In the Evening
2%

Total votes: 44

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Re: Best Led Zep LP opener

Postby Count Machuki » 11 Oct 2017, 18:16

Diamond Dog wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Definitely GTBT, which also has the benefit of being a "soundcheck song" like 'Hello' by Cheap Trick or maybe 'Can't Explain'
You know, where the instruments fire up one by one, the sound guy can get the levels right, the band can hear how the mix is, etc.

course, now I say that I see Pete has confirmed that this was never a set opener, but it's sure a great career opener!

It was once.... at the O2 in 07.

I went - were you aware of this?

:)

Do tell!
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Covers Cup Champion 2017

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 18:24

Canis lupus wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Good points. I always thought the Ocean would've been a good opener for Houses of the Holy.

Oh no, no way

Why not? I'd admit that it kinda falls in the same category as When the Levee Breaks for me and is better to end a side, but Houses of the Holy is strong on slower songs and not as much on rockers. I say front load it. What are you competing against? Dy'er Maker? Dancing Days?

Come to think of it, Dancing Days might've been good. Kinda leads with a mood.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2017, 18:24

Count Machuki wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:Definitely GTBT, which also has the benefit of being a "soundcheck song" like 'Hello' by Cheap Trick or maybe 'Can't Explain'
You know, where the instruments fire up one by one, the sound guy can get the levels right, the band can hear how the mix is, etc.

course, now I say that I see Pete has confirmed that this was never a set opener, but it's sure a great career opener!

It was once.... at the O2 in 07.

I went - were you aware of this?

:)

Do tell!

If you were at a jolly up, that's four hours of your life you'd never get back.

The monologue would be longer than the concert.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 11 Oct 2017, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Oct 2017, 18:29

Boys..... :lol:
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Oct 2017, 08:10

sloopjohnc wrote:
Canis lupus wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Good points. I always thought the Ocean would've been a good opener for Houses of the Holy.

Oh no, no way

Why not? I'd admit that it kinda falls in the same category as When the Levee Breaks for me and is better to end a side, but Houses of the Holy is strong on slower songs and not as much on rockers. I say front load it. What are you competing against? Dy'er Maker? Dancing Days?

Because the killer with "The Ocean" is the outro.... hence it being in the correct place as the closer on side two.
In science, the most important criteria for success is not being stunningly full of shit.

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 12 Oct 2017, 09:57

sloopjohnc wrote: I always thought the Ocean would've been a good opener for Houses of the Holy.

Diamond Dog wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:
Canis lupus wrote:
Oh no, no way

Because the killer with "The Ocean" is the outro.... hence it being in the correct place as the closer on side two.

2-3 years ago somebody (Matt or Yompy, i think ) said they should've opened with "The Crunge"

...bit of a curve ball that (said so at the time n all)

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 12 Oct 2017, 15:11

The Song Remains the Same followed closely by Achilles Last Stand