Hitchhiker

Do talk back
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Hitchhiker

Postby andymacandy » 08 Sep 2017, 16:47

Blimey, how good is this! Okay, so many of the songs have been re-done later, but its excellent stuff.
I've long favoured acoustic Neil over his epic guitar work outs, but this is the motherlode.
Bless the weather.......Image

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: Hitchhiker

Postby The Slider » 08 Sep 2017, 17:08

I am a little underwhelmed.
It sounds ok, but things like Powderfinger are totes undercooked.
Which of course they are - it is a bunch of one take demos, really.

The only reason it's his best album in 10 years is that it's 40 years old
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 08 Sep 2017, 18:44

ah! a thread exists

I just want to ask if the songs are Neil and a guitar or with acoustic back up?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 09 Sep 2017, 10:29

Walk In My Shadow wrote:ah! a thread exists

I just want to ask if the songs are Neil and a guitar or with acoustic back up?

Just Neil and a guitar.
I can see John's point-hearing Powderfinger in its raw state is a step back from the electric bravado of Rust Never Sleeps, but it still works. These are great songs.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 09 Sep 2017, 10:32

Looking forward to getting it, trusted reviews have been favourable

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 09 Sep 2017, 22:44

Ordered the vinyl, reviews very mixed, some say great, others underwhelmed. Looking forward to hearing it, perhaps should've checked the online streaming out first but what the hell.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 11 Sep 2017, 22:42

Really enjoying this - the songs are all strong and the straight acoustic treatment is all they really need, I wouldn't be without the Rust Never Sleeps versions but these songs really shine through here

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Sep 2017, 23:06

I have bought very little Neil in recent years and even though this is younger Neil, I haven't bothered even seeking out a listen little less hand over any money for it. With all the good stuff Neil supposedly has and he gives us half baked demos? WTF?
What is he waiting for? Since Archives 2 has been stillborn for years now he might as well sell off the good bits at a trickle and not bother with anything new. His muse has been leaving him at an alarming rate.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Sep 2017, 10:02

Mike Boom wrote:Really enjoying this - the songs are all strong and the straight acoustic treatment is all they really need, I wouldn't be without the Rust Never Sleeps versions but these songs really shine through here

Yea I agree, they don't sound like definitive versions on the first few listens but I like the "blissed" performance of the whole album. There must have been alot of pot in the studio.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 17 Sep 2017, 11:53

Six String wrote:he gives us half baked demos? WTF?

These are far from half-baked.For my money, this is the best thing he has released in many years.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 17 Sep 2017, 12:20

It's exactly what a lapsed NY maniac would like to get their mits on (if it wasn't for the suspicion that somewhere down the line it'll be in the Archives II set).
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2017, 00:26

andymacandy wrote:For my money, this is the best thing he has released in many years.

I direct you to Slider's observation upthread.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Six String

Postby Six String » 18 Sep 2017, 05:44

andymacandy wrote:
Six String wrote:he gives us half baked demos? WTF?

These are far from half-baked.For my money, this is the best thing he has released in many years.

I'm going to hold off a while and maybe buy it when it's dirt cheap. I love the guy but he's been pretty disappointing in recent years. I know these are older recordings when he was on but I have so much of his music I'm not feeling the need to buy everything he tosses out to us. For all the great stuff he has in the can sitting there collecting dust he gives a thirty minute lp of demos? He has comp,ete albums from his golden period that he hasn't let out.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 18 Sep 2017, 20:35

I collect Neil bootlegs so of course I was anxious to hear this.

I like it quite a lot. At the same time I don't mind the term "half-baked" applied to it, because it is not a polished production in any way. Some of the takes are not even keeper takes... "Give Me Strength" has some audible mistakes and pauses where he's not sure of the lyrics. And he doesn't even bother to try again - too bad because that's the only studio version we have. And the mix is sometimes kind of strange, with the guitar overpowering the voice. I'm guessing these were on-the-fly mixes by Briggs.

I haven't read the enclosed booklet yet but from my knowledge of the timeline, I'm thinking this was recorded right after abandoning the Stills Young Band, and before he's gotten back together with Crazy Horse. Maybe all his shit is so fucked up, all his systems so destroyed by his own bad behavior, he's feeling like the only thing to do is go into the studio with a guitar and a microphone. But then before too long, he gets the Horse back together, writes some new songs, and abandons this idea to work on American Stars & Bars instead.

The only song here that I had never heard before even on bootlegs, was "Hawaii". It's a nice song about a mysterious acquaintance, but not exactly a lost treasure, even to the extent that "Mexico" and "Kansas" are.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 18 Sep 2017, 20:38

I like it, bit short at 33 minutes but a nice set.

C
Robust

Postby C » 18 Jan 2018, 20:54

Superb

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 18 Jan 2018, 20:56

This version of “Pochohantas” has really grown on me.
uggy poopy doody.

Return to “Yakety Yak”