We then went to my house to listen to them and he left the album at my house he never got it back. :lol: Yes I still have it! If you like one you will like the other.

The album -
Nice opening for Mr Stewart and then Pip drops in. I love Phil Miller's jazzy tone really fits Stewart. Richard and Barbara have such soothing vocals not sure it could work in today's world but I love it. Wyatt vocals on track 4 is nice too.

love the titles
"Lobster in Cleavage Probe"

check out Phil Miller talking to himself at about 8:55-Matching Mole let alone crazy wyatt.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 21 Oct 2017, 06:02

Zoomy:
I forgot about that 1990 TV appearance. The visual element is abysmal, agonizing.

And yeah, those Hatwise things are amazing companion pieces. Lot of fun to listen to.

High tea:
Did we talk about the song titles? (I missed the listen/thread.) Quaco said he didn't like them one time, but otherwise I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone weigh in on them. I love them.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 21 Oct 2017, 12:31

i love them too. Gigantic Land-Crabs In Earth Takeover Bid certainly fits that song! Some of the others look like a list Coan would come up with:

The Stubbs Effect
The Other Stubbs Effect
Big Jobs (Poo Poo Extract)
Going Up To People And Tinkling
Son Of 'There's No Place Like Homerton'"
Big Jobs No. 2 (By Poo And The Wee Wees)
Lobster In Cleavage Probe
Let's Eat (Real Soon)
Fitter Stoke Has A Bath
Lounging There Trying
(Big) John Wayne Socks Psychology On The Jaw
Chaos At The Greasy Spoon
The Yes No Interlude
Underdub
Your Majesty Is Like A Cream Donut (Quiet)
Your Majesty Is Like A Cream Donut (Loud)

The alternate titles on the Burning Shed releases are pretty good too. I never knew that Nan True's Hole was an anagram for Ethanol Nurse before reading the booklet.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 25 Oct 2017, 14:52

zoomboogity wrote:i love them too.

I never knew that Nan True's Hole was an anagram for Ethanol Nurse before reading the booklet.

:lol: I never knew that. :lol:

joels344

Postby joels344 » 26 Oct 2017, 00:33

Apologies for missing the synch listen. Their debut is a top class album from the Canterbury scene. Also, belated RIP to progressive rock legend, Phil Miller. He was a brilliant and under appreciated guitarist from the genre.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 26 Oct 2017, 05:54

Hightea wrote:
zoomboogity wrote:i love them too.

I never knew that Nan True's Hole was an anagram for Ethanol Nurse before reading the booklet.

:lol: I never knew that. :lol:

News to me too. :)
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “Yakety Yak”