78%
no
22%

Total votes: 9

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Talking Heads

Postby The Modernist » 09 Feb 2018, 12:11

They were great for five albums. BCB underrated.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 09 Feb 2018, 17:20

trans-chigley express wrote:**1/2 on the TCE scale. Worthy of further investigation. I only have Stop Making Sense which I like but never investigated further. The fact that Remains In Light seems to divide opinion so much suggests should I give that one a go.

If I recall correctly, Stop Making Sense is made mostly out of songs from Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues.
Nobody's ferpect.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 09 Feb 2018, 17:30

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 09 Feb 2018, 19:18

Osgood wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:**1/2 on the TCE scale. Worthy of further investigation. I only have Stop Making Sense which I like but never investigated further. The fact that Remains In Light seems to divide opinion so much suggests should I give that one a go.

If I recall correctly, Stop Making Sense is made mostly out of songs from Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues.

The soundtrack LP for SMS only has Once In A Lifetime from RiL. Almost all of the songs are from Speaking In Tongues, a reasonable choice since they had just made a double live album a couple years earlier with lots of RiL material.
Jimbo wrote:The Natural Times said no matter, essentially we are all doomed.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 09 Feb 2018, 20:53

bobzilla77 wrote:
Osgood wrote:

The soundtrack LP for SMS only has Once In A Lifetime from RiL. Almost all of the songs are from Speaking In Tongues, a reasonable choice since they had just made a double live album a couple years earlier with lots of RiL material.

Of course, you're right, I had it mixed in my head with the second disc on The Name of The Band Is Taking Heads.
Nobody's ferpect.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 09 Feb 2018, 23:33

I think I like the RiL stuff live better. I was just listening to Name Of This Band, and the Great Curve/ Crosseyed & Painless just cook. Although the studio version of Once In A Lifetime is a production masterpiece.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Feb 2018, 23:37

Osgood wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:
Osgood wrote:If I recall correctly, Stop Making Sense is made mostly out of songs from Remain in Light and Speaking in Tongues.

Of course, you're right, I had it mixed in my head with the second disc on The Name of The Band Is Taking Heads.

My version of SMS has lots of extra tracks not on the LP. No idea what albums they came from though, I’ll have to check

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 09 Feb 2018, 23:52

If you have the "complete movie" version of Stop Making Sense, then it would include Crosseyed & Painless as one of the final numbers. But I think that is the only other Remain in Light track on it, besides Once in a Lifetime.

It does include Big Business and What A Day That Was from The Catherine Wheel.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 10 Feb 2018, 00:14

This is the track listing, I guess it’s the full version.

"Psycho Killer" (Byrne, Frantz, Weymouth) – 4:24
"Heaven" (Byrne, Harrison) – 3:41
"Thank You for Sending Me an Angel" (Byrne) – 2:09
"Found a Job" (Byrne) – 3:15
"Slippery People" – 4:00
"Burning Down the House" – 4:06
"Life During Wartime" – 5:51
"Making Flippy Floppy" – 4:40
"Swamp" – 4:30
"What a Day That Was" (Byrne) – 6:00
"This Must Be the Place (Naive Melody)" – 4:57
"Once in a Lifetime" (Byrne, Eno, Frantz, Harrison, Weymouth) – 5:25
"Genius of Love" (Weymouth, Frantz, Adrian Belew, Steven Stanley) (performed by Tom Tom Club) – 4:30
"Girlfriend Is Better" – 5:06
"Take Me to the River" (Green, Hodges) – 5:32
"Crosseyed and Painless" (Byrne, Eno, Frantz, Harrison, Weymouth) – 6:11

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Feb 2018, 04:11

David Byrne solo albums retain the best of the middle era TH's ethos. They're very enjoyable.
Gadfly