James Brown

Do talk back

?

yes
8
89%
no
1
11%
 
Total votes: 9

User avatar
Dr. Markus
Posts: 159
Joined: 04 Jan 2017, 20:22

James Brown

Postby Dr. Markus » 08 Oct 2017, 11:56

good?
Last edited by Dr. Markus on 06 Feb 2018, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17973
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: James Brown

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 05 Feb 2018, 20:57

oh yeah
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6769
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: James Brown

Postby jimboo » 05 Feb 2018, 22:58

The sound of someone choking out of time to a bar mitzvah for hire funk tribute act , constantly pray that someone will perform the Heimlich manoeuvre ending the misery , unlistenable.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46817
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: James Brown

Postby Quaco » 06 Feb 2018, 03:00

Sure, he's good.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17973
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: James Brown

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 08 Feb 2018, 08:32

Like the bricks you use to build your house - essential but hardly worth talking about.

Or so it seems
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17973
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: James Brown

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 11 Mar 2018, 01:02

Yep.

Not prog enough.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29433
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: James Brown

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Mar 2018, 01:04

Maybe if he played a flute...
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46817
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: James Brown

Postby Quaco » 11 Mar 2018, 02:31

Why don't YOU guys talk about him then!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 20814
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: James Brown

Postby Muskrat » 11 Mar 2018, 04:47

I personally prefer the pre-funk years, but I'm surprised there's a question.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13016
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: James Brown

Postby Rayge » 11 Mar 2018, 13:25

He was a great soul singer who traded his talent in for funk gold. His stage act (nb not the music but all the fucking acting - almost as embarrassing as Jim Morrison) was shit, and his conk and pomp hairdo was ridiculous.
He made the odd interesting record after he sold out - King Heroin for instance - but if you're not a fan of strict tempo dance, there's nothing to him but what jimboo said above. And if he's going to set himself up as a spokesperson for his people, lay off the PCP, coke and wife-beating, yeah?
I've written all this before, many dozens of time on here and elsewhere, and I bet anyone reading this has glazed over if they got as far as this paragraph, and that's why he's not got many of us writing about him. All we've got is our entrenched positions. Nothing's going to change.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 16776
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: forever in Peter’s thoughts

Re: James Brown

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 11 Mar 2018, 13:28

I can’t agree with you about the pompadour, magnificent do.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.


User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13016
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: James Brown

Postby Rayge » 11 Mar 2018, 14:22

nev gash wrote:I can’t agree with you about the pompadour, magnificent do.


it looked great on Little Richard (and especially Esquerita, see below) in the ’50s, but by the mid-’60s it got to have political implications, which is why he switched to an Afro, eventually. I know more about African-American hairdressing than I really want to, because it was such a big deal culturally when I was working on my doctoral thesis (the one I abandoned) about African-American literature

Image
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17973
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: James Brown

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 11 Mar 2018, 14:37

oh STOP IT
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13016
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: James Brown

Postby Rayge » 11 Mar 2018, 14:47

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:oh STOP IT

Posting in general, talking about hairdos, posting pics of Esquerita, mentioning my doctoral thesis, doing all this in a thread about James Brown, or having and sharing opinions about canonistas that don't conform :D ?
I'm glad to comply with all but the first and last, although I am willing to discuss those if considerable sums of hush puppies money are involved.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32252
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: James Brown

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Mar 2018, 14:49

Supporting Copehead was bad enough but this is BCB unforgivable.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17973
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: James Brown

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 11 Mar 2018, 15:02

It really is.

JB is one of a very small number of artists whose achievements in music border on superhuman. I'm in awe of what he did. It's ridiculous.

Phenomenal bands, too, of course. But what a voice! what vision! what presence!
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32252
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: James Brown

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Mar 2018, 15:39

We've talked about this stuff before but just watch the first 8 minutes of this at least and make sure you turn it up loud.



It's truly phenomenal. Such power! He's like a funk shaman! There's something so primal about the music yet sophisticated too. It's so far beyond most artists it's not even funny.

But hey....

The sound of someone choking out of time to a bar mitzvah for hire funk tribute act , constantly pray that someone will perform the Heimlich manoeuvre ending the misery , unlistenable.


Which is kinda funny but also so hopelessly off beam
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 13016
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: deepest Devon
Contact:

Re: James Brown

Postby Rayge » 11 Mar 2018, 16:11

Goat Boy wrote:Supporting Copehead was bad enough but this is BCB unforgivable.


THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:It really is.
JB is one of a very small number of artists whose achievements in music border on superhuman. I'm in awe of what he did. It's ridiculous.
Phenomenal bands, too, of course. But what a voice! what vision! what presence!


Meh. I speak as I find as far as Copehead goes, but as to the rest, I'm hoping that neither of you were knitted-brow serious, but I'll explain myself one more weary time (regular readers can look away now).

Here, now, I don't really give a shit about James Brown or his music either way, but I used to, both ways. I was fairly passionate about him and it in the ’60s, owned a lot of it on record, had opinions about it and him that changed over the decade. Now I'm someone for whom music is no longer anything like as important as it was, but as you, John, have pointed out on several occasions, that can get old pretty quickly in a music-based forum.

But I do love to fill my days - at least, the gaps between bongs and dog walks - with creative things such as photos, cooking, gardening and especially writing. That was my first love, it was my job, I got good at it and, as a firm believer in the apothegm 'Use it or lose it,' I like to write stuff every day, just for the sake of it, and a forum such as this is a great place to indulge that. I'm sure you're both with me on this; you, John, are always pleaing for new things to read or listen to, trying to stimulate talk on music, heating things up, while you, Dougie, are one of the very finest writers on here when you're talking about things you love (and you happen to love I'll Never Need More than This, which cancels out legions of minor misdemeanours against taste in my eyes ;) ).

So, given the basically disinterested and unimpassioned nature of my current life in music, when artists from my youthful less old years (up to about 1985 or so), when I cared, are concerned, I can write more entertainingly and amusingly (even if it is only I and one or two others who are entertained and amused) if I riff on my memories of how I felt back then. But I've already done this schtick several times re James Brown (who made indubitably made some great records and some rather unpleasant ones, although we may disagree which ones fit in which category, and was both a mesmerising presence and a right old ham on stage) on this Forum, as Machucki, for one, will eye-rollingly testify: which was the point of my original post on this thread.

It was only gash encouraging me by praising haircuts that made me elaborate – Now look what he made me do...

Ray
XX
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
George P. Smackers
Posts: 185
Joined: 11 Jun 2017, 23:18

Re: James Brown

Postby George P. Smackers » 11 Mar 2018, 16:16

THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:It really is.

JB is one of a very small number of artists whose achievements in music border on superhuman. I'm in awe of what he did. It's ridiculous.

Phenomenal bands, too, of course. But what a voice! what vision! what presence!


Agree and I'd have to go down a long and lonely road of if/then arguments with myself and aborted dissertations about African American hair to think otherwise.

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 17973
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: James Brown

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 11 Mar 2018, 17:45

Rayge wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Supporting Copehead was bad enough but this is BCB unforgivable.


THE NIGHT BEAK wrote:It really is.
JB is one of a very small number of artists whose achievements in music border on superhuman. I'm in awe of what he did. It's ridiculous.
Phenomenal bands, too, of course. But what a voice! what vision! what presence!


Meh. I speak as I find as far as Copehead goes, but as to the rest, I'm hoping that neither of you were knitted-brow serious, but I'll explain myself one more weary time (regular readers can look away now).

Here, now, I don't really give a shit about James Brown or his music either way, but I used to, both ways. I was fairly passionate about him and it in the ’60s, owned a lot of it on record, had opinions about it and him that changed over the decade. Now I'm someone for whom music is no longer anything like as important as it was, but as you, John, have pointed out on several occasions, that can get old pretty quickly in a music-based forum.

But I do love to fill my days - at least, the gaps between bongs and dog walks - with creative things such as photos, cooking, gardening and especially writing. That was my first love, it was my job, I got good at it and, as a firm believer in the apothegm 'Use it or lose it,' I like to write stuff every day, just for the sake of it, and a forum such as this is a great place to indulge that. I'm sure you're both with me on this; you, John, are always pleaing for new things to read or listen to, trying to stimulate talk on music, heating things up, while you, Dougie, are one of the very finest writers on here when you're talking about things you love (and you happen to love I'll Never Need More than This, which cancels out legions of minor misdemeanours against taste in my eyes ;) ).

So, given the basically disinterested and unimpassioned nature of my current life in music, when artists from my youthful less old years (up to about 1985 or so), when I cared, are concerned, I can write more entertainingly and amusingly (even if it is only I and one or two others who are entertained and amused) if I riff on my memories of how I felt back then. But I've already done this schtick several times re James Brown (who made indubitably made some great records and some rather unpleasant ones, although we may disagree which ones fit in which category, and was both a mesmerising presence and a right old ham on stage) on this Forum, as Machucki, for one, will eye-rollingly testify: which was the point of my original post on this thread.

It was only gash encouraging me by praising haircuts that made me elaborate – Now look what he made me do...

Ray
XX


You're a gem, Ray x
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.