Can you recommend a book on Fleetwood Mac?

Do talk back
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Can you recommend a book on Fleetwood Mac?

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Jul 2017, 19:07

A biography, that is.

I'm primarily interested in the earlier period and especially the stories of Green, Spencer and Kirwan. The wife-swapping, coke-snorting, California period is of lesser - but still some - interest and the last 30 years or so are of no interest whatsoever.

I also want to find out what the deal was with Bob Welch getting snubbed at the R&R Hall of Fame induction and the "fake Fleetwood Mac" story of the mid-70s.

Any recommendations are appreciated!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Can you recommend a book on Fleetwood Mac?

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Jul 2017, 19:30

Snarfyguy wrote:A biography, that is.

I'm primarily interested in the earlier period and especially the stories of Green, Spencer and Kirwan. The wife-swapping, coke-snorting, California period is of lesser - but still some - interest and the last 30 years or so are of no interest whatsoever.

I also want to find out what the deal was with Bob Welch getting snubbed at the R&R Hall of Fame induction and the "fake Fleetwood Mac" story of the mid-70s.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

The fake Fleetwood Mac were Stretch ("Why Did You Do It") weren't they? Wasn't the story that Mick Fleetwood got the manager to get a band together to fulfil prior tour commitments, only for Fleetwood himself not to show and then deny any knowledge of the whole thing?!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Jul 2017, 20:13

Mick Fleetwood has written a couple of memoirs. I've read the first, and it's very readable.

And Martin Celmins wrote a biography of Peter Green (with Green's cooperation). It's alright.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Jul 2017, 20:23

Charlie O. wrote:Mick Fleetwood has written a couple of memoirs. I've read the first, and it's very readable.

Would you say he's a reliable narrator though? I understand there's quite a bit of, shall we say, disputed accounts of many chapters in the band's history.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Jul 2017, 23:32

Snarfyguy wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Mick Fleetwood has written a couple of memoirs. I've read the first, and it's very readable.

Would you say he's a reliable narrator though? I understand there's quite a bit of, shall we say, disputed accounts of many chapters in the band's history.

I'm sure there's a Rashoman factor there, yeah. Would anyone else in the band be more reliable? I don't know, but I doubt it.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 28 Jul 2017, 01:05

Charlie O. wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

I'm sure there's a Rashoman factor there, yeah. Would anyone else in the band be more reliable? I don't know, but I doubt it.

I don't know, isn't he the one who threw Bob Welch under the bus on Hall of Fame thing over some royalty spat? I don't expect him to come clean on that!

But I get what you're saying.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2017, 01:39

I think he's a dick. that doesn't mean he didn't write a lively book (I've had many recommend it)
I was a little taken aback by how he didn't want to let anybody talk (except himself & Peter Green) at that Hall of Fame Thingamabob.
Shit, let's face it, Buckingham-Nicks, The McVies AND Bob Welch had more than a little to do with getting them there. What a glory hog he was on that broadcast. p-tooey!
uggy poopy doody.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 28 Jul 2017, 22:05

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:I think he's a dick. that doesn't mean he didn't write a lively book (I've had many recommend it)
I was a little taken aback by how he didn't want to let anybody talk (except himself & Peter Green) at that Hall of Fame Thingamabob.
Shit, let's face it, Buckingham-Nicks, The McVies AND Bob Welch had more than a little to do with getting them there. What a glory hog he was on that broadcast. p-tooey!

He's always been great at awards ceremonies. Remember the BRITS?

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2017, 23:00

no but I just had a look on YouTube.
I'm guessing you mean 1989, right? YIKES!
I thought our award shows were train wrecks!
uggy poopy doody.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Jul 2017, 18:49

I don't think there's a biog I could recommend, i've read several but many are loose on the facts, the whole Mick Fleetwood/Fake Mac/Stretch episode was very strange, he always bypassed that one and ive never seen him fully comment. The band involved are convinced he was involved but later backed out. All conveniently forgotten.

There is a Radio 1 hour long interview, a radio show called "Insight" from 1976. An interview with the Buckingham Nicks line-up recorded just after Fleetwood Mac 1975 and whilst they were recording Rumours. They talk about the history on the band (i have it on my ipod, listened a few times now, regulary repeated overnight in the BBC6 music classic documentary slot. I'm happy to share via email if anyone wants, altho would be 60mb and no clue how to upload so anyone can download, perhaps burning to cd is preference, happy to do so if anyone wants.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t4r65

As for biog's, any of these:

This is just okay, i have on kindle, very much about Fleetwoods personal life rather than the music.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Play-N ... etwood+mac

Have long been tempted to get this but its only about Rumours.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Never- ... +biography

Bob Brunning was briefly in the band as bassist before McVie finally joined from John Mayall. Its old and doesnt include the later era, think it was published in the 90's but you could do worse. Not perfect but if you can find cheap its probably as good as you'll get. He has an "in" to the band but isnt reliant on upsetting anyone. Read it a long time ago tho so has been a while.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fleetwood-Mac- ... +biography

There maybe better out there, surprising there isnt one but i suppose its been covered so many times by TV now. Worth also checking the 1997 BBC Rock Family Tree episode on the Mac, its on youtube, features Bob's Welch and Weston (both have now passed.) I think at the time Stevie Nicks was out of the band so John McVie isnt too polite. Or for a more shiny version go to 1988 "BBC Fleetwood Mac at 21," where Mick Fleetwood gives some fluffy excuses for losing his fortune.

Id head to those 2 first, should be on youtube, then pick up Bob Brunnings biog on the cheap.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Jul 2017, 18:52

Essential viewing, pour yourself a large one and enjoy. I still watch this from time to time.

For once i cant get the youtube to post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYaE5qF ... jYnTLQLAbj

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 29 Jul 2017, 20:45

Pool Hall Richard wrote:I don't think there's a biog I could recommend, i've read several but many are loose on the facts, the whole Mick Fleetwood/Fake Mac/Stretch episode was very strange, he always bypassed that one and ive never seen him fully comment. The band involved are convinced he was involved but later backed out. All conveniently forgotten.

My recollection is that he did talk about it in his first book, claiming he had nothing to do with it and didn't know about it until the fake band was already on the road.

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 29 Jul 2017, 21:19

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:no but I just had a look on YouTube.
I'm guessing you mean 1989, right? YIKES!
I thought our award shows were train wrecks!

Yes, '89. What were they thinking!

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 29 Jul 2017, 21:49

Charlie O. wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:I don't think there's a biog I could recommend, i've read several but many are loose on the facts, the whole Mick Fleetwood/Fake Mac/Stretch episode was very strange, he always bypassed that one and ive never seen him fully comment. The band involved are convinced he was involved but later backed out. All conveniently forgotten.

My recollection is that he did talk about it in his first book, claiming he had nothing to do with it and didn't know about it until the fake band was already on the road.

I didnt get to read the first book. Would like to at some stage.

The guys from Stretch were recently interviewed on Johnnie Walkers Sounds of the 70s radio show, seems they still have beef with Fleetwood. A long time to hold a grudge.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 30 Jul 2017, 00:37

I enjoyed that Family Tree thing. Thanks for the link. Bob Welch sure seemed like an upbeat guy, huh?
uggy poopy doody.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 30 Jul 2017, 08:55

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:I enjoyed that Family Tree thing. Thanks for the link. Bob Welch sure seemed like an upbeat guy, huh?

Its a great watch, and John Peel doing the voiceover too.

All the previous TV retrospectives i'd seen, including F.Mac at 21, ignored the middle years - 1971-1974, so good to see both Bob's being interviewed. Havent seen any comment from Dave Walker, there's a guy that needs to be interviewed, briefly singer with Fleetwood Mac and later briefly replacement for Ozzy in Sabbath.

But yes, Bob Welch interview was good. I expect there was a big long interview and they cut it down. As much as I love this episode of Rock Family Tree's i reckon there was a good extended version that could've been made/released on DVD, discuss each era further rather than have to squeeze down to 60minutes. All the same a great episode.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 30 Jul 2017, 11:42

There's also a couple of great Peter Green docs on BBC. One from the 90's/early 00's that dwells on his lost years and a more recent one where he's interviewed from his home in Canvey Island, that one features Jeremy Spencer which is illuminating. All thats missing is Kirwan.

I always thought there's a great film to be made about Peter Green, particularly the 70's period when he was in decline while Fleetwood Mac were shooting to megastardom. Bit ghoulish, but still, it'll sell tickets.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 30 Jul 2017, 12:09

Charlie O. wrote:

From Wiki....

During the band's 1973 American tour, they appeared on the Midnight Special, but during the venture, it became clear that Bob Weston was having an affair with Mick Fleetwood's wife Jenny. Although Fleetwood tried to carry on playing with Weston, regardless of the extramarital issues, it soon became clear that something had to give and after a gig in Lincoln, Nebraska. Fleetwood told the McVies and Welch he could no longer play with Weston in the line-up. John Courage, the band's road manager, fired Weston and put him on a plane back to the UK. With the tour cut short, the band also went back to England to break the news to their manager Clifford Davis, who was so angry that he sent another bunch of musicians on the road as Fleetwood Mac, claiming that he owned the name..................

A severely fucked up band throughout, it seems :)
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 30 Jul 2017, 16:24

Diamond Dog wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:

From Wiki....

During the band's 1973 American tour, they appeared on the Midnight Special, but during the venture, it became clear that Bob Weston was having an affair with Mick Fleetwood's wife Jenny. Although Fleetwood tried to carry on playing with Weston, regardless of the extramarital issues, it soon became clear that something had to give and after a gig in Lincoln, Nebraska. Fleetwood told the McVies and Welch he could no longer play with Weston in the line-up. John Courage, the band's road manager, fired Weston and put him on a plane back to the UK. With the tour cut short, the band also went back to England to break the news to their manager Clifford Davis, who was so angry that he sent another bunch of musicians on the road as Fleetwood Mac, claiming that he owned the name..................

A severely fucked up band throughout, it seems :)

Very much agreed.

The Wiki entry is correct and that part is known, what is debated is how much Fleetwood himself was involved with the "fake" Mac. They say he was, he seems to distance himself from it.

A film should be made about that band. A soap opera from beginning to end.

Danny Kirwan seems to be one that has fallen completely off the radar, most reports suggest he lives in a hostel but Jeremy Spencer suggested he's okay, not quite as downtrodden as reports suggest. But nobody has seen him for years. Good he's been left in peace to be honest, obviously not cut out for stardom. Hell of a player tho back in the day.

Green has disappeared again. That whole Splinter Group episode seems to be shrouded in some strange goings on. All a bit hush-hush about how it ended. I don't know the facts, does anyone else?? A legal falling out with the guy who put the band together??

If they did make a film people would say its too crazy a tale to be true. :D

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Jul 2017, 18:44

The Wiki entry is correct and that part is known, what is debated is how much Fleetwood himself was involved with the "fake" Mac. They say he was, he seems to distance himself from it.

A film should be made about that band. A soap opera from beginning to end.

Fleetwood MacGuffin!
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”