Slade

Do talk back
THE FILING FEE
hounds people off the board

Slade

Postby THE FILING FEE » 09 Aug 2017, 18:15

Sometimes I think we forget about Slade. Unlike the Beach Boys, Big Star or The Kinks, they're not classy enough for the pop historians. You don't find kids walking around in Slade T-shirts today, either - they weren't quite prominent enough for that.

But those hit singles - six number ones in the UK - were about as thrilling as it ever gets. Brutal yet playful, shouty but tuneful, they're certainly the closest we got to the Sex Pistols before that band took to the stage (and you won't find that in yer pop histories, oddly...). They understood the beauty in simplicity like nobody else.

I don't think this can be bettered:

If you close your eyes at the start you can still see crowds of 11-year-olds running to the school disco dancefloor in 1973. It brings tears to my eyes.

And at 0:49, when the first chorus comes in, it's little more than a yobbish chant - but it sends shivers up the spine. At least it does for me!

At 3:29, some kind of primitive (synthetic?) percussion comes in that just lifts the song a little higher. And Noddy's ad-libs towards the end are easily as good as Ian Hunter's at the end of 'Dudes' - but fired-up rather than wistful.

Did they do any better?
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Rayge

Re: Slade

Postby Rayge » 09 Aug 2017, 19:00

I agree with pretty much everything you said. They were a ray of light in the dark days of public-school prog, and Dave was the yob's yob.
And they have been rather unfairly written out of the histories. They were like the Pistols, with their very own Matlock in Jim Lea, who could write a good tune.
Only disagreement: while Noize is a stormer, I was in my 20s when it came out and didn't go to many school discos, and I just about prefer this (at the end of this interminable sentence) for the Jugganauth factor, although as far as their hits go, they're all welcome except that bleeding Xmas one. I wonder if that's why they are so often disrgarded, because the only thing people hear on the radio now is that pinata of boozy bonhomie.

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Aug 2017, 19:23

First single I bought with my own money was "Coz I Luv U" and never looked back really.

They got the raucous tag, but they could do reflective quieter stuff too. "How Does It Feel?" from slightly later is a beautifully constructed tune, with great horns.

I like the lesser known stuff too - "Pouk Hill" is a particular favourite.

David Duke wrote:“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists.”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Aug 2017, 19:30

And Noddy is fucking fabulous on this...

Great vocalist.
David Duke wrote:“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists.”

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Aug 2017, 19:31

It seems they are being mentioned a lot more these days (last decade or so), which is a great thing. Still doesn't come close to the experience of hearing them, which is always more visceral than you remember. Seem regularly to be mentioned in the same breath as Sweet, Roxy Music, Bolan -- summing up glam or glitter rock in one quick definition, as if those bands are somehow all the same.* When you hear them, it's very different, fun and pure, similar to what the Faces did with their more laid-back rootsy sound, but with way better songs and pop instincts.

* They're really not. Like saying Beatles/Stones/Who as if they are -- they are all quite different. You'd never mistake one for another.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 09 Aug 2017, 19:37

It's funny that people always banged on about the Beatles in relation to Oasis when it was really Slade they much closer to. At their best they shared a knack for anthemic pop/rock that combined the best of both worlds although Slade were much better.

Cum On Feel The Noize is probably their peak.

Their reputation is probably spoiled by certain "novelty" aspects: the song titles, daves fringe, Noddys hat and, yes, THAT Xmas song.
Copehead wrote:You are making a fool of yourself.

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Aug 2017, 19:38

Goat Boy wrote:It's funny that people always banged on about the Beatles in relation to Oasis when it was really Slade they much closer to. At their best they shared a knack for anthemic pop/rock that combined the best of both worlds although Slade were much better.

Their reputation is probably spoiled by certain "novelty" aspects: the song titles, daves fringe, Noddys hat and, yes, THAT Xmas song.

What BCB's 5th Biggest Cunt Ever said.

Glam is not a sound I particularly like, although obviously I do give two hoots for Bowie's glam period, some T Rex and Roxy (who weren't really glam in sound anyway). But Slade are always top fun.
Darkness_Fish wrote:One slight disappointment was that there turns out to be two cinemas in Bolton

K

Postby K » 09 Aug 2017, 19:41

Goat Boy wrote:It's funny that people always banged on about the Beatles in relation to Oasis when it was really Slade they much closer to. At their best they shared a knack for anthemic pop/rock that combined the best of both worlds although Slade were much better.

And cupasoup and monster truck glue
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Aug 2017, 20:42

Yeah, Slade have kinda been written out of the history books, I think Noddy Holder is probably more famous these days just for popping up on 'stuff on the telly or radio' fairly frequently, rather than being an iconic voice in a very distinctive band. They never looked cool, they never gave off a sense of danger, but they're just about as loud as properly mainstream pop ever got. Seems weird that Kiss exist, when this lot did it all before, with Brummie accents, bad teeth, and fragments of mirrors glued to a hat.

I still think the band most written out of pop history is Bad Manners. Buster Bloodvessel was bloody everywhere when I was a kid, now you never hear of 'em, not even on TOTP2, Sounds of the 80s, whatever. I bet even 2 Tone/ska retrospectives wouldn't mention 'em.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 09 Aug 2017, 21:06

My Friend Stan came on shuffle the other day and I'll admit it's not one I ever thought much of, but it made me smile. Funny that I only have a compilation from them.
I run out of talent

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Aug 2017, 21:22

They were great at what they did, although a little goes a long way. It's cheap and cheerful stuff that doesn't need to be elevated to something that it's not.
They're the kind of band that everyone likes, but no one actually plays when they're at home. :D

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Aug 2017, 21:26

Darkness_Fish wrote:
I still think the band most written out of pop history is Bad Manners. Buster Bloodvessel was bloody everywhere when I was a kid, now you never hear of 'em, not even on TOTP2, Sounds of the 80s, whatever. I bet even 2 Tone/ska retrospectives wouldn't mention 'em.

Think you're misremembering how popular they were, 'Special Brew' was quite a big hit and then they had a couple of other top 20s, but that was about it. Someone like The Beat (to name a contemporary) were much bigger.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 09 Aug 2017, 21:31

I love Slade.

I saw them first in a Dutch TV live broadcast, on VPRO's Piknik.

The first song was 'Get Down And Get With It', IIRC, in glorious black and white, with a tiny mono speaker of about 1 Watt.

I didn't know what hit me there. After much AOR and MOR, it was a breath of fresh air.

I don't own one single track of them, but I am certain, at age 58, that they changed my preferences, and my life as a consequence.

Do others have such experiences, probably with other bands?
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

THE FILING FEE
hounds people off the board

Postby THE FILING FEE » 09 Aug 2017, 21:32

The Modernist wrote:They were great at what they did, although a little goes a long way. It's cheap and cheerful stuff that doesn't need to be elevated to something that it's not.

Their best stuff is as good as anything more celebrated from that decade.

The Modernist wrote:They're the kind of band that everyone likes, but no one actually plays when they're at home. :D

No!

and to think I was celebrating your return!
BB wrote:The exodus of posters from here over the years can be put directly at your door. Many people don't agree, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Aug 2017, 21:38

Part of the problem with them is their discography isn't really clear. Bands with consistent labels (not on multiple labels) and organized reissue campaigns have a logic to their releases. It's never been clear to me which Slade albums are the ones to get or what order they came in. As a side thing, here in the US, their records were never as plentiful in used bins as Queen, Roxy, and Bowie, so there has always been less opportunity to take a chance with something.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Aug 2017, 21:42

They never made a truly great album, I'll grant G that. But to suggest no one listens to them and they're only a 'fun' band - well that's ridiculous. When I see some of the utter shit acts that are trumpeted as the second coming on here though, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Aug 2017, 21:44

The Modernist wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:

Think you're misremembering how popular they were, 'Special Brew' was quite a big hit and then they had a couple of other top 20s, but that was about it. Someone like The Beat (to name a contemporary) were much bigger.

I'm talking from a time when I was 6 or 7, to be sure, but they were proper pop-stars, on Swap-Shop and everything. "Can Can", "Lip Up Fatty", and "Special Brew" especially. I don't recall The Beat having that kind of mainstream impact. But you still hear "Mirror in the Bathroom", if nothing else.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Aug 2017, 22:06

THE FILING FEE wrote:
The Modernist wrote:They were great at what they did, although a little goes a long way. It's cheap and cheerful stuff that doesn't need to be elevated to something that it's not.

Their best stuff is as good as anything more celebrated from that decade.

The Modernist wrote:They're the kind of band that everyone likes, but no one actually plays when they're at home. :D

No!

and to think I was celebrating your return!

I was complimenting them!

They're kind of the British AC/DC.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 09 Aug 2017, 22:15

Darkness_Fish wrote:
The Modernist wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:

I'm talking from a time when I was 6 or 7, to be sure, but they were proper pop-stars, on Swap-Shop and everything. "Can Can", "Lip Up Fatty", and "Special Brew" especially. I don't recall The Beat having that kind of mainstream impact. But you still hear "Mirror in the Bathroom", if nothing else.

They appeared on a load of kids programmes I'm sure, but The Beat were much bigger.
Bad Manners were on the same level ( in terms of their impact) as Modern Romance. Slightly tawdry acts who had a couple of hits. I wouldn't expect either to get a Mojo retrospective any time soon!

neville harp
cultural defective

Postby neville harp » 09 Aug 2017, 22:40

Bad Manners were the scene's Menswear.
Diamond Dog wrote:I can only suggest you check the FB thread The Prof started about us - and see how well you did in that me old china.

K wrote: (But I am happily married, John)

Return to “Yakety Yak”