89%
no
11%

Total votes: 9

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: James Brown

Postby fange » 12 Mar 2018, 00:49

Well, i'm never gonna change your mind Ray, but i've still gotta put in my 2 cents to say how great i think a lot of Brown's post-'66 music was.

If "The Funk" is not your thing, that's fine, but the power and singularity of some of his music during this period mustn't be forgotten.

Nobody sounded like him and his bands, no matter how much they tried, and a lot of it was down to the guys he had in his groups - Pee Wee Ellis, Maceo Parker, Jimmy Nolen, Bobby Byrd, Johnny Grimes, Fred Wesley, Clyde Stubblefield, Bernard Purdie, Bootsy Collins etc, it's like a who's fucking who of some of the best players of the period. And him producing and directing it.

It's not all about the songwriting in the traditional sense here, it's more about that special sound that he and his groups pretty much nailed on some of the hottest singles made in the late-60s and into the '70s. That's where the magic is.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 12 Mar 2018, 09:18

I like him but in small doses. There’s something airless about his music, relentlessly frantic, as unyielding as Nancarrow, as funky as rickets.

Too much music.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Mar 2018, 10:06

I don't feel that at all about the records. I think there is plenty space for those things to breathe.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 12 Mar 2018, 10:19

I get the criticism. The funk stuff is hard work, in some ways. It’s tiring.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Mar 2018, 10:21

So's sex
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Mar 2018, 10:30

I definitely understand the 'frantic' label, but most of the songs have their own inner release valve in the form of the bridges or instrumental breaks every couple of minutes.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Mar 2018, 13:15

Living In America is aces.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

mission

Postby mission » 12 Mar 2018, 13:17

Frantic schmantic.

This music is clean. This music is pure. This music is elemental. It pulses and weaves around a rocksolid core of fuckitudunality.

I should, for the record, state that I am a drummer and there is a way of hearing that we drummists have that is denied those who do not approach music by tapping and smacking and waltzing upon the one.

I have spent entire days of my life with Volume 6 of the singles (1969-1970) on repeat. And I will again. This shit is the shit - it's Godhead.

Melodies are created in different ways than you fucking hippies like them to be. It is via accretion and interplay. It is the work of the bass, slipping and shimmying all through the tunes like the pulse in your adolescent cock.

But you are there for the rhythms, rhythms hewn from chickenscratch guitar, hihats like God's clock and the snares - the snares, my droogs, they snap and pop like the spinning lights wheeling on the back of your eyelids the first night you spent drunk and cranked on biker speed, throwing yourself back against the wall when you stepped out of the club into the clean, cold, night air and shut your eyes momentarily because you were too happy and loose and things were teetering on the edge of being too much.

And then you have Mr Brown, just willing it all along - stopping his fucking horniness every now and then to be one of the more quotable lyricists in recorded music. At least, around my way.

My four children all know exactly what is to happen when I tell them to hit it and quit it. Everyone I have ever worked with knows ain't nothing going on but the rent. Goot Gawd. Filthy McNasty.
Goodness gracious me.