The George Clinton recycling thread

Do talk back
K

The George Clinton recycling thread

Postby K » 12 Aug 2017, 22:38

I love the way George Clinton recycles old tracks. This thread has been on my mind for a while and the recent sync listen thread gave me a chance to get the ball rolling. There's a lot here so you can look for the dates if that helps. So...

Funkadelic - Good Old Music

Slowed down and psyched-up. Drips with soul, but I prefer the original from 1968
The Parliaments - Good Ole Music

-----------------------
In 1968 Clinton co-wrote this track for Diana Ross
Diana Ross & the Supremes - Can't Shake Loose

He produced a slightly more gritty version for Pat Lewis in 1970
Pat Lewis - Can't Shake It Loose

which is very similar to the Funkadelic version

-----------------------
A great favourite from the self-titled debut is I'll Bet You which follows the model: reverb heavy drum intro followed by soul-dripping blues riff:

Clinton had submitted it to Motown and it became a minor hit for the Jackson 5 (a few months before, I think)

But the original production was from 1966, and it's a cracker. (I also have this track by Billy Butler, but that's just a cover)

-----------------------
In 1971 this song, Some More, seemed to bubble deep from the drugged depths of his mind, with it's soul drenched keyboards, blues licks and underwater vocals

but I prefer the previous year's northern soul stomper

-----------------------
On Maggot Brain (1971) there is this utterly fantastic track, Can You Get to That, which starts with an acoustic lick and hints at Parliament with its multiple singers. To me, it's one of their very best tracks.

It comes from a track a few years earlier released by The Parliaments. You can hear the similarities, although it is more insistent and more danceable, but it misses the real soul of the new version. Still had the multiple singers, and it's not the same song.

-----------------------
In 1972 Funkadelic released their double album, America Eats Its Young. I don't think it's like anything else they released. I love it, but it is an album of a band transitioning. Two songs on here had appeared,in very different versions, on the first Parliament album, Osmium.
I Call My Baby Pussycat

I mean, how clearly is this band Funkadelic... That's Ed Hazel on guitar, and this is too (although there were three other guitarist on AEIY), and it follows the common pattern of slowing things down, drawing out the beat and making the soul deeper.

There's also Loose Booty:

This is a classic 60s rock instrumental which shifts tack after 3 minutes to become a different sounding tune. Then, after 5 and a half minutes become a proper funk song made for dancing, JB style
Funkadelci took this part and polished up into a showcase for Bernie Worrall

-----------------------
In 1973 there was a slight shift to a more soulful Funkadelic. We don't have full-blown Parliament funk here, Cosmic Slop still has loads of psychedelic soul at its very best such as Let's Make It Last
which also has that great Clinton staple as it nods it's head to country music in the double time ending but it was recycled from this, which is not hugely different. A kind of dramatic Northern soul sound here, as Clinton tries to out-do his former employers at Motown:

Cosmic Slop also has this great soul track, Can't Stand the Strain, again foreshadowing the Parliament sound
A 1968 track written by Clinton and performed by Rose Williams. George Clinton and the Funkadelics(!) has the same tune

and in a great bit of recycling this was then released by Parliament in 1974

-----------------------
INTERMISSION
It's worth stopping here to show this great advert for Up For The Down Stroke

-----------------------
Up for the Down Stroke is a deep mine of Clinton recycling, Apart from the above we have
I Wanna Testify
and
Testify

The Goose That Laid the Golden Egg
and
The Goose

All Your Goodies are Gone
and
All Your Goodies are Gone

It's great having these different versions of the same songs. I can listen to both versions quite easily - you'll only get the Parliament version in concert nowadays, though. (And I did, The Goose last May!)
-----------------------
1974 also saw Funkadelic release Standing on the Verge of Getting it On. Moddy mentioned this last month:
I'll Stay - such incredible guitar work on this. Eddie 'Smedley Smorganoff' Hazel interplaying with Gary Shider and the "white devil" Ron Bykowski

It's a huge improvement on I'll Wait - a final doo-wop blast from the Parliaments

-----------------------
In 1975 Clinton released two of his greatest albums: Let's Take It to the Stage (Funkadelic) and the incredible Mothership Connections (Parliament). To this balding head there is very little in 1975 that can match them. The Funkadleic album has this one

Now dig this

-----------------------
Clinton felt disco simplified funk, moving it from "the one" to a straight 4-4 beat and I think I agree with him. In his hands a disco laden track is much more interesting. This is from 1978, the Brides of Funkenstein

This is a bona fide Northern soul classic from 1967

-----------------------
I think that's enough for now... well one more. This soulful number from around 1967

was re-done in 1975 for inclusion on Mothership Connection but didn't make the cut

Which is a shame, but makes sense to me. Well, maybe, that damn chorus is infectious.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

K

Re: The George Clinton recycling thread

Postby K » 14 Aug 2017, 10:23

One quick bump and then we can consign this thread to history. Nice recycling of a riff here. George Clinton produced (and co-wrote) this track for JJ Barnes in Detroit.

And we have a delightful modification of the riff here
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

TG

Postby TG » 14 Aug 2017, 14:16

That was fascinating. I knew some of those tracks and some of those covers but didn't realize all of the "recycling" that was going on. Thanks much for posting.

You know, about 9 months ago my best friend passed away. He would have loved this so much.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 14 Aug 2017, 15:26

WOW, yeah man, nice one
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Return to “Yakety Yak”