The Replacements - FOR SALE: LIVE AT MAXWELL'S 1986

Do talk back
Charlie O.

The Replacements - FOR SALE: LIVE AT MAXWELL'S 1986

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Oct 2017, 20:03

This show, at a tiny bar in Hoboken, New Jersey, has been my favorite bootleg (aside from maybe the Dylan Manchester one) since a coupla months after the show itself, when I got an nth-generation cassette copy (inexplicably lost decades ago).

I'd seen them a few days before this gig (NYC) and a few days after it (Charlottesville), and this was also just a few weeks after their infamous SNL appearance, so there was a tinge of nostalgia here for me, but... screw that, the 'Mats were ON for this (as they were for those shows either side of it that I saw). On what is, of course, an open question.

I searched for a CD bootleg of this for years (such things were known to exist, but I never actually got my hands on one). I wouldn't have dared to imagine that Warner Bros. actually recorded it on multi-track. But, unbelievably, they did, and here it is, only thirty-one years late. (And now I know why Paul improvised the line you can burn this tape in "Waitress In The Sky"!)

I'm listening now. It took me a few songs to get used to hearing the instrumental and vocal details with such clarity (compared with the audience boot), but I did. And it's basically everything I wanted it to be and then some. One pleasant detail revealed by this mix is just how great Bob Stinson's playing was here (by this point in the band's history, it wasn't always - especially when he knew he was being recorded). They were never really the Replacements to me after he was 86'd.

I can't know if this would convert the unconverted, but fans should definitely avail themselves of this at the earliest opportunity.

Charlie O.

Re: The Replacements - FOR SALE: LIVE AT MAXWELL'S 1986

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Oct 2017, 20:18

Okay, one complaint, now that I've heard the whole thing: they faded it out at the end before Tommy's parting joke.

Tommy: "Ask me what I'm drinking."

obliging audience member or two: "What're ya drinking?"

Tommy: "You tell me!"

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 05 Oct 2017, 20:33

Wait, so you have this? I thought it was released tomorrow.

Did you stream, or buy the CD, or the vinyl?

I see now Amazon indicates the vinyl will also come with an MP3 download, which suits me.

All the advance cuts have sounded really great.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Oct 2017, 20:37

George P. Smackers wrote:Wait, so you have this? I thought it was released tomorrow.

Did you stream, or buy the CD, or the vinyl?

I pre-ordered the CD, but managed to find a download today.

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 05 Oct 2017, 20:43

You're right about Bob Stinson. The version of "Takin a Ride" is ferocious, the whole band sounds great:

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Oct 2017, 21:21

Last edited by Charlie O. on 05 Oct 2017, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 05 Oct 2017, 22:14

Thanks, Charlie, just bought it.

Two discs? Hell, yeah...

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Oct 2017, 22:29

Just got.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Oct 2017, 22:32

The Replacements meant everything to me between around 1984 - 1990, but I haven't been tempted to play one of their records in years. I have to admit the track listing on this looks pretty tempting, though.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 Oct 2017, 00:40

Soundcheck:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 31 Oct 2017, 13:24

Nice show. Loved Maxwell's saw lots of great shows there unfortunately this wasn't one of them.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 Oct 2017, 14:52

It's an awesome set. The best live LP from any of those My-Band-Could-Be-Your-Life groups.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Oct 2017, 18:18

I have to get this. I saw them in Trenton, NJ within a couple days of this and it was one of their patented "we fuck things up" shows. Oh it was dire. I was so sad. I'd seen them be amazing six months earlier, before I knew their records. This was supposed to be the night I saw my favorite band, right at the moment they were putting out my favorite stuff, in the front row, and had the night of my life. And god damn, they fucked it all up.

I'll enjoy this release, at the same time I'll be kinda pissed that they didn't do that for us in Trenton.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 31 Oct 2017, 18:30

bobzilla77 wrote:I have to get this. I saw them in Trenton, NJ within a couple days of this and it was one of their patented "we fuck things up" shows. Oh it was dire. I was so sad. I'd seen them be amazing six months earlier, before I knew their records. This was supposed to be the night I saw my favorite band, right at the moment they were putting out my favorite stuff, in the front row, and had the night of my life. And god damn, they fucked it all up.

I'll enjoy this release, at the same time I'll be kinda pissed that they didn't do that for us in Trenton.

Yeah, I saw a similar show in '87 when they were so drunk I could barely tell what song they were playing. Saw them again in '89 and it was a professional show and everything went fine. But by then the spark that Bob provided was gone.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 31 Oct 2017, 18:31

bobzilla77 wrote:I have to get this. I saw them in Trenton, NJ within a couple days of this and it was one of their patented "we fuck things up" shows. Oh it was dire. I was so sad. I'd seen them be amazing six months earlier, before I knew their records. This was supposed to be the night I saw my favorite band, right at the moment they were putting out my favorite stuff, in the front row, and had the night of my life. And god damn, they fucked it all up.

When I saw them in Charlottesville, some friends and I chatted with Paul (drunk but very affable) a little while before they went on. We talked about the NYC show we'd been at and their SNL appearance, and when he found out that one of my friends lived in New Jersey ("Where in New Jersey?" "Roseland." "Never heard of it.") he mentioned the Trenton show, speaking of it in the most glowing terms. A few months later that same friend's brother got hold of a cassette boot of the show and told me what it was like; I'd kind of suspected as much when Paul was talking about it.

Return to “Yakety Yak”