Re: The Complete Monterey Pop Festival

Postby Jimbly » 28 Sep 2017, 23:29

You can get a second hand PS3 on Amazon for around £70
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Sep 2017, 23:29

Or you could just get a second DVD/Blu Ray player for cheap and set it up for American discs. That's been my plan for a year now. This is premised on the fact that the last player I purchased gave me the option.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 29 Sep 2017, 08:24

Two hours of performances not included in Monterey Pop, from the Association, Big Brother and the Holding Company, the Blues Project, the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, the Byrds, Country Joe and the Fish, the Electric Flag, the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Al Kooper, the Mamas and the Papas, Moby Grape, Laura Nyro, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Simon and Garfunkel, Tiny Tim, and the Who

...always been curious to see live footage of Byrds (plus Hugh on SYWTB...):

...maybe not Hey Joe :?

Staggered that Eight Miles High was not on set list. Surely, if there ever was a time...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monterey_Pop_Festival_(set_list)

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 29 Sep 2017, 12:59

Well, I was certainly wrong about the Grape footage. Should've read more carefully. Now I'm interested. The clip I saw was Omaha, it would have been one of the high points of the film had it been included in the first place.

"Quite."

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Sep 2017, 17:28

zoomboogity wrote:Well, I was certainly wrong about the Grape footage. Should've read more carefully. Now I'm interested.

I didn't see that either, zoom - and I was looking for them! (as I'm sure you were)

Okay, I'm on board again.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Sep 2017, 17:46

Mick Rickenbacker wrote:it was better than Woodstock, wasn't it?

Quite obviously and by miles, yes.

I tend to not trust any music fan that expresses nostalgia for Woodstock without mentioning Monterey.

As I've said in a previous post, if they represent a generation worth celebrating, Monterey represents the beginnings of it and Woodstock represents the end.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 29 Sep 2017, 17:59

while that's probably true, there's a lot of hindsight there. Sure, If I could fire up the wayback I would choose Monterey over Woodstock handily.
still, Woodstock did not FEEL like the end of something at the time. What NatLamp would soon satirize as "Lemmings" was certainly in the air. Look at all the outdoor festivals that sprang up in the next year or two alone!

How many of those people sliding in the mud ended up voting for Reagan? probably a lot of them. yeah, it was a hedonistic and prolonged logistical nightmare that made Warner brothers a lot of money. still, there was something in the air. I like the phrase "counterculture" it really was an "alternative" for a while. people who bought "Rolling Stone" weren't buying "Reader's Digest" - well, not on the whole.

Monterey looks like it was magical. there was some serendipity going on along with whatever Owsley had provided. Still, I'll defend Woodstock which is easy to do since I'm glad I wasn't there. I'll tell you this -- I'm certainly glad I was a kid who lived in America after it happened!
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 29 Sep 2017, 18:05

toomanyhatz wrote:
Mick Rickenbacker wrote:it was better than Woodstock, wasn't it?

Quite obviously and by miles, yes.

I tend to not trust any music fan that expresses nostalgia for Woodstock without mentioning Monterey.

As I've said in a previous post, if they represent a generation worth celebrating, Monterey represents the beginnings of it and Woodstock represents the end.

Woodstock seemed like it was a big money grab as much as it was a celebration. Monterey seemed like a celebration, and if it happened to make some money, well, okay.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 29 Sep 2017, 19:48

Last edited by zoomboogity on 29 Sep 2017, 20:04, edited 3 times in total.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 29 Sep 2017, 19:59

Charlie O. wrote:
zoomboogity wrote:Well, I was certainly wrong about the Grape footage. Should've read more carefully. Now I'm interested.

I didn't see that either, zoom - and I was looking for them! (as I'm sure you were)

Okay, I'm on board again.

The Dead too, although that's been floating around for a while:

sloopjohnc wrote:Woodstock seemed like it was a big money grab as much as it was a celebration. Monterey seemed like a celebration, and if it happened to make some money, well, okay.

Monterey Pop was set up as a charity (still is), which is how the organizers worked around bands' egos and salary demands - everyone plays for free. IIRC, Chuck Berry was invited, and that's why he turned it down.

If Woodstock was meant to make a profit, I think those hopes got dashed the minute the gates got torn down and everyone just wanted their free stuff. Other factors include weather for filming environment and living conditions (June in Monterey vs. muggy New York rain in August); the hygiene factor (at one point in Monterey we see a volunteer cleaning off all the seats in preparation for the next day's entertainment); people were growing their hair out by 1967, but being grubby and unwashed wasn't a fashion trend; and all the LSD being forced onto the musicians at Woodstock, whether they wanted it or not (esp. The Who). Acid is strictly a spectator sport when it comes to those things. But if Woodstock operated at a loss, those aerial shots gave Madison Avenue a huge stiffy over their new "demographic" to whom they could sell bell bottoms, head bands, and "War Is Not Healthy For Children And Other Living Things" posters. Hey, it's a livin'!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Sep 2017, 17:32

Are you guys sure that this new Monterey box has new footage of bands not in the old box? Show me a link please.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Sep 2017, 18:11

Matt Wilson wrote:Are you guys sure that this new Monterey box has new footage of bands not in the old box? Show me a link please.

Jesus, Matt!

In fairness, that isn't really specific. I've written to them asking the difference between the previous "complete" Blu-ray and the upcoming "complete" edition, and they haven't responded. I'm looking at the 2009 box right now, and the package says it contains "every available complete performance filmed by Pennebaker and his crew" -- (just) about two hours.
Last edited by Muskrat on 30 Sep 2017, 18:27, edited 1 time in total.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 30 Sep 2017, 18:20

Muskrat wrote:I don't know why you should expect an all-region edition.

well ex-CUSE ME! :lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Sep 2017, 18:22

Mick Rickenbacker wrote:
Muskrat wrote:I don't know why you should expect an all-region edition.

well ex-CUSE ME! :lol:

As mentioned elsewhere, they haven't done it before. Do you have better information?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Oct 2017, 01:31

Muskrat wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:Are you guys sure that this new Monterey box has new footage of bands not in the old box? Show me a link please.

Jesus, Matt!

In fairness, that isn't really specific. I've written to them asking the difference between the previous "complete" Blu-ray and the upcoming "complete" edition, and they haven't responded. I'm looking at the 2009 box right now, and the package says it contains "every available complete performance filmed by Pennebaker and his crew" -- (just) about two hours.

Jesus, Todd, the two hours of performances which weren't in the original film thing was on the last box set too. Sorry to bust your bubble. As I said earlier, the only difference is the new 4k scan, and better audio.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 01 Oct 2017, 03:19

+Grape +Dead

The outtakes disc was "just about two hours" already - 112 minutes, in fact. So we'll see what they do.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Oct 2017, 05:51

I dunno, only two extra bands. We'll have to see how much extra footage is available. I bought the DVD Criterion set (which I gave to you, if I'm not mistaken), and the first blu ray Criterion set. This just seems to be too little to splurge a third time.

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 01 Oct 2017, 05:56

Matt Wilson wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

Jesus, Matt!

Jesus, Todd, the two hours of performances which weren't in the original film thing was on the last box set too. Sorry to bust your bubble. As I said earlier, the only difference is the new 4k scan, and better audio.

I think that's what I just said -- and that I'd written (twice) for more complete details.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 01 Oct 2017, 08:22

Matt Wilson wrote:I dunno, only two extra bands.

Neither one of which is listed on the box. Wonder why.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 01 Oct 2017, 16:05

Muskrat wrote:
I think that's what I just said -- and that I'd written (twice) for more complete details.

And I said there was nothing new in this very thread even before you did. I'm not sure if you really have a point here.

Return to “Yakety Yak”