No votes
f) Never heard it, never want to.
14%

Total votes: 14

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

The Buckingham Nicks album......

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 10:08

Having just ordered a CD copy of this, I'm interested in others opinions on it.

Yes there's a poll, so, yes please vote but (please) give your opinions of the album.

Myself I've kind of obsessed over it the past month or so - it's so clearly the pre-cursor for "Rumours" that I'm amazed it's only recently received a (very expensive!) CD release. Do we know if the two artists like it, or is there one that's fonder of it than the other.... what's the reasons for its huge delay in making it to the CD market and why in such a limited capacity at that?
Some of the writing (by both) is right up to their absolute best.... "Without A Leg To Stand On" "Crystal" "Long Distance Winner" (I love that stuttered riff), "Races Are Run" are such wonderful examples of their strengths.... the two Buckingham solo guitar workouts are both superb... but the real standout track is the collaboration final track "Frozen Love" which could have sat anywhere on "Rumours" and not been out of place (as could a few of the other tracks here).

So...opinions please....
David Duke wrote:“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists.”

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: The Buckingham Nicks album......

Postby yomptepi » 23 Jul 2017, 10:27

It's a bootleg.
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 10:29

What the version I've put on here from Youtube?
David Duke wrote:“Thank you President Trump for your honesty & courage to tell the truth about #Charlottesville & condemn the leftist terrorists.”

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 23 Jul 2017, 10:33

The CD version you just bought. There has not been an official re release. It is the same old vinyl rip that has been going around for years.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 23 Jul 2017, 10:37

Ya , only the original vinyl is , original.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 23 Jul 2017, 10:38

Discogs has some versions for sale , bit of a minefield though.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 23 Jul 2017, 10:50

Apparently there is a re-issue version available on the Big Pink-label
https://www.discogs.com/Buckingham-Nick ... e/10049307

Looks like it's got some tracks off the Coffee Plant-sessions on it too.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 23 Jul 2017, 10:54

A bootleg.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 11:04

Okay...I read it was an officially sanctioned release... not to worry...

What do you thin k of the album?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 23 Jul 2017, 11:10

I don't like it.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 11:13

:)

TG

Postby TG » 23 Jul 2017, 13:57

I've never heard the album but your thread reminded me of a story. When the Rumours LP was a huge hit the Buckingham Nicks album suddenly became collectible. The K-Mart discount store chain would have a 3 or 4 for a dollar LP sale every couple of months and you could find a handful of the Buckingham Nicks LPs at each store for a year or so. I'd run to the 3 or 4 stores near me and buy them all and resell them for for way more than the 25¢ or 33¢ that I paid for them. I had a nice supplemental teenaged income from that record for quite a while. But I never opened or played one of them.

I also found multiple sealed copies of the first Stooges LP and I still have one or two of them!
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Jul 2017, 15:00

The Big Pink bootleg does sound very good - better than other boots I've heard.

That said... it's a meh album. You can tell there's talent and maybe even vision there, but the white FM album was a quantum leap forward.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 15:16

Charlie O. wrote:
That said... it's a meh album. You can tell there's talent and maybe even vision there, but the white FM album was a quantum leap forward.

I'm intrigued by that Charlie.... I actually much prefer this to the following album. This sounds like they had a really clear plan of what they wanted it to sound like, whereas the first FM album with them in the lineup always sounded a bit confused to me. And I don;t think it has the material this does either. But I'm going to listen to it again, just to see....

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 23 Jul 2017, 15:25

Love it. Great songs, Crying in the Night, Races are Run, Don't Let Me Down Again, Crystal, Frozen Love - I think its better than the white Fleetwood Mac album.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 23 Jul 2017, 16:23

TG wrote:I've never heard the album but your thread reminded me of a story. When the Rumours LP was a huge hit the Buckingham Nicks album suddenly became collectible. The K-Mart discount store chain would have a 3 or 4 for a dollar LP sale every couple of months and you could find a handful of the Buckingham Nicks LPs at each store for a year or so. I'd run to the 3 or 4 stores near me and buy them all and resell them for for way more than the 25¢ or 33¢ that I paid for them. I had a nice supplemental teenaged income from that record for quite a while. But I never opened or played one of them.

I also found multiple sealed copies of the first Stooges LP and I still have one or two of them!

:D :D :D

Wonderful!

Supply and demand!

Are you a neoliberal perchance?
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 23 Jul 2017, 16:36

I really do think of this as Lindsey Buckingham's If I Could Only Remember My Name or Low - there's a sound and a mood that I can absolutely get with. I'm not sure these are the best songs a person has ever written, but that sort of "second side of Big Star's #1 Record ambiance" (bejeweled 12 string acoustic guitars, layered harmonies) is something I'm typically happy to let wash over me.

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes

Postby Bride Of Sea Of Tunes » 23 Jul 2017, 16:46

Bent Fabric wrote:I really do think of this as Lindsey Buckingham's If I Could Only Remember My Name or Low - there's a sound and a mood that I can absolutely get with. I'm not sure these are the best songs a person has ever written, but that sort of "second side of Big Star's #1 Record ambiance" (bejeweled 12 string acoustic guitars, layered harmonies) is something I'm typically happy to let wash over me.

Wonderful statement. Buckingham is IMHO a man with a true genius side. I don't know if he made some wrong decisions in his career - and anyway, it's not up to me to say what he should have done. I am not him. But his best moments in Mac, and in his solo career, are signs of something touching and unique.
The invisible and the non-existing very much look alike.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jul 2017, 16:59

So we're all Buckingham/Nicks-era Mac fans now? I can remember when it wasn't fashionable on BCB to admit that. The best era for the band was the Peter Green one, followed by the post-Green/pre Buckingham/Nicks time.
John 'master of temperance and tolerance' Coan wrote:Oh calm down for fuck's sake!

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 23 Jul 2017, 17:03

Speak for yourself Wilson. I would never admit to being a fan of any Rumours era FM. I do like Tusk though

Return to “Yakety Yak”